Need Suggestions - Selling Gold Coins

I am down in the valley of AZ rite now for a family emergency what I need suggestions on is I have several 2.5 dollar gold pieces from the 1800s that I found while detecting a property I owned in Ohio I need to sell these gold coins so I can help my family out with this emergency can someone please tell me where to take these in AZ to sell them so I don't get ripped off as I do not know much about coins 

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestion

Be cautious, emergencies are the sellers worst enemy and the buyer's best friend...

If you can go to two or three coin shops and ask for an offer...

There is or was a forum member that buys gold...don't remember who he is....

btw; ordinary dates and worn coins will only be worth spot minus their cut...

maybe you should post them in the classifieds with pic's...?

fred

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, fredmason said:

maybe you should post them in the classifieds with pic's...?

fred

let me try and take a few pics don't know about posting these on a forum classified section though not going to rush into anything until I know the value for myself I hate parting with them but family comes first every time, these were found under a house I owned and lived in while in Ohio in a huge crawl space the house and the year it was built is what got me into metal detecting the best finds I have ever made and in my mind would be hard to ever top it, they were found in a box buried in the crawl space abut 6 inches below the dirt floor back in one corner the box was full of coins I still have all including the box which was not in vary good condition as it was pretty damp in the crawl space,I have never said anything about this find to anyone other then family members that I trust, the house itself was built in the 1800s and like I said is what got me into metal detecting but you do what you have to just to help family so thus the reason for the sale    

14 hours ago, DSMITH said:

Let me try and take a few pics don't know about posting these on a forum classified section....

You can simply post those photos right here on this thread and we can all share in the fun (I'm serious) of valuing them.

14 hours ago, DSMITH said:

(This find) ...got me into metal detecting the best finds I have ever made and in my mind would be hard to ever top it....

Hey, we all hear you on that -- there are many who have detected 40+ years and have never found a single gold coin let along a cache of them.  Right now (I'm really only a couple years experienced) I would be thrilled to find a silver half dollar.  While I'm at wishing, might as well make that a Walking Liberty..., 1921(any mint -- I'm not greedy)..., Extremely Fine condition....  :biggrin:

• Haha 1

On 10/9/2017 at 10:42 AM, DSMITH said:

Can someone please tell me where to take these in AZ to sell them...?

There is an organization known as the Professional Numismatics Guild which has extremely strict requirements on ethics.  There are, of course, a lot of honest, ethical coin dealers who don't belong the PNG, but the chances of getting ripped off by a PNG member should be next to nil.  If you don't have time to shop around, this would be you best option, IMO.  They may not necessarily be in the position/need to buy you coins but I'm sure under the circumstances they would be happy to give you some indication of value and likely recommend someone who would want to buy them.  I searched thru their website (pngdealers.org) for PNG members in AZ and found these four.  The first guy (Grovich) sounds like the right guy, but I don't know how close you are to Carefree (which I think is ~25 miles north of Scottsdale).  The others could certainly advise and very likely appraise if they aren't interested in buying. Even if you aren't in driving distance I would at least call and tell them of your situation.  They will help.

photo_28803815_596388.jpg
Member No. 553 Since 12/31/1997

American Federal Rare Coin & Bullion
P.O. Box 5810
Carefree, AZ 85377-5810 United States
Hours: 8am-5pm MST
Phone: (800) 221-7694, (480) 553-5282
Fax: (480) 553-5290
Specialties: We trade in all types of gold, silver and platinum bullion. We specialize in buying and selling both rare and bullion type coins. Cash offers. We purchase all types of coins from Indian cents to proof gold. We will travel to inspect collections and pay on the spot, or you can take advantage of our Consignment Program.

photo_28803884_596388.JPG
Member No. 682 Since 08/09/2010

World Numismatics LLC
P. O. Box 5270
Carefree, AZ 85377 United States
Hours: 8am-4:30pm Mon-Fri
Phone: (480) 921-2562, cell (602) 228-9331
Fax: (480) 575-1279
Specialties: Mexico and Latin America
PNG Awards: Robert Friedberg Award - 2010

photo_28803898_596388.jpg
Member No. 707 Since 05/18/2012

Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.
P.O. Box 32891
Tucson, AZ 85751 United States
Hours: 9-5 Mon-Fri in store
Phone: (520) 498-4615, (866) 323-2646
Fax: (520) 529-1299
Specialties: Flying Eagle and Indian Cents, Eagle Eye Photo Seal

photo_28803938_596388.jpeg
Member No. 760 Since 09/02/2014

Tucson Coin & Autograph
6350 N. Oracle Rd.
Tucson, AZ 85704 United States

Phone: (520) 219-4427
Fax: (520) 797-1482
  • Like 5

thanks everyone for all the info trying to get a clear enough pic of some of them with my phone which is not the best gonna try to find someone with a good camera have taken photos about 10 times with my phone of them and every time they look really blurry couldn't make heads nor tails out of the photos