Testing Gpx 4500 Tracking Button

I bought a used Gpx 4500 with a 14x9 NuggetFinder coil. I was able to take it out gold hunting yesterday. I was unable to find gold, but was able to find lead at surprising depths. I also found an fragment of paper thin metal about the size of a marker tip @4”. The detector worked really well until the end of the day. It seemed that I was unable to ground balance in fixed mode and or tracking mode. I reset all the settings to FP and retuned. I still felt that the detector wouldn’t ground balance. Is the green ‘ground balance’ track button a simple’ switch that can be tested with a volt meter?  Or is there a way to test the button?

could it be an increase in interference/EMI? later in the day causing the instability, i know over here often people complain that they seem to run really smoothly in the earlier hours of the day and then can have issues as it warms up or the EMI increases, obviously depends on where you are detecting, i wouldn't imagine heat would be an issue in California at this time of year, just another thought as you mentioned that it was running fine earlier in the day.

Try toggling from fixed to tracking using the switch on the front panel, then pump the coil and see if it will ground balance. If it does, there may be something wrong with the green button. If it doesn’t ground balance, my guess is the timing you are using isn’t able to handle the ground.

• Like 2

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try some more settings on my next outing. I was experimenting with settings during my last outing and may have found one that didn’t work well with the ground. I hope to go out Wednesday.