MX Sport Crash Test

tboykin

Hello all. Hit SoOregon this weekend for some pocket hunting and all I found was bullets, more bullets, and poison oak. But the size of the 22 fragments I was finding gave me great confidence in the TDI SL with Miner John's coil. Luckily the factory let me borrow both! Gotta get back out there - we ended up in a great spot with shallow dig holes and were pulling up old square nails, boot tacks, and buttons that were good signs of gold productivity deep in the woods.

Last week we shot a video that scared me to film... I was talking with an engineer about the testing process for the MX Sport. How do they figure out what is "tough enough"? He told me to grab the camera and I was a little scared to find the answer out --- especially with some of the nasty stuff people have said about the MX Sport. Not that it was unwarranted. We're in a great place with the machine as it stands right now, in large part thanks to forums like these to help us collect user input and improve the MX Sport.

I would not suggest doing some of these tests with other brands' models... Actually, you probably shouldn't do these with ours either. But it's nice to know that we do, and that we build machines to put in work and not get babied---

• Like 6

I had watch the video over on MD-hunter and White's didn't have to do that. Why!

I knew it's already a great detector by using it everyday and that is what I've been doing. Just like my Eagle 2 looks like new but it's found me lots of coins and rings. I don't think you have to abuse something to show how great it is. That's my opinion.

Yesterday I was hunting  around where a old house was when I was a kid. This house was old then so it could be 100 years are older. I'd went out with a large coil and stupid me didn't take a small coil to hunt with too.The good thing I can go back as much I want and I'll being doing that.

I went out today to hunt along a road  in front of a cemetery. This is always a good place to hunt when everybody can't park inside.I did detect some coins but they had put a layer of rocks about six inches deep and it was no way I could get to the coins without a jackhammer.

Back to the old house. I dug so much trash but came out with one coin. Nothing to write home about but it was a 1944 D Wheat.

On that 6 X 6 coil I'm still looking but I don't want to put out for a new one to change over to fit the MXS. I got it in my wish book White's will make one yet.

Chuck  .

That's a breath of fresh air to see - I don't think I've ever owned a detector that I can treat like a real, honest field tool. 

Hey Tom

The detecting on the MXS has been great. The trouble is when I get a coin beyond 5 inches on trying to pinpointing it. When pinpointing a fairly deep coin say around 6 inches you don't get the higher tone at center of your coil. It sounds all about the same over all the coils face. You never get a higher point of the tone to say I got a pinpoint. You can get the same problem on a air test.. I remember I had this same trouble at the same time with the other problems. You won't notice this until  you get in a area where you get deeper targets.

The detecting tone is not weak but like said the pinpoint is. The thing is you're not sure where the center of the coin is. You just know it's under your coil somewhere.

This is the only trouble I've run into so far with my MX Sport. I found this trouble show up on concentric and the 6 x 10 DD. The stock DD coil that comes with the MXS  I have yet to use it.

Chuck 

That sure sounds like a problem Chuck with coin hunting in a yard on those deeper coins.  It's not like you can scrape an inch off with your boot like is often done with gold hunting.  If you did if would be best to carry a roll of sod with you and a barrel of water which might be slightly inconvenient. 

Chuck,

Have you tried PP with the tracking locked? Sometimes the auto GB will try to tune out deep targets. That's the only thing I can think of. I get a strong signal down to about 10-11" in PP, though it's not as strong as when the target is shallow. The other thing you might check is if VCO is on or off. I prefer VCO since the pitch gives me a better idea of where the center line is on a target.

Tom

I'll check everything on what you said next time I'm out. I run with the GB on lock all the time .I GB every so often and put it back on lock. On all shallow targets the PP is great and very loud.

I'l be hunting a place today and any coins should be deep because of 3 inches of grass on top.

Other than that with PP the MXS is one hot detector. The detecting part the tone is always strong in detecting targets.

Hey Terry

Raking 2 inches of grass off the top with your foot is not a easy thing to do. I couldn't do that when I was young and for sure not now..Superman can't leap as high of buildings anymore so I just walk around them.

Terry it's good to see you posting. You take care!

Tom maybe tonight I'll get back on the PP.

Chuck

PS When this comes up again I'll play around with my settings on my detector to see if I can make it better. Like I always said you have to learn what your detector can do for you and this don't happen over night.

Has White's made my 6 inch coil yet ???????? I don't want some other coil. White's been making great coils for a long long time.