GPX Coil Question - Mono or DD?

hawkeye

If you're running a Mono coil in Mono mode then the Mono mode does an interesting thing to the way the detector presents its data received back from the coil, because the electronics are expecting two pieces of information back based on a DD coils transmit and receive sections, the electronics are expecting to do an averaging of the two. However with a Monoloop coil in place there is only one stream of information returning, but the electronics will still do an averaging of the signal anyway hence a slightly smoother detector compared to running in DD mode. Basically its acting like a filter when in Mono mode with a Monoloop coil attached. 

I personally prefer a raw information stream from the detector so have always promoted using the DD mode over Mono. With the GP and GPXs up till the GPX 5000 this was quite important especially on days where EMI and Sferics noise was high, however with the 5000 it is not so critical thanks to improvements in the circuitry.  

JP

Hawkeye; Here is the final word on which coil. 

I work some ground that is so magnetic that when I dropped my pick, all I could get back was the wooden handle. for that area I use a DD.

I have a spot where the gold is so small that a mosquito landing on your hand will blow away the nuggets while you are admiring them. for that area I use a small mono.

I have another spot that is loaded big nuggets at about 3' that I go to when my bank account get low. There I use a large mono.

You will find, like the rest of us, that you'll eventually have a collection of different coils.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, YAREN said:

Well. for big pieces. GPX 5000. which title. DD and Mono

It’s a matter of opinion depending on many factors, including ground mineralization and electrical interference. If you want somebody to pick one for you, I will say mono.