Quartz Rich In Gold

get that guy a metal detector x2

• Like 1

Brett I'm not looking to be negative.  Honestly.  I said it looks like mica *first pictures to be specific* or pyrites *and now a second picture to push that point with me*.  Gold does not sit like that in the pan and I can pan mica~ so can anyone else.  Pyrites will do the same thing in the pan, and be persistent, however no they don't pan out the same way as gold will.  The key are the black sands and other heavies plus where they end up in the pan~ the bottom or at least the majority on the leading edge of the sweep.  Even in a dolly your going to have black sands pretty prevalent in the pan. Its a pain to knock them out.  Also the way gold lays in the pan when you do the swirl points it out.  Black sand, pyrite and mica's follow. Magnets will not pick up pyrites.

Try this, looking at your sample in bright light shade it with your hand.  Gold stays bright where pyrite dims as you do it.  Even specimen gold from raw sources.

The pan does not lie and with experience you'll see what others here are seeing.  Dont give up just give in and learn.  I pointed you back to the other fella and there is no dispute with me he has gold in the pan.

• Like 2

Brett, just a couple notes. Finding gold is not easy, not by a long shot, not even if you are right in the middle of it. There is a reason it is over $1000 an ounce - it takes $2000 worth of effort to find an ounce of it!

Me, I have been doing this for over 40 years. Some guys here longer. You have the benefit of many hundreds of years combined experience here and they really are trying to help. And its free!

One of the secrets of success in this business is patience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WesD said:

The other secret is perseverance!

What?  You are the one guy that I would say 'everything he finds is gold!'  

• Like 1

Brett, Cabelafella`s hint is on the money, give it a bash,  gold is very malleable. Good journey your on, tis magic.

• Like 1

*shrugs* Yep give it a bash.  Breaks up into fine bits Pyrite.  Smashes out... well gotta see the pictures.  Try to use smooth surfaces, both the hammer and the anvil.  Do it in a deep pan *or pot* to catch any flyers. *grin*

• Like 1

I pretty new to most of this mining stuff also, so this may be completely wrong way to go about crushing rock and it took a few times using it before it stopped shedding zinc particles in the crushed rock powder. it's also not particularly fast, but the crushed rock eventually ends up in a fine powder and all stays in one place. i crush, screen, crush, screen... until it is all to a fine powder and then pan it out.

IMG_3504.JPG

• Like 1