Not Enough To Be " Just A Letrap "

I've never been 300 feet from a stream, including right in front of forest service officer.  not disputing what you said, but until someone with a uniform tells me different I'm 'banking. 

that seems like a flippant response, however it's not meant to be:smile:.  I believe I am not breaking the law, and will continue to 'bank near the river. I respect your post though.

Hey Lipca, nice work!  I use a punch plate on my sluice and think I may see the issue.  In the photo it looks like the water inlet into the letrap is above the punch plate...meaning no water flow below the plat except for what drops through the holes...I may not be seeing it correctly but let me know.  I let water run into the sluice below my punch plate and set my plate at a slight incline extending past the matting and over the top lip on the first riffle (Keene 51). I use thin stainless punch.  Once tried a little thicker anodized punch and it wouldnot flow correct.  I will try to post a pic soon.

Matt

Just read this : https://www.americanminingrights.com/highbanking-and-the-dfw-illegal-confiscation-of-equipment-twice/

Guess it is all in how they read the regulations....

Be interested to see a pic.

For the punch plate to function, the material(and water) has to run over the punch plate.

For the punch plate to function, the material(and water) has to run over the punch plate.

Yes it does.  Running under it also helps clear the v mat..  I set mine so water goes below and above. I am careful to introduce materials on the punch plate back away from the edge so it doesn't go under.  I like being able to break up clods and clay by rubbing it against the punch plate like a cheese grater without fear of dislodging stuff from the v mat.

I guess the question would be, how did you introduce water below the punch plate without introducing any material? The only answer I can come up with is you are not running material on a slick plate prior to the punch plate?  Only using the punch plate as sort of a classifier to put material on.....

On 9/14/2017 at 7:31 AM, LipCa said:

I guess the question would be, how did you introduce water below the punch plate without introducing any material? The only answer I can come up with is you are not running material on a slick plate prior to the punch plate?  Only using the punch plate as sort of a classifier to put material on.....

This is correct

• 2 weeks later...

That's right, the 300' rule is a real killer. It even eliminates the use of a gas vac in dry material if it is within 300' for a watercourse.

These nonsensical rules are really seen for what they are when you have a situation like mine. According to the 300' regulation I cannot even clean up at home using my own water supply and domestic water pump, because I have a year round, small creek that runs through my back yard.

Of course I rigidly adhere to this regulation.     :ph34r: