Wall Charger?

bado1

Thanks Steve. I was hoping to get more info than the manual provided in the pdf. I have an 800 in route now via UPS. I don't see any of the charger symbols shown in the warning on the 2.1 amp charger that I purchased from Wally World today.

All I can tell you is I knew none of this throughout the testing phase, and grabbed just any old USB charger I had around, and had no problems with any of them. Chargers do not force a charge - the device draws the charge, so a higher rated charger will not blow the detector up.

Lower rated chargers typically just take longer to charge. I have not heard a single person yet complain of having issues with chargers, so I think Equinox is pretty forgiving here. Still, Minelab had to cover their posterior legally (the fine print) and so the stuff they recommend is to make sure you have no problems, In other words, having the symbols is a good thing, but them lacking does not mean the charger will not work.

If you read the stuff I posted again, you will see they are warning you more about damaging the chargers than the detector.

• Like 1

Do you know if a new 'adaptive fast charging' Samsung Travel Charger' can be used to charge the Equinox? Fast output is 15 watts/ 9V@1.67A for devices that support 'adaptive fast charging'. Other micro USB compatible devices charge at 10 watts/ 5V@2.0A.

The Battery Charging Recommendations sheet that comes in the Equinox box says, 'Charge the Equinox battery with a USB charger that has a minimum capacity of 2A@+5V(e.g. Apple or Samsung). This will result in a full charge tine of less than 4 hours.

Question: Does the Equinox support 'adaptive fast charging'? If not, should I use this charger (wally world purchase) that has an output of 9V. I guess if the Equinox doesn't support 'adaptive fast charging' then there should be no problem because the charger should charge 5V@2A.

https://www.amazon.com/Official-Samsung-Adaptive-Charging-Charger/dp/B01MG6DQ05/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1529536407&sr=1-1&keywords=samsung+fast+charge+travel+charger+with+usb+to+micro+usb+cable

https://www.barcodelookup.com/887276085500

The Equinox is not fast charge capable. As to whether it is safe to use this charger, I do not know if these fast chargers are backwards compatible with other devices.  My recommendation is therefore to stay away.

Anker, Ravpower and others rated at 2.4 A and 5V are the way to go.

• Like 1

Thank you for the info, very helpful. Curious, where did you read about the Equinox not being fast charge capable?

6 hours ago, Aurum said:

Thank you for the info, very helpful. Curious, where did you read about the Equinox not being fast charge capable?

Fast charge capability is a major selling point on other devices (ie: phones). Since ML does not mention it in the specs for the Equinox I believe it's a valid assumption to make.

A LOT of confusion on this whole charging thing:  

The Equinox draws 1.7A (current) at 5 Volts DC.  At that rate, the Equinox will charge up in about 4 hours from "empty".  If the charger is designed to limit current to less than 1A (e.g., computer USB ports which can only typically put out 0.5 A of current) then the Equinox will just charge slower and just take the current that the source will allow.  That is why ML recommends the name brand 2A+ rated chargers, since these chargers can source the maximum current that the Equinox needs to charge at the maximum rate.  Higher current rated 5VDC USB chargers will not harm the Equinox as the Equinox will only draw the maximum current its charge circuit will allow (about 1.7A).  Additionally, as Phrunt said, the Equinox does not support any of the proprietary rapid charge protocols.

However, ML wants you to stay away from medium duty, non-current regulated (cheap) 1A chargers that are not designed to throttle back current so they will attempt to potentially source current greater than their rating as the Equinox can suck up to 1.7A, and that may result in in overheating or of the charger or having the charger shut down on thermal overaload.  Niether of which will harm the Equinox, however, they may interrupt your Equiox's charge or worst case catch on fire which is not a good thing to happen right next to your Equiox, plus risking damage to your precious, proprietary Equinox charge cable.  So just get a beefy charger (2A or greater) from a reputable electronics power supply manufacturer and you should be all set.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Higher current rated 5VDC USB chargers will not harm the Equinox as the Equinox will only draw the maximum current its charge circuit will allow (about 1.7A)

Yep - been about to write the same

Thanks guys. Good info