A Lighter Weight GPZ 7000?

I don't want a detector that feels like a toy and unfortunately this is my impression of the very lightest detectors including the XP.  

There are times when I lose my balance and I don't want to break something (ears on the coils breaking is my pet peeve).  (A broom handle for the Monster would be like a cane or walking stick?)

Today I started out using the 19 and I always use a hipstick for the Z and 3030 with 17.  For some reason (out of practice) the 19 got to me today.  I could feel my lower back 'burning' and that is not good.  I hurt my back weight training a few years back before serious detecting so I have to be careful.  Today there was nothing I could do to adjust the stick and the coil.  I had to take it off after 3 hours.  We have a friend who tried to ride through the pain and that was a big mistake.  It took many months to fix him.

The good news was that the 14 was light as a feather.

Mitchel

• Like 2

Hi all and what a lovely day here in Victoria today.

Reg i went into the La La forest today and tried my hip stick for the first time, and wow what a difference it made  only problem was i couldn't carry the Rake lol.

Try it with the pro harness it might surprise you.

No gold today. 

I love the hip stick on my GPZ.  You can hook it up to any Camelback hydration pack (no need for the Minelab harness).  Funny thing is I just took my new Gold Monster for a walk and my shoulder was more sore from walking that!  Probably because I'm not used to using those muscles.  Go figure.

• Thanks 1

Sorry Rocket, but I just couldn't go back to the'cripple'  (hip) stick and harness. Being trussed up like a trotting horse is not my idea of prospecting. Totally free of cords, harness and sticks is the way to go, but hey, whatever 'floats your boat'.

I personally would like to see someone with lots of money, time and detector expertise. Strip down a Gpz 7000. And attempt to make a lighter and durable unit out of it. Something similar to what Steve has been doing with the Garrett ATX. To me, this is probably way easier said than done. 

Mr. Beatty started this thread.

All Reg said was if Minelab sent them a GPZ they could probably strip it to components and reassemble into a lighter package, not design a competing unit from the ground up. I could do the same and have done it before with other detectors. The GPZ it would be harder than I think people imagine but it could be done. You would probably end up with something that looks like a GPX.

• Like 1

Frankly, the one I would really like to undertake as a rebuild project is the SDC 2300. The GPZ I am fine with as it is not as easy as one might think due to that DOD coil, and the coil is half the magic of the GPZ.

The SDC though... for starters you have four "C" cells! At 5.1 lbs I would say a worthy goal would be for under 4 lbs in a dry land configuration. Something ideal for working in very steep, vegetation covered, mountainous terrain.

• Like 3

Yeah I get that, but making a detector with new tech in a body that is light weight, strong and easy to swing with a 14 inch coil that is just as sensitive if not more sensitive than the 8 inch SDC coil as well as making everyone happy will now and always be impossible.  I understand that some of the older folk can't swing the Z for very long but unless you are going to make a detector as good as the Z and 2 kgs lighter than what is the point of flogging the old horse.