My First Equinox Silver!

Very cool finds, a bit of everything for sure. Your description of the tones for deep targets is spot on. Future is bright and shiny for you and the silver. 

• Like 1

Guest Tnsharpshooter
3 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

One thing I didn’t mention because I didn’t want to be the guy who looks like he’s exaggerating or hyping a story but I can’t help myself.. This site is tough!  I never use the term hunted out but this site is very tough to pull old coins out of..  I’m a bit shocked at what  I came home with..  Especially considering I was working with a limited area because of snow and I was spending a lot of time analyzing targets..  I dug a lot of weird signals just to learn the Equinox but none of these pictured  targets were  iffy signals..  In fact not a single weird iffy signal turned out to be anything good..  I also pulled several 4 to 6 inch clad coins that should not have been there.. Normally it’s only a few fresh drop surface clad.. To put this into further perspective, my friend who is extremely proficient with his V3i went home with one Indian Head cent..

I hope today’s hunt wasn’t just a fluke.. I guess time will tell.

Bryan

Bryan, your story sure sounds like some of my experiences.

Folks who never run Equinox I don't think will ever appreciate.

I'm with you on that depth meter analysis!  I'm used to running a DFX, which is usually spot-on with the depth reading.  I've only had my 800 at the beach so far, so I thought that might be the reason the depth was a bit "off".  Our beaches are sanded in. Again. 

Why is it that the recent Nor'easters are uncovering dang ship wrecks in New England http://wnep.com/2018/03/06/noreaster-uncovers-revolutionary-war-era-shipwreck-in-maine/

And we're getting nothing but tons more sand from them here in Florida?  It just ain't right, I say! :laugh:

• Like 1

Nice report!  Would also be curious what settings you were using (looks like PARK1?).

Bummer that token is so hosed, love finding tokens!

HH,
Cal

• Like 1

SUPER job, Cabin Fever.  You really managed some great finds!  I found my first silver with the Equinox a couple of days ago as well, fifth hunt, probably 20 hours total on the machine so far; ALSO in a very "hunted-out" park and ALSO a coin that "shouldn't have been there."  I had swung over this coin multiple times in the past...

No, depth is not a problem.  At all.  Nor is separating out the goodies from within the iron/trash.  This machine is impressive.  And -- as Steve likes to say, it's just "fun" to hunt with.

Steve

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Thanks for the report, Bryan.  I've been reading this forum long enough to know that you a) have some good hunting spots, and b) really know how to get the most from your detectors.  Now with an Eqx you really should be labeled "armed and dangerous!"  Even given your previous success, though, this is still very encouraging.  Couple questions:

1) Did you have to scrub hard with an abrasive to clean that Buffy?

2) What settings were you using on your Eqx?

#1 Yes, I use steel wool or SOS pads on my Nickels.. Sometimes they turn out nice if they have a lot of detail and you don’t go too far with it.. This Nickel was pretty toasty and didn’t come out real nice..  I usually try to just highlight the details and leave some red in the background but it’s not always possible on the slick ones..The V Nickel in this photo is usually what I strive for in a Nickel Cleaning..  I use a pink eraser on my copper pennies after a water cleaning and just water on Silver..

#2 Most of my Detecting was done in Park 1, 50 Tones, No Discrimination, Recovery Speed 4, Iron Bias 0.. I also did a little hunting in Park 2, 5 Tones that we’re set up to High tone the Nickel zone and Copper Zone and low tone everything else.. 

6B9F5B11-6D85-4F92-9970-A97A2ABAE026.jpeg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

One thing I didn’t mention because I didn’t want to be the guy who looks like he’s exaggerating or hyping a story but I can’t help myself.. This site is tough!  I never use the term hunted out but this site is very tough to pull old coins out of..  I’m a bit shocked at what  I came home with..  Especially considering I was working with a limited area because of snow and I was spending a lot of time analyzing targets..  I dug a lot of weird signals just to learn the Equinox but none of these pictured  targets were  iffy signals..  In fact not a single weird iffy signal turned out to be anything good..  I also pulled several 4 to 6 inch clad coins that should not have been there.. Normally it’s only a few fresh drop surface clad.. To put this into further perspective, my friend who is extremely proficient with his V3i went home with one Indian Head cent..

I hope today’s hunt wasn’t just a fluke.. I guess time will tell.

Bryan

Having accomplished exactly what you have in terms of hunting isn't exaggeration. I completely agree with it 100%. It is simply a spot on machine. I went to an old home site from the early 1900's yesterday to hunt. I've been there probably 30 times to hunt along with my father-in law. Together we've pulled out 40-50 total coins and the last 3 times I went I was skunked with my deus and my CTX. I thought I would declare the site done only after I hunted it with the equinox and lo and behold I got two more wheats. Both were crystal clear high tones, you just knew before you dug. 

I hope I can get a few IHP's before you get them all. 

• Like 3

Another hunt yesterday in a heavily hunted old park..  I’m starting to get a better feel for the modulation and the Equinox is growing on me quickly..  Can’t get over the depth with the stock 11” coil..  

This park has been good to me with several key date coins in the past and yesterday it gave up a pretty nice 1912 S Wheat to add to my collection..

Check out the depth of the 1920 D Wheat!

Bryan

07BF34F0-548F-4A94-8379-00DC420B6B29.jpeg

F652ADD5-394D-4A3B-927D-30D45C6614D1.jpeg

2A8296E7-C804-49F9-B568-4A17DB17BA21.jpeg

0664A392-72AB-4167-B428-AB0521AA1A02.jpeg

• Like 2