normmcq

Any One Have This Problem With A Ctx?

Thank you Steve and everyone else that has attempted to help me. I will call my dealer and Minelab Americas and will keep you informed of how it was handled.

Norm

Norm;

since the detector is brand new I would ask for a shipping tag...you should not have to pay when the thing has hardly been used...worst case they can say...are you #$%^ kidding!

Update

I took Steve's advice. Talked to my dealer, then Minelab service. Minelab service (Kelleyco) said it should be treated as an out of box failure. I then called my dealer back with to info I had. He then called Minelab Americas. Between my dealer and Minelab, my defective detector is on its way back and a new one on its way back to me tomorrow. Minelab is paying the freight both ways. I am happy to say, I think I have a great dealer and Minelab made it happen.

Norm

• Like 8

Excellent! That's the way it is supposed to work!

This is called great service.

Kudos to your dealer and the manufacturer.

Norm,

I have had great service from Minelab in the past on my 5000.  I had an intermittent display problem and when I spoke with them they replaced the board and sent it back to me at no charge.

I'm glad yours worked out the same way.

Mitchel

• Like 1

I had a feeling they would do that...glad to hear.

strick

Glad it worked out for you Norm. The CTX is a great detector.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Dan(NM)
      After getting my RMA# and printing out the return label, I noticed the package is being shipped back to Naperville Il. instead of the repair center in Pa. The on/off button is difficult to operate, you have to manipulate it just right to get it to engage. I take it that it's going to be replaced rather than having the repair center take a look at it. Not complaining, just making an observation.
    • By Dave J
      Hello, All. Dave in Ohio.
      I've been fairly pleased with my Impact since purchasing the pro-pack from KellyCo last year. My negative issues this far have been minor: another short person's detector--Could someone please build a detector that extends far enough? Couple of inches of cable and some extra shaft? Not that big a deal, though a taller detector would be nice. 
      My issue now, though, is significant: When I've been detecting for an hour or more, my detector suddenly goes nuts. It starts jumping through numbers and making all kinds of noise. Point it at the ground--crazy. Point it at the air--crazy. Power off and on--the same. New batteries--the same. Changing frequencies or adjusting isat--no change. Lower gain, different coil, switching programs--no help. When it starts to happen, I know it's time to go to my backup detector. 
      So? Any ideas or similar issues? Any help much appreciated. 
      And yes, I also got online and updated.
    • By sube
      Ever have one of those days not one stinking old coin just some assorted clad that was Saturday so I licked my wounds and went back Sunday so I finally got out to the fairgrounds to try out the nox . Sunday was better took the ctx and nox hunted with the nox the coins were 2 to 3 inches deep all had nails was running 7 for recovery speed park 1 iron bias The nox called the merc at 2 inches deep at 20 I had high tones set from 19 and up and nickels open at 12 to 13 the ctx called it iron except one sweep would give 12.43 more accurate ID than the 20 the nox called it but I don't think I would of hit it with the ctx it was a small window .The nox found the coin with every sweep at 20 there were nails with it had to bring down the ID because it could not separate it .
      The other 2 silvers came in at 26 and 21 both had nails with them ctx called 12.43 on one and iron on the other however it was a very small window to get a ID and only one way again .
      As far as nickels I am throwing in the towel the nox calls almost all tabs and a lot of caps 13s and 12s so I marked 10 solid 13s and 12s with the nox the ctx called them caps and pull-tabs one it called 12.13 which turned out to be a beaver tail which is one of the only things I dig or some tabs . Not like the nox which just loves to call everything nickels the only targets I marked were 12 to 13 maybe the 6 will work better don't know but I am done digging nickels with the 11 inch coil . It might find nickels deeper but not at a fairground unless I take up mining aluminum .
      I will still dig nickel signals but not at a cap and tab infested area with no depth reading to tell me how deep they are . If I get back to the fairgrounds I may just mark the nickel hit's with poker chips and rescan them all with the ctx save some digging .I will be running park 2 next time to see what the nickels well do but park 1 is not a nickel magnet at all . sube

• By Vez
      I went out with a friend who had just gone from the ATMax to the 800 and he wanted some help getting used to how the minelab spoke and some initial instruction on setup.  I was most interested in seeing  if I could get the sound attenuated like I did in my 3030 and having a hunter with me to call over for a "whisper" on my 3030 was most helpful.  I was running a wide open screen manual 24, high trash, deep on, and rest off.  I find a quite deep tone and have him come over and we dial back the sensitivity until it started to sound clean, but quiet.  He was running park 2, GB 4, 50 tones, bias of 2, and recovery 5.  We pulled the target and it was a deep brass? star at about 8.5".  This park has given me tons of deep keepers so we pressed on.  The next person to find a deep target was my friend, and he called me over.   He turned off the wireless so I could hear it and he was tagging it good and it was coming in softly.  It was undulating between 13 and 14.  I was excited thinking it may be a deep nickle.  I tried it on the 3030 and I couldnt get it.  I bumped up sensitivity to where it started to get chatty and I dialed it back by 1 putting me at 26.  I couldn't get it, not even a null.  I tried going from high trash and fe-coin and ground-coin...  Nothing.  So he pin pointed it and I cut and popped the plug for him, I was too excited to stand and watch.  I get the plug open, put the pointer in, and no hit.  Plug was only 5" deep so I went further and I started to hear it with the pin-pointer.  Here is a picture of what it was...  I was gob-smacked...  Small 2 piece button.

I turned off the 3030 and retrieved my 800.  We both got dialed in and it turned into a day of history retrieval from the park.  What a fun day with a friend and had my best silver day in a park for a loooong time.  His take was an 1889 V nickle 1891 IHC and some other fun stuff.  I had a 46 Rosie, 44 Washington, a nice clay marble and some other odds and ends.  Thanks for looking and may you find the treasures you are looking for!

• By steveg
      Hi all!    I wanted to share a real-world hunting report, from yesterday, at a local public park.

I was hunting with my CTX and 17" coil; sensitivity manual 25, ferrous discrimination only, 50 tones, Ferrous-coin separation, deep off, fast off. My buddy was hunting his Equinox, Park 1, 23 sensitivity, recovery 5, iron bias 2, 50 tones, no disc.

I was moving along slowly, and "hunting deep," and I hit a soft, repeatable high-tone that I figured was a coin -- around 12-39 to 12-41, so I figured wheat cent. Depth meter showed about 9"-10". I dug, and it was indeed an 8" to 8 1/2" deep 1920 wheat cent. I filled the hole, and started swinging again.

A foot away, I hit a very similar signal, but this one just a bit less repeatable. There were a couple of angles where it was hard to get an audio signal on, maybe one out of every 3 or 4 passes I'd get a tone; most angles though, it was fairly repeatable, giving a good, soft high tone on 3 out every 4 sweeps. I could tell this one was nearer the depth limits of the CTX (at least in my dirt, for my skill level), and the depth meter was showing 10" to 11". Again, 12-39, 12-40 type reading. So, pretty sure I had another deep coin, as part of a "pocket spill," this time I called my buddy over to give a listen with his Equinox. He got a soft, entirely repeatable high tone as he rotated and "Minelab wiggled" the target, average ID readings in the mid 20s, right around 25. He guessed copper/wheat cent. So, I handed him the CTX to listen (he knew how to interpret the CTX, as his "other machine" that he's used for nearly 10 years is an E-Trac), and after working the target, he felt the CTX signal was similar to, or maybe not quite as good as, the Equinox. So, next, I listened to the target on the Equinox, and concurred. The signal was indeed a bit more consistent/repeatable on the Equinox as I worked the target. I dug it, and it was a 9" deep 1928-D wheat cent. So, I filled the hole, and started sweeping again.

Less than a foot away, I got a repeatable-from-all-directions but inconsistent-sounding signal. I would NOT have dug this signal normally, as it would not have caught my attention if I were just "moving along, hunting normally." It was all over the place, audio-wise, ID numbers teens to mid 20s, more 20s than teens. BUT -- being less than a foot away from the two wheats I just dug, I was listening carefully for ANY repeatable tone, to see if there were any more coins -- and so I gave this one way more attention than I normally would have. That plus the fact that it was showing 8" to 10" on the depth meter, had me interested. Again, moving along hunting "regularly," and not scrutinizing every sound because of working a "pocket spill," the predominantly high teens and 20s ID numbers, and audio "all over the place," would NOT have caught my attention enough in this trashy park for me to stop to investigate. One final reason I was interested, was that I knew this is how a fringe-deep nickel behaves in my test garden. Consistently registers a tone from all angles, BUT nowhere near nickel ID (13 CO number), but instead generally upper teens and 20s conductive numbers. So, I called my buddy back over with his Equinox. I was almost sure he was going to get a very solid-reading, 12-13 IDing target, as I was almost sure it was going to be a deep nickel at this point, and I knew that lots of 12s, and a few 13s, is generally how my Equinox behaves on deep nickels. And that's exactly what he got. A solid, repeatable-from-all-directions 12-13 signal, with an occasional blip of 11, or 14. Mostly 12's. I let him listen on the CTX, and he said "wow, those tones are all over the place." I told him that that is why I dig few deep nickels with the CTX. He let me listen on the Equinox -- a perfectly diggable, easy-to-call nickel-type signal. So I dug it, and it was about an 8" deep Buffalo.

Finally, about 5 minutes later, about 10 feet away from the other 3 coins, I got another deep, repeatable high tone. This one showed 8" to 10" deep, with mainly upper 30s to around 40 CO numbers. I called over my buddy, and it was the same as on the first wheat he listened to -- low to mid 20s, with an occasional higher ID, soft but solid and repeatable. I popped the plug on this one, and the numbers for me were now showing a bit lower -- 12-37s in the plug. At that point, reading a bit lower "in the plug" than it did in the ground, we both guessed Indian instead of wheatie. Sure enough, about an 8" deep 1898 Indian Head penny.

My long-winded point in all of this, is to share a direct, in the field, head-to-head comparison of the Equinox to the CTX on three different, un-dug targets. This perfectly mirrors the results in my test garden, with the Equinox being just as deep, if not a tad bit more solid on each of the targets I have buried -- pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters (with the largest advantage in the Equinox's favor showing up on the nickels, but still a small advantage on all the coins). This also mirrors most of the comments from other hunters who are posting results. It's for real, guys. While there are still things the CTX does better (such as providing better "dig decision" information, visually, in a much more thorough way, AND allowing you to avoid more trash, more easily), the Equinox is a very, very impressive performer. Just as deep if not a tad deeper, and a better hunter in trash/iron...   Steve