Hardwired Electronics (isn't There An App For That?)

I've seen metal detectors in stores and shows for thirty years, but am only now thinking about them like I'll own one within a few weeks.

Maybe this is too sci-fi of an idea, but given the popularity of the wireless XP Deus (the name! god and an outdated operating system), and the ubiquity of smart phones, when will we see a mfr put the computing power of a smart phone to work?

Put a digitizer in the coil, broadcast the signal to the phone, where the processing happens, perhaps with highly customizable features (user programmable?), then bluetooth to send the audio to headphones... Graphics happen on the phone from its secure position on the handle...

Too crazy? Too simplistic?

Like you if one can think it you will see it in time. Minelab Go Find you can view what detecting on your smart phone i n real time.

You wanting something high tech and all I'm wanting is a digging arm on my detector.

Chuck 

48 minutes ago, MikePfeiffer said:

The video on the website is interesting.

It does sound interesting but it looks to be in-line with the long distance detectors that have been conning people for years.  It might make an OK walking stick but I wouldn't even count on that.  

• Like 1

If I listened correctly, they said it would read to 35 meters. Well that's 82 feet. I thought GPS was good to about 50 ft. Curious about their transmitter receiver technology.

Carbon fiber is very durable, just expensive.

12 hours ago, MikePfeiffer said:

If I listened correctly, they said it would read to 35 meters. Well that's 82 feet. I thought GPS was good to about 50 ft. Curious about their transmitter receiver technology.

Mike,

Assuming your are talking about the 3d thing for the Iphone, I can't say it any plainer, it's a scam.  It's a piece of s###.  It only has enough technology to fool some unsuspecting person into buying it. It won't find you anything.  

If you want a real detector there are plenty out there that you can find reviews on.  You won't find this product at any reputable detector dealer.  I can promise you if it was legit, someone here at this website would have one already.  It's a free world though and you are certainly free to buy it.  Just buyer Beware !

• Like 1

Not interested in buying. I just study everything. I love studying science. In one of my past jobs, I did a lot of black box theory work. I try to approach everything with an open mind. You never know what you will find.

I have already seen 3D detectors that would show coins, pipes and other objects in the ground at a depth of 3 ft. It was very impressive with a 3D view. Just not ready for the real world. Way to expensive.

I will be buying a detector in the future. Currently looking at the White's MX Sport and the Minelab Safari. Just got to determine what is best for me.

• Like 1

Both look like good choices.  Just depends on where you plan to use them.  You might want to follow the MX sport threads going on right now at this website.  

Terry