Would You Still Be Detecting For Gold If The Price Was Under $300 Per Ounce?

Even more chasing for me, simply because there would not be the numbers out there, thus not getting the attention gold detecting has had. This I feel would have given us more country open to prospect. Greed has driven some pretty bad huuuuman behaviour this has led to areas we once were welcome to being closed.

• Like 1

Gold at $300 would mean there has been a massive global financial melt down and the government has nationalized precious metals. So of course I wouldn't be mining and I would be lamenting the loss of my stash (if I had one) when I attempted to save it from the recent floods in my rickety old canoe. Damn them old canoes. I suppose there would be some unpatriotic types who would stoop so low as to sell there nuggets as jewelry and specimens or even, God forbid, on the black market.

There is a point of non-profitability to some of my operations so some things would have to change. 

And Sour Dough Scott would have to teach me fly fishing.

• Like 3

Yes I would, I am a searcher, I found my first arrowhead When I was 8.  The older kids were finding them and after searching a field for two days I found one!  Still can identify it out of the many hundreds I have since found. 

I got into gold late but after sluicing and dredging the next step was nugget hunting, my first trip was to Australia where a remarkable prospector took me under his wing, put my 5000 together and taught me what to listen for, the rest is history. I will look until I can`t go any more, probably end up buying bags of pay dirt, spreading them on the asylum floor and turning my detector on.

The real gold is the people you meet and being able to introduce others to this awesome sport. I started a new guy last Nov, he is hooked and we are planning a trip out the end of March, will meet up with some old friends and meet some new ones. Can`t wait!

• Like 5

I would also have to say "yes".... I do not sell my gold or meteorites. Except one time I traded gold for a new 25" coiltek coil a few years back... Some of the best friends I have made are prospectors, who also enjoy hunting/ exploring, and getting outdoors. Im pretty serious into it, hunting every weekend, and have been for over 15 years. I love hearing and seeing the finds and stories everyone on here makes.

Dave

• Like 7

For me prospecting and metal detecting are separate things. I enjoy running a metal detector regardless of what I am looking for. When I am "in the zone" I am as as close to a meditative state as I think it is possible for me to attain. I also just like playing with the technology itself. So I will always be metal detecting, even if it just means a trip to a local park or beach.

Gold prospecting I enjoy but it has more a monetary aspect to it for me. Gold itself holds no particular attraction for me. I mean, sure, I like gold, but I do sell it whenever I can get a good price for it. It does nothing for me just sitting in the safe deposit box. The pictures and memories give me more enjoyment than the gold. I love looking for it, I love finding it, but once it's found - eh.

Would I load up and go to the expense of driving to Alaska and camping out for two months away from my family, if gold was under $300 right now? Doubtful. I run my prospecting activities as a for profit business. If gold was under $300 that would simply not be possible. I would no doubt still go out detecting for gold now and then, but it would be far more casual and far less time devoted. I would probably spend more time looking for various crystals, meteorites, or other stuff that I never get around to because right now the gold always comes first.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, vanursepaul said:

I was re-thinking my post and the thought occurred to me..

I haven't ever found enough gold to make a substantial monetary gain....

So that proves I will do it for the fun...

I do like finding it tho

Same here Paul! I tell my friends "I'll never find enough gold to pay for all the toys I bought to go look for it....even if I live to 120!" But I don't care.....it's the getting out there and looking for it I love. However, I definitely like finding some though....hate the skunk! ?

• Like 3

Get into pick swinging mood Paul, have a thingo added to my bucket list, to get you onto some OZ weight this OZ winter,

• Like 3

Something I have known all along, if gold drops to $50 an ounce tomorrow, or $10 an ounce for that matter, I will go detecting the day after tomorrow :smile:

I`m not in it for the money

Dave