Minelab And Customer Communications

A little late on the topic...

On 5/10/2017 at 1:49 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

There is this however. How many of you know engineers? Have you spent a lot of time talking to engineers? They are not really famous for communication skills. They might think they are communicating, but they are speaking a different language. Their brains are often wired differently than "regular folks". Yeah, it is a cliche, but cliches are often based on a certain reality.

I've known and worked with a whole lot of engineers. The cliches are largely true, and Dilbert paints a fairly accurate picture of the engineering mind. When I tell people that I'm an engineer, I often see that sad look in their eyes that says, "Oh, bless your heart." My partner had that look when I first told her; now she says, "Ya know, for an engineer, you're pretty self-aware."

On 5/11/2017 at 0:18 PM, Rick Kempf said:

My colleague smiled and said "I understand it's not rocket science – I am a rocket scientist - and I don't understand it"

Right out of college I worked at NASA-KSC. Only for 5 months, but ever since then my resume says "Rocket Scientist -- NASA" as a joke. Another engineer got annoyed at my joke because he thought I was trying to be a braggart. He didn't get it. Engineers often don't.

• Like 3

Well I was kind of hoping this thread would be about suggestions for Minelab improvements.  Instead I get to hear what people really think about engineers.. ha..ha..  I myself am a mechanical engineer and yes I have to look myself in the mirror each day.  LOL.  Much of what has been said is true, unfortunately.  Engineers have an insatiable appetite for learning but in general, are very poor at communicating on the most basic level.   But I can still laugh at myself about it and hope that I am outside of the standard histogram ... errrr... (see I just can't hold back)...

But it is my engineering background which drew me into metal detecting and studying geology in hopes of finding more gold.   Like engineering, there is always more to learn.  For me, this hobby is perfect for working off a little steam, making me put down my calculator and getting me out of the cubicle as much as possible.  And in the process I get to speak with a lot of bright people on this forum and make some pretty good friendships in the process.   Priceless.   (well at least until they find out i am an engineer)  ;)

• Like 3

Well Andyy for what it is worth I revere engineers as the magician/gods of our civilization. I toured Cape Canaveral and the sum brilliance of what engineers working together can do is jaw-dropping awe inspiring. Anyone that ever gets the chance needs to go see the products of our space program up close and personal.

Plus my wife was a Project Management Engineer and my daughter has a Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering. I'm laughing with you not at you! I am a computer nerd that somehow ended up in sales and marketing...

IMG_0401.GIF

• Like 3

I think Kelly Bundy would make a good engineer, or may be a professor.   This is out of one of the episodes 

"I'll set you up with this scientist I know at the university.  All you do, pretend you're a professor.
Okay, but, I mean, I think I'd make a more convincing Ginger or Mary Ann don't you think? 
You must be the new professor.
  You must be Gilligan.
  Hi.
Kelly Bundy at your service.
So Bud tells me you're in aerospace.
Yeah, well it's not rocket science, but what is? Right.
So what are you working on now?
 Well, I just received a grant from the Crayola company to invent a new colour.    Bleen.
Bleen? Is that a mixture of blue and green? 
No, of blood and spleen. You know, it's for the kids who wanna draw accidents.  
Yeah. Really? You would think that Crayola would have enough colours already.
Well, not anymore.  See, they had to get rid of black and white you know, to be politically correct. They were gonna mix the two together and call it blite but the guy who invented grey back in '74 threatened to sue, so All right.
So, what's your field? 
- Alchogorentology.
- Oh, right. What's alchorathincology?
 It's a study of that age- old question:  How much booze can a rat drink before he explodes?"

http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/view_episode_scripts.php?tv-show=married-with-children&episode=s10e05

• Like 2

I said I would report back here if I received a new detector from Nokta - they have sent me a new Fors Core directly instead of going through Kellyco after my issues there, which I received today. Haven't had a chance to open it up and test it out yet, but that was good to see.

• Like 5

Top news Jasong, a Co can`t give any better service then that, seems the weak link was that middle one. Also a big cheer to Steve and this forum.

Here is my experience with ML and communication. I c&p it from another forum where I posted this:

So I was in the market for a GPX 5000 and a CTX 3030 since they offer a 15% discount for service members. I am stationed with the US Air Force on a base in Germany. I contacted a dealer in the US to order the machines. The dealer wrote me back that he could not sell to me since I am not in the US. He actually said he contacted ML and they told him so. I explained to him that I am on orders and even submitted a copy of my mil. ID card. Still no chance to get the machines. So I went ahead and bought both machines in Europe for a pretty penny PLUS 19% tax.

A little later I contacted the US dealer again to buy some accessories for both machines, only to find out that he was also not able to sell me any accessories for the same reason. I got so mad and contacted ML USA direct to complain. I wrote them not only don't I get the 15% discount, I actually have to pay a much higher price since they won't allow me to buy stateside.

Two days later ML answered that they do allow sales to military members overseas! They asked for the dealers name to inform him about this too. Great for future sales but bad for me. I just send a s*** load of money on a GPX 5000, a CTX 3030, the CTX17, ProSwing45 and some more ML accessories. Lesson learned.

Bad communicatiin between ML and the dealer cost me a pretty penny. I actually bought two GPX since the wife wanted one as well. The second one was a trade in. I found another dealer, River Team Six Detectors, he took three of my machines and offered me a GPX 5000 for them. So at least I did not loose much on  the second deal. Still frustrating because I could have spend the money I lost on coils. This experience made me buy Detech coils instead of ML coils, because I was just not willing to throw more money at ML

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 5/11/2017 at 10:21 PM, Nokta Detectors said:

Hello there... I am quite surprised with this post. It is true that we refer customers to Kellyco because  they are the authorized repair center. It is just more convenient for people in the USA. However, once we refer them to Kellyco, we assume that the problem is being handled and the customer is taken care of. Can you please do me a favor and email me with details of your issue and I will personally make it right for you.  dilek@noktadetectors.com 

See I keep telling people. Look how professional Dilek is. Sorry but she goes above and beyond. I know some old-school guys are like die hard "Chevy" fans or "Ford" fans and love the products regardless of their flaws and the fact it's USA made and I'm opened minded new school. I'm like I don't care as long as she's a all around good product. And I don't care if it's not made in the USA oh well. Lol. Volkswagen, Ferrari, Subaru. China, Germany, Iraq, Japan and Korea or better yet I'm sticking with the Turkish people on this one. Turkish airlines here I come. Lol. Seriously people open your eyes and see. Minelab isn't made in America, but so many Minelab users as I used to be (hence) won't even try or even except a Turkish product I way better built, has way deeper depth and impeccable and rather amazing customer service relations. Actually should be the Pinnacle of every manufacturer. But there is that many Dilek's. Sorry for your luck guys.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2017 at 10:44 PM, FschJg said:

Here is my experience with ML and communication....

Bad communicatiin between ML and the dealer cost me a pretty penny. I actually bought two GPX since the wife wanted one as well. The second one was a trade in. I found another dealer, River Team Six Detectors, he took three of my machines and offered me a GPX 5000 for them. So at least I did not loose much on  the second deal. Still frustrating because I could have spend the money I lost on coils. This experience made me buy Detech coils instead of ML coils, because I was just not willing to throw more money at ML

To be fair, that's not Minelab's fault. That's the dealer's fault...unless I'm missing something? I suppose Minelab could have failed to communicate with the dealer, but even if that's the case, after your initial inquiry, a prudent dealer would have contacted Minelab to confirm the policy.

Even if Minelab dropped the ball, you should never do business with that dealer again. Do you mind PMing me who it was so I'll put them on my do-not-buy list?