Show Me Your Pick

Ivan, I may consider one of your picks in the near future. Taking a break from serious detecting for the moment, an looking for a better pick to be honest.

Paul

Let me know I will give ya a better deal, for members on the forum..

• Like 1

I've been using a Walco Heavy Duty Large pick I got shipped over from Australia with a big 130 lb neodymium magnet stuck on the head.

It's got a nice long handle for digging GPZ holes and the pick head is nice and long with a wide scraping end on the back. It's not too heavy or too light. Picks have to be a little heavy to help with some of the digging. That way your arms and shoulders aren't taking all the brunt force. I like the Walco because the handle is a little skinnier and rounder than the Apex Picks and the steel used on the head is a little thinner making it a little lighter. Then the big magnet adds a little extra weight needed for digging. I really wish somebody sold those picks in the US, it would save a ton of money on shipping.

Sometimes if I'm feeling lazy and using my SDC and scraping bare bedrock in desert washes I'll use a Hodan ProPick with a smaller neodymium magnet stuck on it. That pick is a lot shorter and lighter than my Walco and lacks a lot of the digging power. The angle of the pick head is a little awkward too, I think it's too flat but I've still managed to dig nuggets with it.

I love the balance of the Hermit Pick and it's scooping ability especially in holes with a smaller diameter than a pick head width. But it'll stab ya in the hip in a bloody way if you fall on it when its on your belt or pack. I have to carry an Apex with the 7000, but it's head is slightly too heavy and throws the balance off. Also as mentioned the Hermit Pick has no spot for magnets so you gotta weld a holder on and also the shovel part breaks and needs rewelded often. I prefer a 32" handle but that obviously depends a lot on a person's height.

If you can design a hybrid between the two that is safely belt mountable, doesn't break, has magnets included, scoops like a Hermit, and has perfect balance then please take my money!  :D

• Like 1

I love the balance of the Hermit Pick and it's scooping ability especially in holes with a smaller diameter than a pick head width. But it'll stab ya in the hip in a bloody way if you fall on it when its on your belt or pack. I have to carry an Apex with the 7000, but it's head is slightly too heavy and throws the balance off. Also as mentioned the Hermit Pick has no spot for magnets so you gotta weld a holder on and also the shovel part breaks and needs rewelded often. I prefer a 32" handle but that obviously depends a lot on a person's height.

If you can design a hybrid between the two that is safely belt mountable, doesn't break, has magnets included, scoops like a Hermit, and has perfect balance then please take my money!  :D

It's really hard to find the perfect pick unless you go custom I think. I'm sure Ivan can help you out.

I wear a pick holder on my belt but that's usually just for hiking in. My GPZ will usually sound off on it so when I'm detecting it's usually slung over my shoulder.

CC Picks from Australia have a pretty cool head shape but they're expensive and the shipping isn't cheap either. Be awful breaking a $200 pick you waited a month to get out in the field...

jewel%20in%20circle.gif

Think some one had mentioned a pick holder or a way to carry these bigger

picks, this is what I am using, pretty simple to make.

4 inch abs pipe (pvc would work to) 6 inches long, cut two slots for belt

to fit through, 45 cut to reduce weight.  Wala... cheap, durable and 

easy to slide pick in and out..

post-411-0-34634900-1442247234_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

My pick was made by a mate in OZ who has a couple of Patterns and This one is my favourite tool, it is like the Aussie walco picks but smaller as it 10 and a 1/2 inches long and I bought a handle for a sledge hammer made out of Beech (Real Tough Wood) and I planed it down to fit and it is 25" long, Also I wrote the depth in Inches down the back of the handle with Black permanent marker so when I when I take photos I don't have to remember how deep it was.and another thing the Cutting Bevel must come from the top of the blade and the side of the picks need to be straight so you can use the whole length  of the blade to rake out with,

Here's a Tip for you guys with varnished handles SAND IT OFF, for 2 reasons I learned as a Timber Cutter, your hands won't slip and your Sweat will be absorbed in to the handle Stopping you getting Blisters,

Also never buy tools with Varnished handles because the spirit in the Varnish dries the wood out and cause's it to split, ok

good luck  john

post-181-0-90308300-1442249356_thumb.jpg

post-181-0-52335700-1442249852_thumb.jpg

post-181-0-24992000-1442249878_thumb.jpg

I use a Walco of OZ, flat blade pick, gone back to the 22" handle for portability, but carry axe and crow bar in vehicle. Axe for the tree roots and bar for those deep ones. Tis a bit of a bummer when your miles from your vehicle, but then its sometimes worth bush bashing and getting the heavy gear on site.

I use a Walco of OZ, flat blade pick, gone back to the 22" handle for portability, but carry axe and crow bar in vehicle. Axe for the tree roots and bar for those deep ones. Tis a bit of a bummer when your miles from your vehicle, but then its sometimes worth bush bashing and getting the heavy gear on site.

A bigger version of one of these can be a great help when your pick wont cut through them and they are light too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/351109970673?adgroupid=&hlpht=true&hlpv=2&rlsatarget=&adtype=pla&ff3=1&lpid=122&poi=&ul_noapp=true&limghlpsr=true&ff19=0&device=c&chn=ps&campaignid=&crdt=0&ff12=67&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff14=122&viphx=1&ops=true&ff13=80