Please Help- Got Poison Oak

I spent some more time detecting at Miners Tip Gulch. Several targets were in the midst of poison oak roots. I knew this was risky but the lure of gold was too strong and now I'm paying the price. My left forearm is looking like raw hamburger pattys.

Does anyone know of any good remedies?

Technu doesn't do anything for me.

There is a product that we all swear by called Oral Ivy.  You can usually get it at a health food store or online.  Those of us who hunt in that nasty stuff start taking it in the spring and continue all through the fall.  If you hunt year round in it, then take it year round.  A couple of drops in your morning coffee or any juice will do it, it's practically tasteless.  It builds up an immunity in your body so you don't get it, or at least it will minimal.

Now, if you already are infected, it is supposed to relieve the symptoms within a few days after you start taking it.  Give it a try, you've really got nothing to lose and it's a lot cheaper than a doctor visit.

Boericke & Tafel - Oral Ivy, 1 oz liquid

Digger Bob

My wife likes this product called "Tecnu," made just down the road from us in Albany, Oregon.

As a mechanic a coworker suggested spraying carb cleaner on my legs when I ran into a bad patch. INSTANT RELIEF. But it can't be good for ya... May end up with the leg cancer in a couple years.

Good luck OP, you may also try some Benadryl if available.

There is a product that we all swear by called Oral Ivy. You can usually get it at a health food store or online. Those of us who hunt in that nasty stuff start taking it in the spring and continue all through the fall. If you hunt year round in it, then take it year round. A couple of drops in your morning coffee or any juice will do it, it's practically tasteless. It builds up an immunity in your body so you don't get it, or at least it will minimal.

Now, if you already are infected, it is supposed to relieve the symptoms within a few days after you start taking it. Give it a try, you've really got nothing to lose and it's a lot cheaper than a doctor visit.

Digger Bob

This is the kind of thing I was hoping to hear about when I started this post.

Thanks a bunch... hope this works for me and others too.

There is a product that we all swear by called Oral Ivy.  You can usually get it at a health food store or online.  Those of us who hunt in that nasty stuff start taking it in the spring and continue all through the fall.  If you hunt year round in it, then take it year round.  A couple of drops in your morning coffee or any juice will do it, it's practically tasteless.  It builds up an immunity in your body so you don't get it, or at least it will minimal.

Now, if you already are infected, it is supposed to relieve the symptoms within a few days after you start taking it.  Give it a try, you've really got nothing to lose and it's a lot cheaper than a doctor visit.

Digger Bob

First I have heard of this - It's just an alcohol tincture containing poison ivy  :o  It makes sense, the vaccines that used to exist operated on the same principle. A lot of positive buzz on the web about this so I'm going to make the investment. 

Thanks DiggerB!  :)

I went to the health food store and got the pills you hold under your tongue, 2 different types of them. It didn't work for me. But I will give the above mentioned stuff a try.

I also had an appointment with a allergist to see if I could get shots to build an immunity to it. He said it wont work..

Years ago my nephew got it so bad it dam near killed him when he was logging and they gave him something when he was in the hospital and he no longer gets it these days, so who knows?

I have also heard of people eating small amounts of the tender small leave's in the spring. But 2 different Doctors said oh God don't do that..

• Like 1

when i was a little kid, back before modern medicine... i had a friend that was supposed to be very allergic to poison oak and the doctor back then gave him some poison oak oil extract to drink. he put a couple drops of this stuff in a glass of water and drank it once a day. he did this routine for about a month drinking a glass of water with these oil drops, didn't seem to cause him any harm at least not any blistering rash in his mouth and id guess the other end of the pipes must have been ok cause he never complained of any ill effects there. don't know if it really worked to keep him immune from poison oak, but i also don't remember him getting it again and the stuff was all around us so it might have done some good.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I rock the dawn dishsoap cold shower trick. If you have expensive taste technu