I want to start detecting some of the iron trash dumps that I come across out nugget hunting.  I currently don't have a detector that can successfully hunt these areas.  I have done some research and have narrowed it down to two.  The MXT, proven winner and the Racer 2, because I have read good reviews.  What I need is the opinion of the users on this forum and if you think there is something else that I should consider, please let me know.

I know the Deus excels in this area, but not sure about having to charge so many batteries.  Also, I thought I read the coils for the MXT were being discontinued??? 

Brian.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nevada Brian said:

I want to start detecting some of the iron trash dumps that I come across out nugget hunting.  I currently don't have a detector that can successfully hunt these areas.  I have done some research and have narrowed it down to two.  The MXT, proven winner and the Racer 2, because I have read good reviews.  What I need is the opinion of the users on this forum and if you think there is something else that I should consider, please let me know.

I know the Deus excels in this area, but not sure about having to charge so many batteries.  Also, I thought I read the coils for the MXT were being discontinued??? 

Brian.

No need to be conserved on the Deus about charging 3 batteries as the charger cable is split 3 ways and charges 1 or all 3 batteries at the same time from a single outlet, it was clean and easy. The charger and cables are fairly compact also.

I hadn't considered the GB Pro until now, thank you.  I see that it is 19khz which is great but then I read this:

As a coin-shooter, you will notice that the Gold Bug DP exhibits slightly lower sensitivity to high conductivity coins, like a U.S. quarter; this is a result of its specialized design to emphasize sensitivity to small low conductivity metals like gold nuggets.

While the Gold Bug Pro makes for a highly competent Coin-shooting detector, its user interface and features are not specifically designed for this purpose. As a coin-shooter, you will notice that the Gold Bug Pro exhibits slightly lower sensitivity to high conductivity coins, like a U.S. quarter; this is a result of its specialized design to emphasize sensitivity to small low conductivity metals like gold nuggets.

The recovery speed I read is fantastic, almost as fast as the Deus, but the above statements are a bit unsettling.

On 4/21/2016 at 1:22 PM, Nevada Brian said:

The MXT, proven winner and the Racer 2, because I have read good reviews. 

I haven't used either but those are 2 of the few I have considered as well.  It may not mean anything but I saw a add by a Racer 2 owner who was wanting to trade his Racer 2 for a MXT pro?  Had I not learned so much lately about the MXT I would be much more surprised. 

You might throw the 705 Xterra Gold Pack into the Mix.   I thought at first the 705 gold pack was just a 705 with an additional coil but it also has additional features like a beach mode, backlight etc.  But if you are real set on the two detectors you mentioned I won't be insulted in the least as I know choosing between one of two detectors is at least 1/3 less difficult than deciding between 3 detectors.  

17 minutes ago, 1515Art said:

No need to be conserved on the Deus about charging 3 batteries as the charger cable is split 3 ways and charges 1 or all 3 batteries at the same time from a single outlet, it was clean and easy. The charger and cables are fairly compact also.

1515Art, are you happy with the Deus?

In extremely trashy locations it is as much about target separation as depth. The Deus is not a particularly deep machine, it just pulls non-ferrous stuff out of ferrous trash really well. The Gold Bug Pro gets close for less than half the money.

It was just a thought. Plenty of options, all good. Can't go wrong with the MXT and 6 x 10 coil.  Currently I am using the Deus and Racer 2 and like them both.

• Like 1

Brian the coils that have been discontinued are the 8x14 coils for the MXT and the GMT because they are not popular coils,, there are still over 30 odd coils made for the MXT and they must have sold about half a million MXTs maybe more and about 5 times that in coils,

I am on my third MXT only because I get a new one every 2 or 3 years, I am more than happy with them, I love the very long battery life, On average I get 60 hours from a set of duracells, depending which brand I use I can get double that if I want, Personally I think the are great and with the right coil they will go deep, The machine you choose must suit you because what it right for me might not suit others,

Good luck on your choice,,

john  

• Like 1

So far I like the Deus but I'm super new at it. I will say on my limited experience and comparing the sst against the Deus under extreme conditions in a nail infested tin rich hot ground gb87, the Deus seemed manageable relying on tones, where the sst falsed more and my confidence that I would find the target I was hearing through the deus is much higher. I feel much the same with the z... When it hits on something very good odds i will at least find a target, nothing worse than digging holes with absolutely nothing in them but hot ground and ghosts.