Sign in to follow this  
phoenix

A Half Day At Tarnagulla

Nice Dave. You & I must be competing for the smallest gold finds with a Zed :rolleyes: Those zoomed up pics certainly bring those small bits to life. More so when some quartz is mixed in with the gold. Brings out the character.

Good luck out there

JW :smile:

• Like 1

JW anybody can find multi ounce nuggets that are just laying around, but it takes real talent to find the point oners.. At least that`s what I keep telling myself. cheers Dave :smile:

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Tarnagulla has never been kind to me either Dave. Best I ever scored there were a couple of sub ouncers years ago.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

sub ouncers???? :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

I wish.

I`m talking sub grammers :sad:

• Like 2

Dave: More Llanelly than Tarnagulla, but have a try around Black Ben reef and gully. Oodles of small gold there once and the Z cranked right up should find more.

Same applies to the reef heaps and upper parts of the gullies draining the Corfu Reef area.

PS: Don't tell anyone I told you though!  :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

sweet little nuggets

• Like 1

On 11/4/2017 at 4:46 PM, jrbeatty said:

Dave: More Llanelly than Tarnagulla, but have a try around Black Ben reef and gully. Oodles of small gold there once and the Z cranked right up should find more.

Same applies to the reef heaps and upper parts of the gullies draining the Corfu Reef area.

PS: Don't tell anyone I told you though!  :biggrin:

Corfu brings back memories, I found a beautiful 1/4 oz further down the drainages just off the edge on some surfacing back in 1995. The piece was in red clay which just fell off when I put the nugget in water, leaving a bright polished piece of gold behind. Amazing place Victoria. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Certainly pretty gold at the Corfu, JP. One of Jim Stewarts favourite places and he found a lot of bits in the surfacings over the road from the dam. Got my last bit there (a 3 grammer) following the burn off a couple of years back.

It's another one of those areas where you were once sure to find something, having suffered a goldless day elsewhere :smile:

Speaking of Jim, Robyn is scanning his gold album over coming weeks and I'll be able to post it shortly.

Sorry to derail your topic Phoenix, feel free to reciprocate on mine any time you wish! :biggrin:

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By kiwijw
      Hi guys, I headed back to the spot where I got 10, Eleven but lost one on getting home, bits of gold that I showed a couple of posts ago. I got chased out by the dark & hadnt quite finished the area. Due to my little bit of success I was keen to go back & finish it. I just took the GM with 5" coil as per before. Traveling nice & light. 👍 I didn't get there until 2pm & we had a hum dinger of a frost this morning & got a stunning clear blue sky day out of it. This spot at this time of the year gets no direct sun & was still in hard frost when I got there.

Bugger. going to be hard ground to go with it. It took me a while to get my first signal.

I had to use the pointy end of the pick to "break" the ground out & the signal was coming from that frozen clump of dirt. 

I broke it in half & then saw a bit of gold poking its tongue out at me.

Tiny.
      A 2nd signal wasn't long in coming

Another small bit of gold

That was it from this area, In could get nothing else. So I moved on to another area that had been good to me in the past. I got a few pellets & quite a few signals all in a very tight area. The ground didn't look overly favourable so after a few pellets I decided to give the other signals a miss & jumped across an old tailing race to a spot where I got a nice haul of chunky gold back with my GP 3000. Thinking this would be worth having a go for tiny gold with the Gold monster. I knew there was rotten schist  bedrock not far down & I was going to scrape off the top dirt to expose this bedrock for the monster. I did a quick scan before doing so & BANG, got a signal. Not thinking it was going to be gold.
      But it was

Nothing more so I scraped away about an inch of gravels over a bit of an area. Got numerous very soft faint signals.
      Gold

Gold

And more Gold

I then whittled down a very positive hit to a bit of small schist 

It was nutting off. How I didnt discard it initially I dont know. I was in full max sensitivity 10, Deep all metal mode & the gold chance indicator was hard all the way to the right & not flickering at all. I went into iron reject & the audio was nutting off & the gold chance indicator still hard to the right. I had rubbed the stone clean of dirt, or so I thought, & couldn't work out what the heck was going on. My magnet ignored it. I rubbed it again to clean or dislodge any gold that might have been stuck to it. Nothing dropped off into my scoop. I tumbled the stone over in my hand.....and then I saw it.

Mystery solved. Was a bit of a head scratcher.

Once these signals dried up I just scraped down to the schist bedrock & signals & gold just kept on coming. I ended up smashing into the bedrock & still they kept coming.

I then got a very good hit & the biggest bit of the day came to light.

Still the signals & tiny gold kept coming. I gave up taking pics as it was not far off dark & getting bloody cold. My feet were going numb. I called it quits at 20 pieces & will have to come back to it.

.61 of a gram. Was bloody fun though. I will be back. It ain't over.....
      The Gold Monster was on fire.

Cheers
      Good luck out there
      JW 
    • By kiwijw
      Mrs JW & I headed off to the hills today to a gully I haven't been to for a long time. I was hoping the gold had grown back.  I took with me the Zed, Nox 800 & the Gold Monster.

The ground being damp I was hoping to get a depth & sensitivity edge from previous successful times here. Got stuck into it with the Zed first off. I was able to run High Yield/Normal & 18 sensitivity. I hit an old  patch area first & got a faint signal that disappeared on me when I scraped it. So I used the gold monster to re find it & locate it. Damn shotgun pellet. Bugger. This happened a few times. I then tried the EQ 800 over this old patch area but the coil wasn't very suitable so I gave up on that. Long story short, I got skunked with the Zed & the EQ 800. The day was saved with the mighty Monster. I came to an area in these old turned over gully workings from the old timers that I had found some tiny gold in the past.

Broke out the GM & very slowly combed over the piles. Deep all metal mode & sensitivity on full max 10. First signal was not long in coming.

Bingo. Skunk averted.

The beauty of me having been over these old workings many times is that there is not much rubbish, & the rabbit shooters seem to have not hit this area in a long time. It is a bit of a drive to get here so that is good for that reason.
      2nd signal, another bit of gold.

Then another

This went on for a further 4 pieces making 7 in total for .31 of a gram 

The white rock is a cemented quartz conglomerate boulder & is the same rock that is in the foreground of the above pic of the gully workings.
      I ended the day trying again with the Zed but got skunked with it today. So I was saved by the mighty Monster. My rubbish haul was 6 pellets & one hobnail boot tack. So gold to junk ratio was 50/50    Cheers  
      Best of luck out there.
      JW   
    • By kiwijw
      Hi guys, I guess the jet boating was a bit out of place so I will give it a miss. I can actually do without the video editing of a clip I was going to put up. So skipping ahead to sunday just gone. I was going to go jet boating up the Dart River at the top end of Lake Wakatipu as the New Zealand Jet Boating Association had its annual general meeting in Queenstown over the weekend & the Otago branch was celebrating its 50th anniversary on Saturday night, of which I am a member. So Mrs JW & I went along to that.

They were following up with a jet boat run up the Dart River on sunday. Ironically Mrs JW & I did the Dart River on Saturday as the commercial operation was having a half price locals day which we had booked in advance. I was still keen to go in our boat on sunday but Mrs JW wasn't.  The river was very low & there has been bad fog. so all that could have ended up in a few groundings. I think Mrs JW is still getting over the pushing we had to do the other weekend on the West Coast.
      So come sunday I decided to go for an afternoon detect to a local area. I grabbed the Gold Monster with its 5" coil & relented in taking the Nox or the GB2. Just the GM. Many of you will recognise the area from photos of previous posts of gold finds that I have made here. It is where I very first used my Nox 800 & the success I had there with it & also many times with the Gold Monster & GB2. No one knows better than me that you never get all the gold from a good producing spot. Ever. No matter how many times you go over it. No matter how very slow & thorough you have been each & every time.  I have given up being surprised at getting more gold on different days at various location. Ok... it is very small gold, hence taking the GM 1000 & 5" coil. The Zed just can't cut it here anymore, but who knows...maybe one day it will. The thing I was banking on this day was how damp the ground was & how deep the dampness had penetrated into the ground due to a few recent snow falls that had melted away. But the cold winter days & frosts hadn't allowed the ground to dry out. I know I bang on about how this helps with better sensitivity & ground depth penetration, but it just seems to be a fact.
      So I get to the spot. Fire up the GM. Let it cycle through its start up tuning. Deep All Metal Mode, Full max sensitivity on 10 & just using the detectors internal speaker backed off a couple of notches from full max & into it. Despite the damp ground it is running sweet in our insanely mild ground. Due to getting many small bits of gold here I am in absolutely no hurry with my coil sweep speed. Coil kissing the ground. Not even a couple of minutes into it I get my first signal. I said to myself that I should video this from start to recovery. I didn't....but I went through the whole procedure as if I was videoing it. Even talking it out. I went through all the settings. Auto sensitivity, Auto + sensitivity. Backed off to 9, 8 ,7 All metal mode & Iron reject. First off in 10 sensitivity & deep all metal when I first got the signal it was a very positive hit with the gold chance indicator saying non ferrous most of the time, but the occasional flicker to the dark side. Push the detect mode button to iron reject & still a very strong positive hit & audio signal. If it was ferrous it would have been silent in the audio & the gold chance indicator would have favoured the left side. So I was of no doubt that it was non ferrous. But was it going to be gold? I went back into deep all metal & backed off the sensitivity to 9, still a strong good hit & the gold chance indicator flicking to the right but being a bit eratic, 8 still a hit but a lot weaker. Would have pulled ME up but there was no movement on the gold chance indicator at all. Ok...time to dig. More of a scrape really. Signal was still in there so bit more of a scrape until the signal had moved.  

Ah.... now had it in the scoop in that clump of dirt.

I see it. Ye Ha a bit of the good stuff.

Off to a good start. Slowly scanning about & not two feet away another sweet little signal. Went through the same procedure with settings as before & knew it was non ferrous.
      It was on a schist face dropping down to a tailing race which is down in among those bushes to the left.

Another small bit of gold

Then another signal

Another bit of gold

Not even a bit of junk yet.
      Moved on a little bit & was pulled up by another positive signal

This was a bit deeper

But gold again

Not two feet away I got another signal. This had me digging down to the schist bed rock & even smashing into it.

This was very promising, peeling out schist bedrock & the signal still in there. Non ferrous all the way. Then the signal was in my dug out pile but seemed a lot more mellow. MMmm... thats strange. It should be screaming. Isolated the target in my hand down to a bit of ferrous crap. WHAT....no way. Scanned back over the smashed out bedrock hole

& bingo....screamer signal. That's more what I expected. And here is why.

You beaut. 👍
      Then things went quiet for a wee while so I did my mountain goat thing scrambling on the edge. A 6 foot section of this drop off face has already succumbed to the river below & from where I got a bit of gold in the past with the Zed before it broke away. That was a bit of a wake up call. But I got a signal with the GM & couldn't help myself.

Looking down to the left you will see the smooth slicken schist face from where the rock face peeled away & the ruble way down at the rivers edge.

But gold it was for the GM

But oh so small 
      Back away from the edge a bit I got another sweet little positive hit.

Smashing into the schist bedrock again to move the signal.

Another bit of gold

It was starting to get dark so I took a pic out in the field of what I had so far. 7

What are my chances of getting 10 bits before I call it quits or get driven out by the dark? I made 10 my goal, then I would leave.
      Carrying on from my last bit, I got a signal between two raised edges of schist bedrock.

Scraped away into it until the signal was out.

Gold bit number 8.
      Playing mountain goat again I got a faint faint signal. This glacial deposit area is prone to hot rocks but they are a distinct sound & the rare earth magnet soon sorts them out. This signal was better than that.

Still plenty of battery. Auto+ Sensitivity, deep all metal mode & volume down a couple of notches.

Gold bit number 9

One more to go. Come on.....
      A few minutes later & it came

Number 10. Cool. Time to go.
      Couldn't help myself & kept detecting as I walked out. Got another signal & gold bit number 11. Somehow when I got home to wash & weigh I lost a piece. Bugger.
      So 10 bits here for the Gold Monster

.53 of a gram 

First swing of the Gold monster for quite a while & it didn't fail to produce on absolutely flogged ground. Loved the damp conditions & although I am not too much of a fan of this tiny gold & all the effort that goes into it, it is a bit of a novelty & a fun way to fill in a few hours close to home on a nice cool wintery but sunny afternoon. Cheers
      Good luck out there
      JW 
    • By oneguy
      Been about a month since I've found any but this little guy gave me some redemption...finally!!!!!
      Supposed to rain hard all weekend so I aborted a trip.  Don't get too wet Reese and good luck over there!!!!!

• By kiwijw
      Hi guys, It had been three weekends since I last swung the Zed. Last Wednesday we had another fall of snow down to low levels. I didn't even get to work. Not that I minded as I would have been working outside in it.  Bugger that. Total carnage on the roads as people tried driving in the conditions totally unprepared for it. Saturday came & the weather wasn't supposed to be overly good but I was hanging out for a detect so I went for it. Bit of a late start but I was at my destination & swinging by about midday. It was to an area I have absolutely thrashed over the years but it still on occasions coughs up gold for me. It is where I very first tried the Gold Monster, snagging two bits.
      It was also the exact area where with the 4500 & my then new 11" Coiltek Elite coil I got on to a small pocket of reef gold. It was more just a small rich little quartz leader or stringer that soon dried up on me. I really thought I was on to something good back then. I had to back fill the hole as dark got the better of me & I had to wait until the next weekend to get back to it. Boy was I fizzing.

As you can see it is very rough reefy gold with quartz still attached. I was hoping that due to the snow, which would have melted away from this area, the ground would be moist & hopefully for some depth. It was & I was hoping to latch on to some more of this reef gold as the damp ground conditions always gives me better depth & sensitivity. So I got to the spot & rigged up the Zed. I got far enough away from my truck so it wouldn't interfere with the detector before firing it up. Checked my settings. High Yield/Normal & full max sensitivity at 20. Settings as of my last mission. Auto tuned. Ground balanced over the ferrite ring & I was into it. Straight away I was hit with noisy ground. I don't usually get such a bad reaction in damp ground. Maybe it was this particular location on top of the damp ground. I backed the sensitivity to 18. It wasn't as bad but still more noisy than I usually get. I forced myself to put up with it & tried my best to tame it with very slow coil sweeps, as I knew there had been gold here in the past so I was in no rush, & I managed very careful coil control keeping it very smooth & avoided any slight lifting. Keeping the coil as flat to the ground as I could & a consistent height. Which was a low as I could get. Otherwise I was plagued with moans & groans & the Zed warble.
      I was into it about two minutes fighting the ground noise when I thought I heard a target signal. Gosh.... I wasn't overly sure with the noises going on but it did appear to always be in that one spot ever so slight. A couple of scrapes & it had moved. Bugger.... probably a shotgun pellet.
         You can hardly even see the scrape mark but a small bit of gold it was. 
      .21 of a gram
      Then not even three feet away another very faint target like signal among the noise.
      Another bit of gold but this was tiny for that big coil.
      .04 of a gram. 
      Then believe it or not but another signal about three feet away. Another very shallow scrape.
      But tiny gold again. .07 of a gram.
      Gosh my first three signals & three bits of gold. I was on a roll.... or was I? No that was where it ended for hours. The ground noise was doing my head in so I flicked into High Yield/Difficult. That made things a lot more bearable, I was able to crank the sensitivity back up to 20 & felt I had to to get back some sensitivity but knew It was no match for High Yield/Normal. It was also when the gold dried up for me. I did get a few pellets & on an old patch area I got a signal that had me down 10" on to the rotten schist bedrock where all the gold from my old patch was on. I was 100% sure that this was going to be a good bit of gold. Finally got the target in my hand & it was a flat bit of lead. Bugger. I ended up with a few of those & it was starting to get dark & I was just hoping for one more bit of gold to end the day on. The weather had been ok for the day but the wind had really picked up & was most unpleasant. I got a signal that again was just a shallow scrape but it was onto bedrock after about 2 inches when the signal was out.
      Ye Ha. A bit of gold to finish the day on.
      .16 of a gram
      So all up 4 pieces for just .49 of a gram 
      And the associated rubbish
      Got back home in time to watch the All Blacks, our national rugby team, play France & beat them 52-11 
      Cheers
      Good luck out there
      JW 
    • By mlgdave
      All from 1 pocket actually 140 feet underground
      Mlgdave