Sign in to follow this  
Tnsharpshooter

XP Deus Hunt Using Both HF Coils

Alright,
Thought I would share a few experiences I had today while detecting in the wild.
A 3 hour hunt with split time between round and elliptical HF coils.
Made a few finds using both coils.

I ran the hot program while actually hunting.  But used gold field program to check some targets.  Glad I did too. Payed off.
Here is pic.

2rhpezd.jpg

Notice the bracelet with the name on it.  Gent is still a kicking and in his 80s now, bracelet likely lost back in late50s early 60s.  I showed it to his sister actually.
What about this bracelet portion?
I hope folks don't laugh here, what I am going to say, but it is true.
I was when I found this, in the same area where cut Spanish bit and half dime came from back in the summer.  I'll bet I have swung a Deus detector, others too over this bracelet buried over 300 times.  And I heard it likely every time but didn't dig.
Why?
Probably the same reason why is the same reason I wouldn't have dug again today except for the mighty gold field program.

I swept this bracelet (not knowing) with hot program and the signal I got, I would have bet the farm it was relic iron.  A very tight super high short blaring signal.  I actually remember getting this same tone here previously many times before.  Remember this place does infact have old relic iron smaller, medium sized and bigger all over.  

So in the past I was writing this target off as iron.
Today after I hit the target, I toggled over to gold field same freq run as my hot program Reactivty 2.5.  When Iistened to this target using gold field, a nice sounding signal smooth on the edges, usually a good giveaway it is infact nonferrous.  And sure enough it was.

One more target I dug  today I will discuss, and again using gold field gave me some additional Intel to actually recover find.
The old button in the pic.
I located it with round HF coil but the tone signature was crippled big time, with multiple tones being had as I swept.  I repeated sweep several times and I would have gave < 15 % chance of nonferrous even existing beneath my coil.  But checking target with gold field even even running 1 level lower (slower) Reactivty (level 2.5) I got more to go on vs the disc mode hot program, meaning now my odds went up to >50 % chance of being nonferous based on what I heard.

To conclude here.
I won't BS folks here.
Using the HF coils running 28.8khz they can be sharper in iron vs the LF coils.  A person will get used to if they apply themselves.  One thing I will mention here and this too is a good weapon (using gold field to check suspect targets) is using disc program sometimes Deus audio will get caught, trying to sound off extremely close to iron range, and a user may be thinking is what I hear nonferrous or is it iron.  When you get these, if you hit them with gold field and you hear nothing, or you hear a signal more corrupt vs what you heard using disc mode program, you can almost bet the farm what you are hearing is iron.  Now this applies moreso to shallow and middepth targets.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Thanks for the assessment David.

1 hour ago, goldbrick said:

Thanks for the assessment David.

You are welcome.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Gerry in Idaho
      Help with IDing a few finds. While at one of my favorite sites in NV., using Equinox 800 I found a few oldies. 1868 US 2 Cent Copper is certainly a "Hats Off" moment. What's the Chinese symbols on the tin mean? Anyone know pewter silverware "think it's C Parker"?
      Last is a really big bullet casing. It's short & not like a longer rifle casing. Pretty wide so the bullet was at least 50 cal +? Letters F. V. V. & Co stamped on base. There is no primer. If you think of anyone who knows such items, please forward. Thanks for your help.

• By MCH2
      Streamlining
      At the moment I am a quantity clad hunter. Just looking for more efficient ways of operating. Currently I am using the Equinox 600 with wireless low latency headphones.  I use park mode 1 with 50 tones and leave open VDI numbers 13, and 24 to 38.   My method: I mostly bend at the waist with a little knee flex to dig (no kneeling); most coins are less than 5" deep. I use a Lesche 10" hand trowel and a smaller wider trowel for popping near surface coins. I only bend over once per target. I use a pinpointer after initial coil pinpointing leaving the pinpointer on facing away from the target while digging, dig target, pinpoint again as needed, recover target, turn pinpointer off, fill in hole, pick up tools, then straighten back up, pocket finds, holster tools and give the hole a final step on and start sweeping again. I have gone from using the pinpointer holster to using my back pants pocket as this is faster to draw and replace without having to stop and look to holster. Also started using a quicker holster for my larger trowel and keep my small wider trowel in my other back pocket. I use a small tie on hardware apron with a pocket for finds and a pocket for trash.  My 600 is tethered to my belt with an elastic bungee cord so it hangs and moves with me when I bend and straighten up; it never gets laid on the ground.
      Anyone like to share their method of streamlining to increase efficiency and cut down on redundancy.
       Malcolm
    • By LowTide
      In light of the recent release of the Minelab Equinox, and expected release of competitive products I've noticed various posts across the Internet of tests/reviews/comparisons of detectors on fresh and saltwater beaches with "Black Sand".  But there is only a 50/50 chance that the beach "Black Sand" you are looking at is iron bearing "Black Sand".  The other possibility is that it is plant matter that has decayed and been ground into fine powder by wind and wave action.  Those in areas where Bog Iron is produced or those Southern Red Clays have to deal with sands that are iron bearing but not necessarily Black in color.  Some of the hottest sands I've ever seen were Purple in color.  To know whether the "Black Sand" is the bad kind(iron bearing) you need to test it, a simple magnet can help or a detector with a ground type meter.   Unless a tester/reviewer has verified the black beach sand as iron bearing I would be skeptical of the results.
    • By nuggetnewbie
      Well,
      Just joined this wonderful forum. I was trying to decide on my first Detector and found a Deal I couldn't pass on MetalDetector.com. Took the plunge on a Fisher F70 bonus pack with 11" & 5" coils, Headset, carry bag and some other stuff. $475. I thought that was a good deal. Wasn't planning on spending that much on my first one so i hope it works good enough to find some nice small nuggets! We have a camping trip planned in Sept. in the Sierra Nevada's so I can't wait! Probably do some testing at or near home before the trip just to get a feel for it. Any tips on settings for around / in Streams? Here's a newbie question for you, if the coils are supposed to be waterproof, does that mean i can submerse them in shallow waters to detect? I'm hoping i can along the shores. REALLY itching for my Detector to get here now! Good Hunting! 😎
    • By KOOPDOG50
      Hey there peops, i have a Nokta Fors CoRe with  13x11web coil ,9x5web coil and a 4x4 coil, and i also have a pinpointer.
      I haven't found any gold with this machine,, but on a test nugget it does register/ give a signal.
      My question i ask is , can i fit other coils to the machine that will be better for finding small nuggets ??
    • By KOOPDOG50
      Hi , everyone ,, koopdog here, thanks for the add.
      I prospect for gold mostly and have found around 40 grammes, both by using a sluice in my creek and with a detector.
      I am currently using a Minelab SDC2300, and also own a Nokta Fors CoRe .
      I aim to learn tips and hints from more experienced hunters.
         Cheers .