16 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Can someone in the USA purchase this detector and if so from where?

Don't think it has FCC compliance for sale or export to the USA yet? From what's been said on the AEGPF forum overseas sales are a long way off? It's reportedly up to a 2 month wait for one Downunder.

I wish to stress again that the QED "works relatively best in the less mineralised soils for small gold." Together with good ergonomics, this is clearly its niche. This is my sincere advice based on my experiences with the QED.

To respond to some queries around the net: Obviously the QED was tested thoroughly on a large range of gold, up to several tens of ounce nuggets, and in a variety of soils.

I draw readers attention to the inference of what I've written in the review:

"Beyond the scope of the above suggested (QED) prospecting (very small gold & patch hunting mainly in relatively unmineralised soils), I choose not to comment further, other than we will not be using the QED for purposes other than secondary activities, and still intend to use other well-known detectors for primary prospecting activities because of their other advantages."

JP

• Like 3

What coil(s) did you guys use for which parts of the testing?

18 minutes ago, jasong said:

What coil(s) did you guys use for which parts of the testing?

A range of different sizes, 8" as mentioned and 15" x 12" Commander Mono's for 'size for size' comparison with the GPZ14, plus many others. 

JP

• Like 1

There are some impressive test results on larger gold with the QED in a comparison test against the GPZ and GPX now  posted on the Finders forum here in Oz.

14 minutes ago, goldenoldie said:

There are some impressive test results on larger gold with the QED in a comparison test against the GPZ and GPX now  posted on the Finders forum here in Oz.

Can you post a link to the thread?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Nuke em
      Anyone out there know any information on this machine ? It supposed to be being tested and could be really interesting when released .
      May be able to discriminate Iron out .
      You Tube this .  AQUAMANTA A1 TESTS HARDELOT . All in capitals . 
      It is compared to the Sovereign and CTX , the Aqua is the last one tested . Unfortunately LIKE the Equinox most of the time before release , its in a foreign language .
    • By Steve Herschbach
      My VLF detectors are rapidly sorting themselves out and I am satisfied I am doing about as good in that regard as can be done. There really is only one area of metal detecting left that is bugging me.
      The Garrett Infinium was the first waterproof ground balancing PI and not a bad first effort. White's TDI might have improved on it but White's never did a waterproof TDI. Surprisingly, Minelab has never done what I would consider to be a true waterproof saltwater beach hunting PI. The SDC 2300 really is a prospecting detector first and second. I finally ended up with the Garrett ATX, which currently sets the bar for a waterproof ground balancing beach and water detector.
      Yet the ATX housing was designed more for military use than beach detecting. The coils are overly expensive due to an integrated rod design. Worse, the detector weighs in at 6.9 lbs and cannot be hip or chest mounted.
      In a sign of faith I am going to sell my ATX and wait on whatever First Texas has in the works. As Rick Kempf posted here previously, First Texas hired Alexandre Tartar and purchased the rights to produce a version of his Manta PI Project. And to quote First Texas engineer Carl Moreland from this thread "Yes, we've hired Alexandre. Yes, we are working on PI. I was personally working on PI before hiring Alexandre, but now we are seriously working on PI."
      Another thread with Fisher Manta details
      Fisher has not made a PI since the Fisher Impulse was discontinued back around 2013. This collaboration with Alexandre Tartar gives me hope that First Texas can get something out in the next year or two. My bar is low - a waterproof ground balancing PI at least as good as the ATX in a more ergonomic package. Seems fairly doable. Another company that may come out of nowhere all the sudden is Nokta/Makro as we know they are working on a PI. I don't know, but I think this is First Texas' game to lose at this point. So there you go, ATX going up for sale and a spot held open for whatever company can meet the challenge. Good luck First Texas - I am rooting for you!
      https://youtu.be/G8sdp4RG73g
    • By wanderer
      Maybe this is a dumb question  wit regard to PI machines  why is that one machine will excel at small nuggets but can't do so well on bigger nuggets.,  Doesn't make sense to me.  It would seem logical that iit can find small stuff  big stuff should be easy?
    • By phrunt
      So I was watching the first episode of the new Season 3 of Aussie Gold Hunters, my favourite gold prospecting TV show and the Gold Gypsies on it appear to be using some odd looking new detector, last season they were using GPX 4500/5000's I believe but this season it's some detector I don't recognise, It sounds like a GPX that's sucked on a helium balloon 
      It doesn't appear to be a Minelab as Minelab tends to put their branding all over things, I can't see any branding on this detector, is it some sort of QED? Even the coils have no branding.  It looks like you can adjust the balance on the coil by sliding it back or forwards before tightening the nut.
      I really like his pick too that you'll see in the photos, It's nice and sharp up the front but goes extremely wide at the back for good scraping, I wonder what that pick is, I would like one.
      Any ideas?
      --- Update, it's been cleared up already, its a Garrett ATX 🙂  Thanks AU_Solitude  

• By Ridge Runner
      The ads came from mags dating back to 66. I can say I remember them all. Just maybe you remember some if not all.
      Chuck

• By phrunt
      Has anyone had any experience with these things? 

Electromagnetic and magnetic interferences could be extremely annoying when you are looking for that hard to find gold nugget. Most of the noise is picked up by the search coil but a significant level of noise is being picked up as well by the sensitive electronics inside the control box.
      The control box is made of aluminium therefore the magnetic field easily penetrates it.
      To prove that, approach a magnet to the right side of your detector when switched on. 
      Millions of less obvious noise signals are interfering with your detector.  
      We have developed this Shield from the best quality material primarily used in sensitive 
      medical and scientific electronics. After years of studying and testing different materials we have found this one ticks all the boxes. 
      I have revisited the places where I've previously cleaned up and found more gold after installing the shield.
      It is 0.35 mm thick, held firmly around your control box by the armrest and  the new improved version with dual layer shielding on the right side is only 175 g!
      We have tested it on the GPX 5000 with amazing results such as quieter threshold, better GB, resulting in slightly increased depth.
      The shield allows you to increase the Rx gain by a notch or two without compromising the threshold. Use Inverted Response when hunting for big deep nuggets. 
      https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MAGNETIC-INTERFERENCE-REDUCER-SHIELD-FOR-MINELAB-GOLD-DETECTORS/232594646908?hash=item3627b8a77c:g:8lEAAOSwYGFU0bvu
      I noticed it on Ebay today while I was looking for a cover for my GPX.
      I have noticed I've been able to quieten down my GPX by opening the control box up and scraping some paint away where the shielding touches the casing, on one end they had scraped away paint from one screw point during production, and the other end had no paint scraped away at all by the factory so it's sheilding was basically useless.  By scraping paint away from a few areas on each end of the detector I was able to give the GPX a bit of a noticable quieten down.  I am sure on later models Minelab would of scraped away more paint but as mine is a very early model made in Australia version this wasn't done.