They are pretty much the same.  One will cost you a little more....   :smile:

The 5000 has the Fine gold timing and is slightly 'quieter' with respect to electronic noise.  That's the main difference.

I have a 5000 and rarely use the Fine Gold timing.  The ground I hunt doesn't require it.  My friend has a 4500 and does as well or better than I do.  I use Sensitive Extra a lot and the 4500 has that timing too.

Good Luck with your decision.

Luke

• Like 3

for a little more money you get a few more options...I had the 5000 and the 3500...now the GPZ...

I suggest the 5000 or a used GPZ-they are going pretty cheap. 

don't get taken on ebay, etc. scams...buyer beware

fred

Yes, definitely, be careful buying second hand... I came insanely close to buying a fake GPX 5000 a couple of days ago....  Fortunately I put a lot of pressure on the seller for proof it was genuine which ended up exposing it.  I'm going to be far more careful from now on.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

A good ole Minelab 4500 is a killer deal these days if you can find one....highly recommend it. The early model the better.....

• Like 3

Thanks for all the comment guys............

I realy wish I could have a 7000 but just can't justify it because of where I live. I just am not able to get out much for detecting. However after a few trips with "Mugsy" who has one, I gotta say that I am very impressed with the number of smaller nuggets it produces.

BTW Steve this is a little off topic but I discovered and maybe everyone else knows this but me, we found good sized nuggets in Alaska, (a place you are familiar with) that the 7000 found but were not detectable with a 4000 or 4500. These were NOT small nuggets. I was surprized but you probably have come accross this.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Big Nuggets Bob said:

the 7000 found but were not detectable with a 4000 or 4500. These were NOT small nuggets. I was surprized but you probably have come accross this.

I see this almost every day. The area I am working has seen every generation of detector and I still pull out nice pieces consistently with the 7000. 

• Like 1

On 3/7/2018 at 4:57 PM, Big Nuggets Bob said:

Thanks for all the comment guys............

I realy wish I could have a 7000 but just can't justify it because of where I live. I just am not able to get out much for detecting. However after a few trips with "Mugsy" who has one, I gotta say that I am very impressed with the number of smaller nuggets it produces.

BTW Steve this is a little off topic but I discovered and maybe everyone else knows this but me, we found good sized nuggets in Alaska, (a place you are familiar with) that the 7000 found but were not detectable with a 4000 or 4500. These were NOT small nuggets. I was surprized but you probably have come accross this.

My staff and I train customers in small groups at famous Rye Patch, NV and Sumpter, OR.  When we get a good soft signal we allow all the detectors in the class to try and hear it.  This allows everyone to see which model and brands of detectors are doing best (on that target in that soil) at hearing it.  9 times out of 10, the 4500 with same size coil hears what the 5000 does.  If money is not an option, then the 5000 covers more bases.  But so would a Gold Monster 1000 and 4500 for less money than a 5000...Just something to think about.

As for the 7000 seeing big gold the GPX do not?  Oh boy does it ever.  That is part of Day 1 class and seeing many varieties of gold and how they respond to different detectors and technologies.  I can even show you $500 pieces of gold my GM-1000 sees better than my 7000.  More food for thought.

So many people assume a high dollar gold detector finds it all.  Not so fast my friend.  Proper Education will help you find more gold.

DSCN8825.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By schoolofhardNox
      I have the pleasure of sporting the worst cold I have ever had. I should be doing battlefield metal detecting, but for the past 5 days I am just enjoying this cold.😡 So, not feeling like doing any real work or going anywhere, I decided since my beach hunts are over until fall, I would gather up and count and post all my finds for the whole season…. A season wrap up, if you will. Since I couldn’t muster up the enthusiasm to do everything in one post I figured I would at least post the good stuff. So here it is – the Gold and Silver finds from last Labor Day thru this Memorial Day. I managed 36 beach trips, not sure how many hours but probably about 250 hours of detecting. The breakdown goes like this: Gold total – 36 pcs, at an average of 1 pc per visit. Silver total (coins and other) – 207 pcs, at an average of 5.75pcs per hunt. The breakdown for silver is: 146 coins consisting of 6 Half Dollars, 27 Quarters, 98 dimes, 15 War Nickels. The other items (rings, chains, earrings, pendants, odd broken pieces etc.… - amounted to 61 pcs. Coming later “someday” will be the clad count, and a breakdown of the junk items to show the ratio of good to bad that comes with the territory. It was a great season for me and I look forward to shifting gears and doing the battlefield hunting and maybe some cellar hole hunting if I get a chance. And since I have neglected my other hobbies, maybe doing some of those until Labor Day.  Most of the gold was found because of the Equinox, probably 75-80% of it. Most of the silver was found with the GPX (at depth) probably 90% of it. Not a great comparison since I have found most of that gold in 8 visits and the silver was found with about 28 visits and I was specifically looking for deep silver, so I did not use the Equinox for that, mainly due to the fact that it was busy finding gold  Seriously, I was too inexperienced to get that kind of depth out of the Equinox, as most of that silver was in the 14" deep range, basically sitting on a clay layer with the sand above it containing small wisps of very fine black sand.  But that combination worked well for me and I'll probably stick with it for a while.

• By phrunt
      Has anyone had any experience with these things? 

Electromagnetic and magnetic interferences could be extremely annoying when you are looking for that hard to find gold nugget. Most of the noise is picked up by the search coil but a significant level of noise is being picked up as well by the sensitive electronics inside the control box.
      The control box is made of aluminium therefore the magnetic field easily penetrates it.
      To prove that, approach a magnet to the right side of your detector when switched on. 
      Millions of less obvious noise signals are interfering with your detector.  
      We have developed this Shield from the best quality material primarily used in sensitive 
      medical and scientific electronics. After years of studying and testing different materials we have found this one ticks all the boxes. 
      I have revisited the places where I've previously cleaned up and found more gold after installing the shield.
      It is 0.35 mm thick, held firmly around your control box by the armrest and  the new improved version with dual layer shielding on the right side is only 175 g!
      We have tested it on the GPX 5000 with amazing results such as quieter threshold, better GB, resulting in slightly increased depth.
      The shield allows you to increase the Rx gain by a notch or two without compromising the threshold. Use Inverted Response when hunting for big deep nuggets. 
      https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MAGNETIC-INTERFERENCE-REDUCER-SHIELD-FOR-MINELAB-GOLD-DETECTORS/232594646908?hash=item3627b8a77c:g:8lEAAOSwYGFU0bvu
      I noticed it on Ebay today while I was looking for a cover for my GPX.
      I have noticed I've been able to quieten down my GPX by opening the control box up and scraping some paint away where the shielding touches the casing, on one end they had scraped away paint from one screw point during production, and the other end had no paint scraped away at all by the factory so it's sheilding was basically useless.  By scraping paint away from a few areas on each end of the detector I was able to give the GPX a bit of a noticable quieten down.  I am sure on later models Minelab would of scraped away more paint but as mine is a very early model made in Australia version this wasn't done.

• By phrunt
      So now I've got a Gpx 4500 my phobia of headphones is really getting to me, I hate the things.  
      I want to hook up an external speaker to it, I have tried an external speaker I had laying around and unfortunately the amp on the battery doesn't kick in using it so I assume its to do with it having a stereo plug on it.  
      Kiwijw mentioned he thinks you need a mono plug for the amp to kick in, if this is the case I'll just cut the end off and add a mono plug but I wanted to be sure before doing this that's what kicks the amp in.
      I've also ordered what seems to be the popular speaker for the 4500

However it comes with a 3.5mm mono plug, so I'd need to change that to a 6.5mm plug (1/4")
      The problem I see is they're being advertised for GPX detectors looking like this

So they've put a stereo plug on that one, and advertising it for GPX 4500's
      Would that not mean the amp won't kick in and you'd need a booster? 
      Does anyone know for certain what makes the batteries amp kick in? 
      Even JP sells his one with the stereo plug, I'm puzzled
      https://outbackprospector.com.au/jonathan-porter-gold-prospecting-external-speaker/
      Thanks

• By kiwijw
      Hi guys, I have been sending on to Simon (phrunt) some old video footage I took to show him the sensitivity & depth of the 4500 on pretty small gold. using the Minelab 11" Commander Mono coil. That coil found me a lot of gold, small gold. All these clips were taken on the same detecting mission & were pretty much one after the other. The day was windy, as you will see, & it was before my days of using a scoop to retrieve targets. Consequently I got the dropsy's & made a meal of the recovery in the first vid. Hence it dragging on far longer than it should have. Sorry about that. The reason why I never made it public back in the day. I could have edited it but didn't. Just the raw footage. Hope you enjoy. Cheers.
      Video # 1

Video # 2

Video # 3
       There are more that I will add later. Cheers
      Good luck out there
      JW
    • By phrunt
      I have stumbled across an opportunity to buy an old GPX4500, it's one that was made in Australia.
      There seems to be conflicting opinions of if the new or old one is better, I have read the new one has a gpx 5000 guts in it with things disabled so it runs smoother and ground balances better in hot ground but then others saying they would rather chop off their arm with a toothpick than give up their old GPX4500 for a new one as the old one punches deeper on bigger gold and runs hotter.
      It seems most people think the new one is better, would I be right in thinking this? 
      I've decided I'll get one either way, be it new or this older one.
      Thanks

• By Sourdoughmoe
      Is it  normal to see bareley visable symbals at the top of the lcd screen looks like cell and battery markings??