White's GM 4B Multi Freq Mod Question

gollum

After reading a quote from Steve that older VLF Detectors will perform much the same as newer ones (just without some bells and whistles), I jumped and got a Goldmaster 4B for $250. 

I know the adjustable frequency control is there for the detector to play nice with other White's Detectors in the area. Has anybody ever (to y'alls knowledge) ever modded one for a lower frequency range so that it would (conceivably) go deeper? 

One of the popular mods for a Minelab SD2000 was to add extra frequencies so it would perform better on smaller nuggets. I would be interested in going the opposite way on my Goldmaster. 

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Mike

I have never heard of such a thing personally. A slight shift in frequency is one thing but a whole different frequency would probably require a redesign. A VLF is not a PI and even older PI models with through hole circuit boards are easier to modify than newer stuff. The surface mount digital machines are ruining it for the modification guys.

Besides, the Goldmasters are no slouches in the depth department. The frequency and depth thing is a generality but like anything else there are exceptions.

Thanks Steve. Just wondering if anybody had ever seen it done.

I was actually going to get an SDC, but since I see that they are being combined with GPXs for sale, I put things off until I find out more about the 7000. 

I have had my original SD2000 since 1997, that Ismael modded. I got a stock backup about ten years ago. The mods did two things that made it easy to use:

1. Got rid of the warble (running it at 8 volts)

2. More sensitive to smaller gold (adj freqs)

Thanks Again - Mike