Steve Herschbach

A Closer Look At The " Other " Minelab Gold Monster 1000 Rod Assembly

The problem with shortening up the GM 1000 too much would be that you still have 5 feet or so of coil cable (more or less as I don't know the actual length of the cable) that you have to keep back away from the coil at least a little ways. It might be that maybe 30 inches total would be the shortest practical length?

I would guess the GM1000 cable is three feet, standard for hand held detectors. The cable is much longer on a Gold Bug 2 (to accommodate hip mounting) and it worked fine for me. Just wrap it up. I think the pinpointer suggestion was tongue in cheek anyway. The whole point of the thread is you can mount the GM1000 on any rod any way you want.

fisher-gold-bug-2-pinpointer-conversion.jpg

• Like 2

Minelab Gold Monster Control Box Less Rod And Coil:

minelabgold-monster-1000-control-box-less-rod-and-coil.jpg

minelab-gold-monster-1000-alternate-rod-with-5-inch-coil.jpg

32 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I would guess the GM1000 cable is three feet, standard for hand held detectors. The cable is much longer on a Gold Bug 2 (to accommodate hip mounting) and it worked fine for me. Just wrap it up. I think the pinpointer suggestion was tongue in cheek anyway. The whole point of the thread is you can mount the GM1000 on any rod any way you want.

fisher-gold-bug-2-pinpointer-conversion.jpg

Awesome.... When I first started reading this thread I was going to suggest the GB2 could be shortened up too for a pin pointer, as it too has discrimination. I go on to page 2 &....well there it is. Nice job Steve. I always have the GB2 on board with me as that is exactly what I use it for in conjunction with my Zed. The GB2 finds me more gold to when re scanning holes dug from the Zed before back filling.

Good luck out there

JW  :smile:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By PG-Prospecting
      Finally found my fist Virginia picker with the GM 1000 on the private land that i have access too!  This is my first piece of detected gold from here.  Ive found lots of nuggets dredging the creek but nuggets have eluded my detecting efforts.  
      I found this one in a small feeder creek.  I have since detected most of the feeder and found nothing else.  I still have yet to find any pickers or nuggets outside the creek at this location which is frustrating to say the least.  I also run a GPX4800 outside the creek but no dice still.  Up to 12 gram nuggets found dredging in the creek but nothing outside of it.  One of these days lol.  

• By Mxt Sniper
      I was just wondering if there was any plans of aftermarket coils being produced for the Minelab GM1000? I can think of a couple reasons why they would be welcomed. The coils seem to be impact sensitive, and the coils do not have good edge sensitivity. Am also wondering if a concentric coil can be built to work on the gm1000? I tend to prefer concentric coils over dd's for vlf nugget detecting.
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Equinox 800 in the Desert, Gold Monster 1000, and Nuggets.... Part 1
      Published on Jun 11, 2018 Nugget Shooter (Bill Southern)
      Took the EQX 800 out to the goldfields for a run, impressed so far...
    • By goldseeker4000
      I had talked with Detector Pro on the issue of headphones for the Gold Monster 1000 and I said they would do well on sales if someone would come out with a good after market headphones. Well they thought about it and called me back informing me that they are answering the call to produce a high quality headphones for the Monster that will eliminate the external speaker sound from coming thru. These headphones are the same as the Gray Ghost headphones but were made specifically for the Gold Monster. They are the Gold Series and there will be a special headphones coming out for the Exuinox as well. The cord is a pigtail style with an 1/8" jack that shuts off the external speaker. The sound is sharp and crisp with no distortion. The pigtail cord is 6" longer than the Gray Ghost headphones and I assure you there will be no more kneeling on the cord as we all have had to deal with until we just use the Monster without headphones. I feel these headphones are very comfortable  and block out external noises very well and they have a volume control on the side as well. I have the proto type as I have been asked to field test these wonderful headphones by DetectorPro.I will let everyone know when they will be available for purchase.

• By Rod K
      I took my Whites TDI SL with both the stock 7.5" dual field coil and the 8"x6" NUgget Finder coil, as well as my Minelab GM 1000 out and tried them on some small 1.7 grain and 7.4 grain pieces of lead i use for testing. The minelab found both easily and at over 2" on the small one. The Whites wouldn't pick up either one with either coil. I am liking the Monster more and more. But was wondering? Should the Whites do better than it did?
    • By Steve Herschbach
      It has certainly been a busy year for me so far, with not as much detecting time as I would like. Still, I have been getting out a little and thought it was time to share a few photos.
      My first couple bits were found with the Minelab Gold Monster 1000 on some scouting runs. I am liking this detector as a grab and go unit for checking areas out quickly. I am not trying to hunt for max performance but instead looking to cover a lot of ground quickly to check things out. I have learned the GM1000 auto sensitivity actually suits me well for this. I just fire up the detector in all metal mode, full volume, and start with auto sensitivity set at Auto+1. Then I just start swinging. If noise intrudes (usually in salt areas) I will back down to Auto+0 (there are just two Auto settings available Auto and Auto+1).

Once the GM1000 gets out and about people will no doubt note the Auto settings are not the hottest. Which is why I like them. The GM1000 is a super hot machine already, so I am looking more for stability than anything else, and know it will pop hard on any small nuggets I get over. If I were pounding a patch hard I would use manual sensitivity and push it high, but that would introduce noise and require very careful hunting. For me however the GM1000 serves best as a light weight quick and dirty way to check new areas - just grab and go.
      I posted previously about finding a nugget using Auto sensitivity which is where I learned how useful the setting is. Here are two more small nuggets located using Auto+1. Both nuggets banged hard, one at maybe an inch and the other at about three inches. I am not trying to promote or to push the use of this setting, I am simply reporting what I am doing and you can decide for yourself if it is useful for you.

0.1 gram and 0.4 gram nuggets found with Minelab Gold Monster 1000 running in Auto+1 sensitivity
      I did finally get a GPZ 19 coil for my GPZ 7000 and it was time to give it a go. I tried one area I had hunted before in case a larger deeper nugget was lurking. My first lesson with the GPZ 19 was not how large and deep a nugget it can find but how small and shallow! The only thing I had missed and left to find was this less than 0.1 gram nugget. It was practically on the surface and so gave a small warble when it got close to the coil winding. I was surprised and impressed the coil can find gold this small.

The next location is one I scouted with the GM1000 and found the 0.4 gram nugget. The spot got my interest so I went back with the GPZ 7000 and 14" coil to hunt it. Turns out it was a nice little patch with some chunky gold! The ground was deep so I mounted up the GPZ19 and hunted it again. I did come up with one nugget I missed before, whether from sloppy detecting or just a little too deep I do not know. It was a little 1.2 grammer at around a foot down. I continued hunting outside my area and came up with another at 1.3 grams.

GPZ19 Nuggets
      I had removed the Minelab skid plate that came with the coil and replaced it with the closed Nugget Finder cover. I like this cover for uneven ground as it does not get hung up of rocks and sticks as much, but it does rapidly collect a pile of debris!

The coil did false if banged on a rock and would require care in rocky ground, though I was running it as hot as ever so that contributes to it. I usually hunt grassy and sagebrush country and it does well here just gliding on the grass, though if the grass is deep it will ride up on it above the ground. Still, the larger size gave me this feeling that I had a little extra insurance in that regard and so I used it to hunt over low brush where it might reveal nuggets hidden when others went around the brush. False signals from banging a rock aside I do think the coil actually runs a bit smoother with my Insanely Hot settings. The GPZ19 is slightly too heavy for me for general use in hilly terrain and too large for a lot of the sagebrush areas. It is just the ticket however for covering large open terrain and that is where it will see the most use with me in the future, or for pounding old deep patches. The extra pound was not quite as bad as I was expecting and in flatter ground just my regular bungee setup sufficed. I did try out the Hipstick though and think it a better option for long hours with this coil.

Well, lots of info there I hope people can get some use out of. It's always nice to be out prospecting whether or not I find any gold - but gold does help! 24 grams or about 3/4 ounce with largest nugget 4.5 grams or just shy of three pennyweight.

This post has been promoted to an article