A Site For Overlaying Maps

For a few years now I have been fascinated with a map that was published in 1915, but this map is very hard to work with, because most of the roads that are on it no longer exist and there is no sign of them what so ever and most of the tracks that are currently there are not on the map.    It took me a bit of mucking around to get 2 maps the same size and location, but I found a free site where you can overlay one image onto another.  This is part of the original map that shows roads that are no longer there and the bottom map I have overlayed the original to put in the tracks that are currently there from a topographic map.   This map now becomes way more user friendly for me because of the overlayed tracks. 
Somebody else may find this site useful.  Dave
https://www.imgonline.com.ua/eng/impose-picture-on-another-picture.php
111.jpg
imghost
good_overlay.jpg

• Like 6

Good stuff here..... Thank's..:smile:

I can think of several useful areas for this tool.

• Like 1

The only thing missing( if I read it right) is the ability to conform an old map to a new one by "stretching" it to known points.

For example, If you had say, 5 mountain peaks on both maps, you click all 5 on the new map then click all 5 on the old map.  It stretches the old to fit new.

As I see it, you can only do it by "percentage" or adjusting the "x, y" values.

Did I read it right?

I know there are programs that will do that.....

That map you're talking about is a beauty as it shows a lot of the nuggets, their size and position found. I just use windows 10 snipping tool to grab a part of the map, save it as a jpg file and overlay it directly onto Google Earth. Then I mark the areas im interested in and download those marked spots onto my GPS.  I never overlay a complete map as the fine details are lost when zooming in. Even though that is an old map and many of the roads aren't there the main ones are and it's fairly easy to line up on Google Earth. I did a video on this whole procedure recently if anyone is interested. It is about 25 min long and shows step by step how I go about overlaying maps.

• Like 4