GPX Coil Question - Mono or DD?

hawkeye

I am looking for advice from the GPX Veterans on the forum.

I recently acquired a GPX 4800. The stock coil with the 4800 is the 11" DD. I am thinking that my approach to learning this machine should be to read as much as possible about the settings, and log hours detecting. Not really a novel approach. So should I buy a mono coil now, or wait til I get more experience with DD?

I have a feeling that at this point along the learning curve I may not even be able to tell the difference. Luckily I didn't get two coils so I don't have the problem of deciding which to use.

My advice - get a mono. One of the main advantages of the GPX is the ability to leverage mono coils for maximum effect. My DD coil for my GPX never got used at all. Hardly anyone uses DD coils on a GPX unless they are wanting to use the discrimination system.

The big question is which mono to get, and that is one question everyone has a different opinion on. Chasing smaller stuff, get the Sadie coil or 8" Commander. For a little larger coil the 12" x 15" Commander mono is a good coil. Or the 11" Commander the 5000 comes with, one of the best and least respected coils around.

• Like 2

I'd recommend the 11" Commander mono as well, probably one of the best coils to learn with size wise. Definitely get a Monoloop coil now, like Steve said that's what the GPX detectors are all about so may as well learn the 4800 with the best coil for the job.

JP

Hawkeye;

the 11 commander-mono is an excelllent coil.

Be aware of this, if you have a mono coil on and switch to cancel it is effectively a dead coil. However it is an effective way to pinpoint large targets. I have from time to time enjoyed some very quiet detecting--- before I checked my switch position.

Also, while you are waiting just use your dd in the mono position. The coil as has been mentioned becomes a psuedo-mono...and is very sensitive but the target will seem off-center. 

Also, if you are working very, very close to power lines give the cancel mode a go...with the dd

Good hunting

I run mono 90% of the time, in various sizes. Depending on conditions and depth of gold I'm looking for. Mono works for me. But I know some gentlemen that run DD and they kick butt with it. So I believe it comes down to what is comfortable and works for you. Still waiting for that real deep reverse signal though.