kiwijw

16 Bits For Just Over Half An Ounce

JW,

The story was great, and the pictures a bonus. Great job, hope that you get to move into the new place soon. Thanks for posting. If I am not mistaken you are located in New Zealand, right?

Keith

Hi there Keith, Thanks for dropping bye & for your comments. :) . House is still a long way off moving in as I am building it by myself. I have got it to the stage of ready for roof. It has been a bit of a mission & ended up starting it just on winter......so that wasnt much fun with the ice & snow & frozen conditions & short day light hours. Was supposed to have started it in summer but with a few architect errors on the plans etc....it dragged on.

Yes you are correct. I am in the Queenstown area of Central Otago NZ.

Cheers.

Good luck out there.

JW :)  

JW,

My brother lives in New Zealand and I've been wanting to visit him for awhile. He lives in the Marlborough region.

Logistically it would be a lot easier visiting him and doing some detecting instead of a place like Australia because I'd already have a house to stay in, a car etc. and a local that would know the area.

How are the prospects for nugget shooting out there?

Thanks

Thanks for sharing your adventure John, you seem quite satisfied with the interference filter. That is a whack of beautiful gold... congratulations!!! Good luck with the house construction too!!  :)

Jim.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By kiwijw
      Hi guys, I headed back to the spot where I got 10, Eleven but lost one on getting home, bits of gold that I showed a couple of posts ago. I got chased out by the dark & hadnt quite finished the area. Due to my little bit of success I was keen to go back & finish it. I just took the GM with 5" coil as per before. Traveling nice & light. 👍 I didn't get there until 2pm & we had a hum dinger of a frost this morning & got a stunning clear blue sky day out of it. This spot at this time of the year gets no direct sun & was still in hard frost when I got there.

Bugger. going to be hard ground to go with it. It took me a while to get my first signal.

I had to use the pointy end of the pick to "break" the ground out & the signal was coming from that frozen clump of dirt. 

I broke it in half & then saw a bit of gold poking its tongue out at me.

Tiny.
      A 2nd signal wasn't long in coming

Another small bit of gold

That was it from this area, In could get nothing else. So I moved on to another area that had been good to me in the past. I got a few pellets & quite a few signals all in a very tight area. The ground didn't look overly favourable so after a few pellets I decided to give the other signals a miss & jumped across an old tailing race to a spot where I got a nice haul of chunky gold back with my GP 3000. Thinking this would be worth having a go for tiny gold with the Gold monster. I knew there was rotten schist  bedrock not far down & I was going to scrape off the top dirt to expose this bedrock for the monster. I did a quick scan before doing so & BANG, got a signal. Not thinking it was going to be gold.
      But it was

Nothing more so I scraped away about an inch of gravels over a bit of an area. Got numerous very soft faint signals.
      Gold

Gold

And more Gold

I then whittled down a very positive hit to a bit of small schist 

It was nutting off. How I didnt discard it initially I dont know. I was in full max sensitivity 10, Deep all metal mode & the gold chance indicator was hard all the way to the right & not flickering at all. I went into iron reject & the audio was nutting off & the gold chance indicator still hard to the right. I had rubbed the stone clean of dirt, or so I thought, & couldn't work out what the heck was going on. My magnet ignored it. I rubbed it again to clean or dislodge any gold that might have been stuck to it. Nothing dropped off into my scoop. I tumbled the stone over in my hand.....and then I saw it.

Mystery solved. Was a bit of a head scratcher.

Once these signals dried up I just scraped down to the schist bedrock & signals & gold just kept on coming. I ended up smashing into the bedrock & still they kept coming.

I then got a very good hit & the biggest bit of the day came to light.

Still the signals & tiny gold kept coming. I gave up taking pics as it was not far off dark & getting bloody cold. My feet were going numb. I called it quits at 20 pieces & will have to come back to it.

.61 of a gram. Was bloody fun though. I will be back. It ain't over.....
      The Gold Monster was on fire.

Cheers
      Good luck out there
      JW 
    • By kiwijw
      Hi guys, I guess the jet boating was a bit out of place so I will give it a miss. I can actually do without the video editing of a clip I was going to put up. So skipping ahead to sunday just gone. I was going to go jet boating up the Dart River at the top end of Lake Wakatipu as the New Zealand Jet Boating Association had its annual general meeting in Queenstown over the weekend & the Otago branch was celebrating its 50th anniversary on Saturday night, of which I am a member. So Mrs JW & I went along to that.

They were following up with a jet boat run up the Dart River on sunday. Ironically Mrs JW & I did the Dart River on Saturday as the commercial operation was having a half price locals day which we had booked in advance. I was still keen to go in our boat on sunday but Mrs JW wasn't.  The river was very low & there has been bad fog. so all that could have ended up in a few groundings. I think Mrs JW is still getting over the pushing we had to do the other weekend on the West Coast.
      So come sunday I decided to go for an afternoon detect to a local area. I grabbed the Gold Monster with its 5" coil & relented in taking the Nox or the GB2. Just the GM. Many of you will recognise the area from photos of previous posts of gold finds that I have made here. It is where I very first used my Nox 800 & the success I had there with it & also many times with the Gold Monster & GB2. No one knows better than me that you never get all the gold from a good producing spot. Ever. No matter how many times you go over it. No matter how very slow & thorough you have been each & every time.  I have given up being surprised at getting more gold on different days at various location. Ok... it is very small gold, hence taking the GM 1000 & 5" coil. The Zed just can't cut it here anymore, but who knows...maybe one day it will. The thing I was banking on this day was how damp the ground was & how deep the dampness had penetrated into the ground due to a few recent snow falls that had melted away. But the cold winter days & frosts hadn't allowed the ground to dry out. I know I bang on about how this helps with better sensitivity & ground depth penetration, but it just seems to be a fact.
      So I get to the spot. Fire up the GM. Let it cycle through its start up tuning. Deep All Metal Mode, Full max sensitivity on 10 & just using the detectors internal speaker backed off a couple of notches from full max & into it. Despite the damp ground it is running sweet in our insanely mild ground. Due to getting many small bits of gold here I am in absolutely no hurry with my coil sweep speed. Coil kissing the ground. Not even a couple of minutes into it I get my first signal. I said to myself that I should video this from start to recovery. I didn't....but I went through the whole procedure as if I was videoing it. Even talking it out. I went through all the settings. Auto sensitivity, Auto + sensitivity. Backed off to 9, 8 ,7 All metal mode & Iron reject. First off in 10 sensitivity & deep all metal when I first got the signal it was a very positive hit with the gold chance indicator saying non ferrous most of the time, but the occasional flicker to the dark side. Push the detect mode button to iron reject & still a very strong positive hit & audio signal. If it was ferrous it would have been silent in the audio & the gold chance indicator would have favoured the left side. So I was of no doubt that it was non ferrous. But was it going to be gold? I went back into deep all metal & backed off the sensitivity to 9, still a strong good hit & the gold chance indicator flicking to the right but being a bit eratic, 8 still a hit but a lot weaker. Would have pulled ME up but there was no movement on the gold chance indicator at all. Ok...time to dig. More of a scrape really. Signal was still in there so bit more of a scrape until the signal had moved.  

Ah.... now had it in the scoop in that clump of dirt.

I see it. Ye Ha a bit of the good stuff.

Off to a good start. Slowly scanning about & not two feet away another sweet little signal. Went through the same procedure with settings as before & knew it was non ferrous.
      It was on a schist face dropping down to a tailing race which is down in among those bushes to the left.

Another small bit of gold

Then another signal

Another bit of gold

Not even a bit of junk yet.
      Moved on a little bit & was pulled up by another positive signal

This was a bit deeper

But gold again

Not two feet away I got another signal. This had me digging down to the schist bed rock & even smashing into it.

This was very promising, peeling out schist bedrock & the signal still in there. Non ferrous all the way. Then the signal was in my dug out pile but seemed a lot more mellow. MMmm... thats strange. It should be screaming. Isolated the target in my hand down to a bit of ferrous crap. WHAT....no way. Scanned back over the smashed out bedrock hole

& bingo....screamer signal. That's more what I expected. And here is why.

You beaut. 👍
      Then things went quiet for a wee while so I did my mountain goat thing scrambling on the edge. A 6 foot section of this drop off face has already succumbed to the river below & from where I got a bit of gold in the past with the Zed before it broke away. That was a bit of a wake up call. But I got a signal with the GM & couldn't help myself.

Looking down to the left you will see the smooth slicken schist face from where the rock face peeled away & the ruble way down at the rivers edge.

But gold it was for the GM

But oh so small 
      Back away from the edge a bit I got another sweet little positive hit.

Smashing into the schist bedrock again to move the signal.

Another bit of gold

It was starting to get dark so I took a pic out in the field of what I had so far. 7

What are my chances of getting 10 bits before I call it quits or get driven out by the dark? I made 10 my goal, then I would leave.
      Carrying on from my last bit, I got a signal between two raised edges of schist bedrock.

Scraped away into it until the signal was out.

Gold bit number 8.
      Playing mountain goat again I got a faint faint signal. This glacial deposit area is prone to hot rocks but they are a distinct sound & the rare earth magnet soon sorts them out. This signal was better than that.

Still plenty of battery. Auto+ Sensitivity, deep all metal mode & volume down a couple of notches.

Gold bit number 9

One more to go. Come on.....
      A few minutes later & it came

Number 10. Cool. Time to go.
      Couldn't help myself & kept detecting as I walked out. Got another signal & gold bit number 11. Somehow when I got home to wash & weigh I lost a piece. Bugger.
      So 10 bits here for the Gold Monster

.53 of a gram 

First swing of the Gold monster for quite a while & it didn't fail to produce on absolutely flogged ground. Loved the damp conditions & although I am not too much of a fan of this tiny gold & all the effort that goes into it, it is a bit of a novelty & a fun way to fill in a few hours close to home on a nice cool wintery but sunny afternoon. Cheers
      Good luck out there
      JW 
    • By kiwijw
      Hi guys, I am going to start off with going back a few weekends when Mrs JW & I headed over to the West Coast to catch up with my mate. The weather was looking like being absolutely mint, which for the West Coast is a bit of a rarity. We took the jet boat of course as the rivers & scenery are stunning when the weather gods are smiling. I finished work at lunch time to get the boat sorted & to give us time to get there before dark. We encountered a bit of snow on the road heading over the pass from Otago to Westland but on getting to the coast it was just stunning. The next morning my mates mate wanted me to give him a hand with going out in his boat to pull up his crayfish (lobster) pots & to rebait them & chuck them back. I was there mostly just to make another person on board so he could legally take more crays. We did quite well. Yum.

After that it was off to the river.

Above pic looking up river & below, looking down back to the coast.

Deer prints on the beach

Grounded...Bummer. 

But how stunning is the scenery? And we were the only souls there.
      Sorry guys, Something has popped up & I have to bail. Will continue.......stay tuned. 
      JW 

• By mn90403
      For Sale
      These are a few unique nuggets.  Are they found in a particular place there?
      Mitchel
      https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1656424654
    • By phrunt
      After a busy day on the slopes doing some skiing yesterday I managed to score an afternoon around Queenstown area to myself as my wife had some friends staying there and was hanging around with them, I'm not a social bumble bee and very far from it, in fact I'm a recluse, especially with people I don't really know so I took the opportunity to take off and do some exploring. It's a wonder kiwijw puts up with me, It's said I'm very antisocial which bothers my wife, I on the other hand don't notice it.
      A couple of days ago I went to one of the spots kiwijw had shown me that I've done OK at especially with my high frequency VLFs and he's done pretty damn good at using his GPZ but unfortunately that turned into a skunk for me so I wanted to try find some new ground closer to town that I can get to easier.   I used my GPX 4500 with Joey coil on that trip.
      I had read the previous night about some old workings close to town that could be easily accessed in the time I had.  I put my Mountain bike in the back of the car so I could speed up my trek even more rather than walking to these workings. I had no idea where they were and I'm very prone to getting lost, all I knew is a walking track takes me to them so I jumped on my bike and took the track.
      I wasn't even sure I was going to do any detecting so I just threw my Gold Bug Pro with Nel Snake in my backpack as it packs down tiny and weighs nothing.  It also doesn't overly react to shotgun pellets so I thought may as well use that on the scouting missions so I don't spend my time digging up pellets as I didn't have very long.  I have had a bit of a love hate relationship with my Gold Bug Pros, I've struggled to have any success with them but I haven't put the hours on them either as I quickly upgraded off them.  Today proves they are very capable of finding TINY gold.
      I found various spots along my ride that looked alright for detecting, some that looked to be bedrock.  I wasn't sure so I detected around a few locations along the track and wasn't having much joy.  I stopped at a spot right by the river which was very rocky with a thin layer of dirt over the rock and looked promising. After 15 minutes of detecting around I got my first tiny little nugget using the Gold Bug Pro.  It was in a bit of a crack in the schist, I had to scrape it out with a screwdriver, my guess it was about an inch in a crack. It was 0.021 of a gram, the size I only ever expected to find with my GM1000 or Equinox 800.  I only had about 2 hours all up so after another 20 or so minutes checking the area I decided to call it quits and head back to the car. I ended up only being 15 minutes late for the wife pickup 🙂  I didn't have my phone with me so I couldn't take any photos at the time, I left it in the car by accident as I was in such a rush.
      What is significant about this for me is it's only my second ever nugget with the GBP, it was absolutely tiny and far exceeding my expectations for the GBP and my first detected nugget that I've had no help with, all my other nuggets I've detected in the past kiwijw showed me where and how to find them.  This was my lone wolf nugget, I found the location and the nugget alone.
      I never did find the old workings but there is always another day.  I am hoping kiwijw hasn't found this location yet so I can finally share with him a spot I've found that has gold, he's been a good teacher, mentor and friend.  It would be hard to find a person willing to show you how to find gold in an area you work yourself, thereby taking albeit small bits of gold off him that he would of potentially found.  A nice gesture that I am grateful of as I really enjoy the hobby and it's possible I would of given up without his help to get me started.

It looks far bigger in the photos than it is, it's a tiny spec on my finger tip.  The Gold Bug Pro is very sensitive to tiny gold especially when combined with a tiny coil like the Nel Snake.

• By kiwijw
      Woke to our first dusting of snow to ground level in Queenstown for the winter. Heaps up in the hills but not all that often that we get it low down in town. When we do it doesn't last too long. Pretty though. Guaranteed to be carnage on the roads. 

Good luck out there
      JW