Packability And Ruggedness

Kinda depends on where in CO-- i was down in Pueblo and most of the gold there was flood gold in the Arkansas river if i remember correctly-- I never detected there, always panned or sluiced--- i would have been better off gem hunting in that area....

1 hour ago, nvchris said:

One detector not mentioned yet that I would get in the water with is the Garret AT's.

Some of those coils are not waterproof---- just ask Marty P.....

"Look how it works in the creek Paul,"-------bzzzzzzzzzzzzt............... fried egg.... hahaha

Thanks, y'all.

That SDC2300 is definitely packable...but the dent in my wallet might throw me off balance, landing me in the creek. If I found a rare large nugget, it would be worth it.

Any thoughts on the waterproof coil options for the Xterra 705? Being a rookie, that machine looks like a good option to get started.

It seems like most people hunt nuggets on dry land, not on creek bottoms. (??)

For situation like what you have mentioned i use a Deus with a 9'' coil mounted on a Telescopic Golden Mask shaft that collapses down too about 17'' so can be carried in a bag,you dont have to have the control box on the shaft as you can either just use the headphones which once are ultra light and can fold up.

The control box can be carried in your pocket for fine adjustments or i usually just leave it in my 4x4,its about as light as a detector can get and very adaptable,albeit they are not the cheapest detector going.