I love that SDC 2300 for all around portability and immunity in hot ground.  One of the hotspots of blowout quartz I found with the 7000 was littered with volcanic hotrocks.  I took out maybe  a dozen small nuggets with the 7000 then followed it up with the 2300.  I found another 7 nuggets generally nestled up to those nasty hotrocks.  If I was as young and strong as Steve H., I would probably drag all those hot rocks out of there, rake it down and start over again.  Right now its not but about 115 degrees out there, maybe next winter.  None of those nuggets was exceptional depth, the 2300 would have got them all if it was the first detector over it.  Anyone buying a first gold detector should give the 2300 a serious look. 

• Like 2

The exciting observation I have made of this accurate comparison is the SDC and the 5000 are the refined products of MLs work with the PIs, wheras the Z is the first of the ZVT tech. What will be the capabilities of this technology as ML refines it over the oncoming years? I suspect we are in for exciting times, bring it on ML.

For the newcomer to start out with a turn on and go productive SDC then as his/her experience and confidence grows to add a Z. Not knocking the 5000, it is a magic detector with its timings and multiple settings, but it is complicated and not really the beginners machine, wheras both the SDC and the Z are simple to use, the way to go.

• Like 1