Fisher F-Pulse Versus Garrett Carrot

I just ordered an F-pulse. I hope it is better than the Garrett Carrot.  I just give the carrot to my grandson.. 

I got my F-pulse yesterday and I turned it on and it wouldn't shut off. I had to take the batteries out to stop it.  I put the batteries back in and tried it again and the same thing happened, it just kept screaming. Not impressed.  It's going back in the box and returning it. 

Conventional wisdom on metal detectors is wait at least six months to a year before buying one, just to give early buyers time to find the glitches. Which the manufacturer will presumably improve on. Sad to say this seems to apply to pinpointers also. I'm sorry you got stuck with a bum one. :sad:

I don't blame the manufacturer.  I usually vent 1st then try and figure out if there is a fix. It may be the button sticking and possibly needs some use.. I still have two days to try and see if it's something simple. 

I was going to try the Minelab 35 but really couldn't find enough reviews to convince me to buy. It may be in my future

• Like 2

I received my F Pulse today. I'm very impressed with it's performance over the Garrett pinpointers. Programming is a bit trying at first but I favor it over the Garrett products.And it fits well in the hand. The tip detection is far superior and it has at least 1.5" further detection depth on small targets. 

• Like 2

Well no matter what I do I cannot get the F-pulse to program. It is locked in minimum sensitivity on vibrate and unless you're 1" from a coin you get nothing. I could barely find a coin in a hole. Not impressed.  I think it will go to the why did I buy that museum. 

I was going to try the Minelab 35 but really couldn't find enough reviews to convince me to buy. It may be in my future

1 hour ago, Norm S said:

Well no matter what I do I cannot get the F-pulse to program. It is locked in minimum sensitivity on vibrate and unless you're 1" from a coin you get nothing. I could barely find a coin in a hole. Not impressed.  I think it will go to the why did I buy that museum. 

Norm, the included programming directions are a bit confusing.  I had to read it with pinpointer in hand a few times to get the hang of it.  Hold the button down with pinpointer off-adjust the light, hold button down with pinpointer already on-program sensitivity.  If you're really going to just toss it in a drawer, maybe you could sell it to me for a back-up?  I'm not sure if the warranty would transfer if there's something wrong with it though.  I love mine after I got it figured out.

Norm, try these instructions, see if they are any easier to understand.

There are 2 software versions, R1 & R2. R1 had a lock-up problem if you turn the unit on while overloaded. R2 fixed that problem, and in the process I added a few new features. Therefore, you need to figure out which version you have as I moved the factory reset from 3 clicks to 2 clicks, should you need that feature. The easy way to tell what version you have is to turn the thing on while a coin is right against the tip; if it locks up, that's R1; if you hear a beep-boop-beep-boop-beep-boop overload jingle, that's R2.

In R2 I slightly extended the default time-out from 2s to 3s. I also added a Turbo-On mode which bypasses the auto-cal procedure and shortens the power-on time to maybe 1/4 seconds. There is a separate Turbo-Off mode which reverses the "off" and "retune" functionality; a quick-press powers down, while a press-hold retunes. If you use both Turbo-On and Turbo-Off, then the F-Tek powers up & down incredibly fast.

PP_OperationR1.pdf

PP_OperationR2.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

• 4 weeks later...

So how can we update that little bugger? Is there a way to do it, after it got assembled?