Ok, Klunker, The Steel Pan?

Klunker, On the River, Prospecting thread, you alluded to the superiority of the steel pan. Some people booed your opinion. I've used a steel pan forever because it's substantial and I hate plastic; almost every piece of plastic gear falls apart relatively quickly. But I'd like to know your reasoning for its superiority over the plastic ones. Does it retain the gold better? And I think a few other guys were curious, too. Thanks, no rush, Joel

Inquiring minds want to know, myself included!

Klunker is getting prett.y old and forgetful, I think he likes it because it is easier to find with has detector

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, normmcq said:

Klunker is getting prett.y old and forgetful, I think he likes it because it is easier to find with has detector

:laugh:

normmcq, Love it, but it`d have to be a big pan, the lads a wee deaf I suspect.

• Like 1

Some of you poor souls probably lost appreciable amounts of gold from your plastic pans while waiting for my response to this thread. My heartfelt apologies but I was at the claim testing a new depth increaser accessory  for the GPZ 7000.

Re; plastic vs. steel pans. Use your 6 natural senses.

1. I listen for a change of sound that tells my the courser material has worked it's way to the bottom.

2. The riffles and the inset bottom ring of a plastic pan may hid a tiny particle of gold when the knowledge of finding gold is much more important than the values in the pan.

3. When you get down to the final concentrates a very light delicate working of the pan is vital. Plastic pans just don't have the right balance and feel.

4. Plastic pans just don't smell good.

5. Pancakes cooked in a plastic pan taste funny.

6. The spirits tell me that just because it's new doesn't make it better.

• Like 4

I appreciate your points.... You just like steel pans!

I almost never use the riffles in a plastic pan and never bought any with an inset bottom.

But, I can hear the course material hit the bottom of a plastic pan.......

• Like 1

It seems like the taste in gold pans is similar to liking a certain guitar to play. And Klunker & I just like the feel of steel, What do they use in the Gold Panning Championships? That contest is based on retention. I gotta blue mine up for a coming trip to the old N Yuba to pan the fines from Vak-Pak-ing.