A Monster Month

Thanks Lunk.  Now you make me wonder what it would do in a virgin patch!

Do you 'clean up' with a 7000?  haha

Mitchel

• Like 1

Lunk

Looking at the pictures you posted it looks as if you used the 5" coil most of the time. Did you find it worked better for you ? I'm sure it has to be hot on sub anything.

JP posted he is coming up short on getting the GM 1000 and I'm wondering if the dealers here in the US may have the same trouble.

I thank you ahead of time when you post more on the GM 1000.

Chuck

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lunk said:

Then I started to notice something quite amazing to me; the iron targets - even the tiniest ones - were making a subtle "boing" type of a response like a negative hot rock, whereas the nonferrous targets were more zippy and lacked that subtle boing quality. After a while, I found that I no longer needed to look at the gold chance indicator to determine whether a target was ferrous or not, just by relying on the sounds;

Good write up Lunk.  I found that part interesting about the audio response from ferrous and non ferrous targets.  I`m thinking that once a person was comfortable with the different response for ferrous and non ferrous the detector could always be run in "deep". Dave

• Like 1

Great writeup Lunk, especially the TIPS you discovered in the field and the PHOTOS. Now, how do I resist another detector purchase? Ignoring magnetite especially appealing.

So, after you got the sounds down, did you ignore the meter responses, something I am at fault with on  my MXT.

Looking at the meter all day can be hard on ones neck after  awhile.

-Tom

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

It looks as if you used the 5" coil most of the time. Did you find it worked better for you

I used the 10x6 ellip while hunting meteorites for better ground coverage, and mainly the 5 round for the gold; I was targeting patches that I have already gridded with the GPXs, SDC, GPZ and GB2 to see what, if anything, was left behind for the GM 1000. The 5 round coil has more sensitivity to the smallest gold particles that the Monster is able to find, so I wanted to have that edge. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, phoenix said:

Good write up Lunk.  I found that part interesting about the audio response from ferrous and non ferrous targets.  I`m thinking that once a person was comfortable with the different response for ferrous and non ferrous the detector could always be run in "deep". Dave

The only reason I can think of to ever use the iron reject search mode is if the area was just chockablock with iron trash.

• Like 4

Excellent operating overview Lunk. You have given us some critical insights and valuable tips on how to better use the GM 1000. And your pictures are great too!

• Like 3

Lunk,

All of the reviews I have seen so far on the Monster have been about it going over 'worked out' patches or previously worked patches to test its sensitivity to small gold.  (Going to where gold has been found before.) That is ok, I guess.  When given the task of testing a new detector you can't just 'dial up' a new patch.

I've held one of the Monsters.  I would use it in places like where you went but also in more difficult to reach 'spots' just from a weight and ergonomic perspective.  Some places where we don't look for gold is because it is too difficult taking a heavy and big detector with us.  (I guess someone could have gone there with a GB2 or a Pro like Steve did on the Alaska tailing piles.)

This is what I wonder.  How does this detector react to a big piece of gold?  Big is a relative term but let's say anything over 5 grams.  Did you plant any test nuggets like that?

Mitchel

• Like 2