Cheap VLF Detectors Do Find Gold...

Just an observation I had this week, I been working some tailings with my PI, well as some of you know it can get crazy with iron. My only alternative was to use my Tesoro Umax with stock coil and give it a go. So the next day I went and scanned some small piles and within 15 minutes got a nice signal. The sound came in clear as I scanned left and right. Within seconds I recovered a nice 5.54 gram nugget! So for those coming into  nuggethunting...don't despair if you only have a cheap vlf as you can find gold with it. Just get out there and scan those piles and eventually you will find that little fella.. :)

Good point Fred, I am going to hit some major tailing piles tomorrow and see how it goes. To be honest, most of my gold comes from piles such as that. Once a while you get lucky and find a patch...but as I see it, the old timers dug the material for us, sure they got most of the gold, but left us some too   :)

Steve,

I do plan on buying one this year. I , like many others on this forum have been researching these new ones coming out in 2016. Hard to make a choice because I am sure we all want the best one that would perform the best in the trashy areas. But from what I have seen, they are all pretty similar. No easy way but to work those piles and dig all targets. 

Yeah, good point. I recently tested my Bandido II umax in all metal mode with stock donut coil and it did surprisingly well on smallish gold. I can only image it would do much better with a smaller coil. 

• Like 1

Hey Nenad,

Yes I was very surprised how well the  T-U max supressed the ferrous targets . I basically scanned pretty fast and wanted to cover as much ground as I could. I dug clear signals and eventually landed that 5.5 gram nugget. In all metal mode I got plenty of deeper targets and was very happy with the results. In the past I only used it for beach hunting once a while, it was  a inexpensive spare detector. 

Californiagold,

The tailings are old diggins from the 1800's, lots of square nails and tin cans....I hunt year round and wear snake guards all the time, Just this past summer I ran into three rattlers, they let me know they were in the area very fast. 

Nice job man.

But Jedi, are you ready for the final difficulty level and pull one out of those tailings with a Radio Shack detector??  :D