294.10 Ounce Nugget - Alaska's Largest

The funny part is people think Alaska is like some kind of super gold place, but California produced way more gold and way more big nuggets. That nugget would not rate a footnote in Australia. Yet it is the largest ever found in Alaska by a huge margin. The second biggest is over 100 ounces smaller.

You can see the quartz in it but it was fairly solid. About the size of a cantaloupe in real life.

I had the invite to hunt gold there at Ruby but never did. Had some friends that did it but the nugget detecting was not all that great. I don't recall any of them finding anything memorable.

• Like 1

You can see the quartz in it but it was fairly solid. About the size of a cantaloupe in real life.

I had the invite to hunt gold there at Ruby but never did. Had some friends that did it but the nugget detecting was not all that great. I don't recall any of them finding anything memorable.

I wonder if the Gold is deeper there, that could change if you went there with the ZED,

So many what If's go through my mind when I see things like this, But to find it while using the Dozer is just Amazing.

Take a look at the Holterman specimen 5000oz Au content.

I found my biggest ever, a specimen as well not to far from Hill End where Holterman found his. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernhardt_Holtermann

Here is a photo of the gold after crushing a smaller specimen that I found on my way to finding my biggest specimen Which was MUCH larger.

I kept the the small 2oz solid crystalline bit  on top of the ingot as a memento 

post-647-0-20734700-1453189817_thumb.jpg

• Like 4