For those of you who don't mind metal eyelets, the Keen Briggs hikers are my favorite waterproof hiker I have ever owned.  They are much lighter then they look and are very flexible.. I had no break in period.  The best way I can describe these is that I am completely unaware that I am wearing them until I get home and take them off.  This was from day one of wearing them.  I remember coming home the first time I wore them and was kind of bummed that I didn't notice my new boots all day.  Then I thought to myself, this is good.  They are made with thin leather and have been 100% waterproof so far.  Again these are not nearly as heavy as they appear.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/KEEN-MENS-BRIGGS-MID/2302824.uts?productVariantId=4660192&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=04489065&rid=20&gclid=CO_Dp5fihNMCFZFffgodGO0L5A&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 3/31/2017 at 10:01 PM, mn90403 said:

I like Red Head products and will check them out also.  Do they have a lower version?

I've been using the Keen Targhee II for the last couple of years as a mid height.  Some of the bottom is made of glued pieces that need a touch-up with glue but they are comfortable.  No metal in them.

http://www.keenfootwear.com/search?q=targhee ii mid

Mitchel

I just bought some new Targhee and they have changed the shoe for the better.  It is still without metal but they have made the soles with harder material.  I don't think the long cactus will need to be pulled from these and they will be better for that boot scrape and the 7000.  REI had 20% off plus I had a dividend coupon so all in with tax it was $104! 

My previous pair was from China and this pair is from Thailand.

Best 2 boots  I ever found is the merrell hiking boots that are water proof  and the Australian boot called the Red Back! I wore the merrells back in 2005 and best boot ever for western OZ  tough terrain.  Only  metal is the 2 eyelets and a small tag saying waterproof. Best when in rough stuff and  running a Zed hot is a welcome boot. Better yet if you can find a pair of the red back as they have no metal whatsoever. Tough boot to find in Western OZ and found mine at Finders Keepers in Kalgoorlie.  Oz shoe size is one size bigger than here in the US and you need to go one size smaller. Both are great shoes and will always wearing a new set of merrell due that living 6 months in WA. outback, my merrells  did not let me down. Only bad thing with the merrell is the unique tread  foot print and it makes it easy to follow by others following you to your patch!

• Like 1

http://www.fire-etc.com/redback-easy-escape-slip-on-black-leather-boot-UBBK/?gclid=Cj0KEQjww7zHBRCToPSj_c_WjZIBEiQAj8il5NahkDusK-VR-AUIM5FrNT0AdFPFVI-xojgfGvzEjmAaArRM8P8HAQable.

these are my everyday work boots, 9 hours on my feet and very comfortable. plus you can kneel down and not have laces to cut off the blood flow. I should add, they are available in the USA, and in wide sizes. and made by our friends in australia. (yay) (not china)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gambler said:

http://www.fire-etc.com/redback-easy-escape-slip-on-black-leather-boot-UBBK/?gclid=Cj0KEQjww7zHBRCToPSj_c_WjZIBEiQAj8il5NahkDusK-VR-AUIM5FrNT0AdFPFVI-xojgfGvzEjmAaArRM8P8HAQable.

these are my everyday work boots, 9 hours on my feet and very comfortable. plus you can kneel down and not have laces to cut off the blood flow. I should add, they are available in the USA, and in wide sizes. and made by our friends in australia. (yay) (not china)

Have to agree with tucannon and Gambler. In Australian I can confidently say that the most used detecting boots are the Redbacks. They are comfortable, have no metal and are suitable for all situations except for long mountainous walks. The model above with the soft translucent sole is the one you want...in black or brown. I have used them for years...I waterproof them and occasionally have had to sew up a few stitches on the sides of the odd pair because I boot scrap the targets too much.

In OZ they cost about $US75. Must be some good deals with cheap postage to US  on ebay I am guessing. 

cheers RDD

Red backs (one of the worst Aus spider) are great boots the main thing that suit me is that they come in half sizes that is an 8.5 is the same length as a 8 and a width of a 9. 

• Like 1

Check out these boots. I just bought a pair after seeing a friend wearing them. He is very happy with his. No metal, no side zipper. Water proof Gortex liner,  slip resistant, oil resistant sole, can be resoled.  The sizes seem to be right on.    They were comfortable right out of the box. They look to be very durable.

Bates E03135  Lace to toe 8"   $160.00  from Amazon

• Like 3

Being in the US, I use Avenger boots from workboots.com.   They are reasonably priced, have NO metal and allow me to trudge through jumping cactus without nary a prick.   I will only wear full leather boots with snake chaps for my shins .. due to our rattling buddies.

21 hours ago, tucannon said:

Best 2 boots  I ever found

I agree with you on that one tucannon. I Went to a shoe shop looking for new boots and found the redback a real winner. The left boot in one box fitted great but the right boot was too tight so I got the shop assistant to get the other boots out of the other boxes they had in stock and I got one that fitted real snug.

So don't just accept that all boots in all boxes are the same! cause they a not .  Apparently we all have one foot slightly bigger than the other

16 hours ago, RedDirtDigger said:

They are comfortable, have no metal and are suitable for all situations except for long mountainous walks. The model above with the soft translucent sole is the one you want...in black or brown. I have used them for years...I waterproof them and occasionally have had to sew up a few stitches on the sides of the odd pair because I boot scrap the targets too much.

Hi RDD  What you just said sums it up exactly. What do you put on your boots to make them last longer and waterproof them ?

I buy a pair of boots every Christmas wrap them up, put them under the tree and give them to myself. Perfect fit every time and just what I wanted.

Cheers ozgold

• Like 1

I really like the Targhee as well but went through them in one year. They have two different materials that make up the sole. The dark material separated from the light in the first two months from boot scraping over targets so I glued it back on. Came apart a short time later so I just cut it off. Last trip to the Q the right boot came apart at the seams. They were very comfortable and I would buy them again with the knowledge that they will only last a year but my feet will be happy. That being said, I just ordered a pair of Reebok Krios ...no metal, water proof, and light...with the hope that they will last longer than the Keens.

Dean