Bogene's Settings

Isn't trying to communicate by typing words fun! In my case while in the road banging out quick replies at a rest stop. None taken nor given JP, I ALWAYS appreciate your presence on the forum, as do many others I am sure.

Sorry to say I just have low odds hopes of finding a nugget over an ounce in any given year so tuning specifically for larger nuggets is pretty much wishful thinking. I think I really score if I get a 1/4 oz nugget!

• Like 1

JP, IIRC I read another post a month or so ago where you said something similar to the effect that the benefits of General will become much more apparent with the release of the larger coil.

Can you elaborate a bit? Is there a reason a larger coil compliments General more than High Yield?

Also, if a smaller coil is released do you have any thoughts about potential ground issues? As sensitive as the machine already is I've been wondering if a smaller coil might be "too" sensitive and end up with a lot of ground noise issues.

Not trying to butt in on JP!

My expectation for small coils runs the opposite. Small coils are not more sensitive per se. They see less ground and so the signal (target) to noise (ground) ratio is superior to that of large coils. A small coil should work better with High Yield.

Large coils see more ground and so the longer time constants employed in General and Extra Deep allow big coils to punch deeper on big nuggets without being swamped with ground noise, as would no doubt happen in High Yield.

Again, Eureka Gold comparison. Three frequencies, 60 kHz (High Yield), 20 kHz (General), 6.4 kHz (Extra Deep). If you get the 15" Coiltek coil for the Eureka you will find it is only recommended for the 6.4 kHz setting for all the same reasons. Small coils get the most bang at 60 kHz.

I actually tried this bogene setting on the 5000 yesterday. I didnt find any gold trying the setting out. But I did find lots of deep sharpnel junk. I turned the threshold off after gb. Then had it in general, sens. Xtra. Turned up the gain to 18 and stab. Up to 14. The ground I was at is mild mineralization with little patches of hot iron dirt concentrations in the native red dirt. This setting would hit on ground noise from them a little more. But even the vlfs hit these too. I did find that the tail end of the signals drop off rather quick. Not sure if I would run this setting all the time. Just seems different with no threshold. I did find a piece of gold earlier in the day running my regular settings with new coiltek mono elite.

Well she who has to be obeyed let me go out for the day to try the Bogenes settings on little broken down reef from last weekend. Turned sensitivity full, threshold 10, high yield difficult. Wow 4 small scraps 3 at 3-4" other on surface all positive solid definite signals much easier to centre and retrieve, only 1.22 grams weight in the 4 but enough to know, many thanks Sandy. Certainly I had my doubts after a threshold always just audible for 30 years plus, but no more. Tried in deeper ground down a bit below reef, nothing so maybe nothing detectable there or Bogenes settings are for shallow ground.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sunday we were using Bogene's settings as it was noisy yet again. The EMI dropped considerably close to noon, but as we were on a roll we persisted and ended up with 31 bits for 14 grams. It is amazing how small some of these bits are and the depth they come from, especially considering we have been hammering this spot since 2008 with all the Minelabs since then. There are 2 little bits in the 0's of the GPZ7000 logo that will be about 0.05 in weight.

IMG_0446.jpg

• Like 8

Hi Sandy,

Such a pleasure to see you posting here. 

This forum continues to attract some of the most experienced detectorist's in the world.

Your picture shows once again that the 7000 shines at finding porous and/or rough pieces.

From fiddling with Bogene's settings on a 5000, it is pretty conclusive that in the right situation, they work.

Hope all is well with you, maybe PM at some point.

Flak

• 2 years later...

Norvic,

You and Paul need to give all of us an update on your Bogene's and the 19.

JW might like it.

I know I will.

Mitchel

Mn, no haven`t had any success with Bogenes on the 19, but then again I`ve mainly been with sensitivity around 20, threshold 27,  General, no audio smoothing and in normal if the ground allows it, which is so in most of the ground I do. But could at any time change, tis what  puts the weight in the pocket that counts. I feel Bogenes is more for the 14" where one is on a noisy patch, that is superheated with a blazing hot sun and you`ve flogged it with all settings, coils etc. It reinforces the old Irish saying "never leave a patch til you`ve dug another piece" and I reckon that`s exactly what JWs doing, a good test for the 19".

Heh if he doesn`t hurry up how about we nick over the ponds and do a bit of moonlighting...........:wink:

• Like 1

Thanks for that JW, same here you are most welcome, always a bed, feed and a beer.

• Like 1