Determining Where To Prospect For Gold Nuggets?

Steve, again you have raised the level of this forum with an energetic, through and provocative post that helps everyone. There are a lot of us who appreciate the attention you consistently give the site to make it, and us, better. 

It is also helpful and interesting to see the replies a post like this generates.

Thanks… 

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing that hard won info Steve. Is nice to hear I am not the only 2 fingered typist here. And I look at the keys , bad habit but I can't help it.

Now, since gold is not overly abundant where I live, there are basically no mining records of its existence, what to do?

Plenty of coal and limestone and gravel deposits, even oil and gas and some galena. All gold so far has been glacial.

Makes the search a bit tougher. I do belong to 2 Indiana mining clubs which have regular outings but usually to the same old beaten to death places. Somehow tho, the gold gets replenished  every year after heavy rains and subsequent floods plus the dredgers/highbanker operators running their machines too fast or too steep an angle and blowing some of the gold right back into the creek. Is it safe to assume where gold was found before by modern day prospectors, that the floods will redeposit more gold in the same spots year after year then? I've had 2 different parties tell me they got an ounce of gold fines in the same stretch of creek. These 2 people do not know each other. Something I picked up on from chatting with miners and friends. This particular spot is in an S curve with a thick layer of blue clay under the water and creek gravels. The blue clay seems to act like a gold magnet. There is about a 100 feet of it in this stretch of the creek in the main channel from bank to bank. I've seen fines and pickers from these 2 parties that were mining here with homemade machines.

-Tom

• This topic was pinned and unpinned