Personal Messaging (PM) Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
yankee nugget

Fresh Lava Could There Be Placer

am not into geology ,,,,i dont know  hard rock mining either .....what i know 5 types of lava .....what,, where and how would u look for placer in this lava or this area ??? ......this is in a gold rich area ....could a gold bug 2 find anything ?????? any information would be helpful thanks

A placer is a concentration of mineral that occurs after the original host rock has decomposed. Therefore a placer cannot by definition exist in fresh lava.

If you are simply asking if gold could be found in a recently cooled fresh lava flow, the answer is that is extremely unlikely.

Placer Geology

• Like 2

thank you steve for giving me a better understanding on placer vs hard rock .........i guess those 2 woman from from the UK just got lucky at the Taal volcano ,,,,,,there father was a  geologist and the nuggets were fist size ,,,,,,that was the first time those women used metal detectors and the first time at Taal  they said the father sent them here to find the gold that was years ago  .....so placer might  be found from old (millions of years ) lava flows ....my understanding of Taal is nobody ever looked on the crater island ,,,,,thanks again steve

• Like 1

Yankee where did you see the report? cantfind anything.....just wondering? Link? Cheers, Ig

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Jin
      Ok, this is going to give away my lack of real-life gold hunting experience.
      I've heard two different responses to this question so I'm left a little confused and hoping someone can clear this up. 
      My question is:  In most cases would the larger pieces of gold travel less and be closer to the source and the smaller pieces travel further away? (this is what I would think would happen)
      On the few occasions if found patches I've found the larger bits were closer to the shedding reef but have sometimes experienced the complete opposite with some of my bigger finds a lot further down the slope. (maybe two different sheddings? ... they say that a reef at one time may have been a lot higher, so gold shed at different intervals may be in different spots)
      For those that have found patches what has been your observations?
      Cheers Jin 
    • By wanderer
      I am going out on my first detecting trip I think I'll be using an xterra 705.  The area I am interested in  is south western idaho generlly around  silver city the war eagle mine  and a few other spots up there> I still have alot to do in terms of research  and permission.   I t looks promising , rugged and well who knows?   Does anyone know if this  is what you would call a mineralized soil area?   I may drive on over to  the Jordan valley area of oregon as well.    any knowledge on this location?
      Thanks in advance.
    • By Sourdoughmoe
      I have a question??? If gold is found on some beaches all over the world could it be found in sand under the tundra in Alaska????
    • By mn90403
      I have heard Dr. Erik Melchiorre  give a talk on finding nuggets in Quartzsite that came from bacteria.  He said he had been to Australia talking with someone there about it so this might be the group.  It is an interesting discovery.
      http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-22/how-your-old-phone-is-a-tiny-gold-mine/9330994 
      Mitchel
    • By johnedoe
      Hey Steve.... How ya doin with the earthquake swarm?
      http://www.rgj.com/story/news/2018/01/17/south-reno-earthquake-swarm-over-230-quakes-and-counting/1041466001/