To Seal The Coil Cover Or Not…

I am soliciting suggestions on

A. whether to seal the coil cover on the 800,

and B. if yes, what shall I use.

This is the amount of sand in the coil after an hour at the beach. It is like this each time I go and I don't mind cleaning it out

but I'm wondering if this is the way to go or not. 

sand.jpg

I don’t have my equinox yet. I wouldn’t seal the coil cover on. If you did seal it on and wanted to remove it later it might be a issue. Further, if you were not able to seal it completely you might end up with sand  or water partially ‘sealed’ between the coil and cover. I have seen coil cover tape that might help keep sand and dirt out. 

• Like 1

I also do not plan on sealing my 800 coil.  I've hunted around rocks at beaches without a coil cover on my ATPro and ended up chipping the edges of the coil.  I've also hunted with the coil cover on and had some minor cracks to the coil cover - low cost replacement compared to replacing a leaking coil.  Sealing the coil would make replacing it if it is damaged more of a chore.  I've seen suggestions of putting marine epoxy on the bottom of the coil to prevent wear.  While this may protect the coil's bottom surface it probably won't save the edges from dings.  It will also probably prevent proper reinstallation of the coil cover again.  I hunt beaches (salt & fresh) as well as land and prefer to use the coil cover for both.  FWIW, when hunting in salt water I take the shaft pieces apart and thoroughly wash all the pieces so taking the coil cover off to remove a little sand is a minor inconvenience.

TedinVT I wasn't talking about sealing the coil itself, rather I was saying shall I seal the coil cover to the coil? Anyway thanks for the comment.

I understood your question flak.  I know some people have run a bead of silicone caulk around the top of the coil cover where it meets the coil.  That's what I was referring to in my comment.  I should have stated that more clearly in my comment. Sorry for any confusion.

No worries, I should have gotten what you ment, but I wanted to be sure. Thanks!

I have sealed coil covers on with silicon like you use for window caulking.  It remains removable if you make an effort to get it off.

One way to seal is just around the edges with a little bead and then use your finger with or without a glove to make sure you get it into the cracks.  The Equinox cover has a lot of edges so it would be time consuming.

I will probably seal my Equinox with the silicon but I will put it completely over the surface of the cover and then fit the coil into it and then wipe away the excess.  I took the covers off my CTX coils and think they will last because I don't ground them or bump them often.  In the case of the Equinox coil I feel like I want to protect it a little bit more from the surface elements and I will be using it in the desert also.

Mitchel

• Like 2

It appears to be made like the CTX.  Those cross overs act like rudders and really create drag as well.  They stretch...and lift the inside if the cover so I dont think it will work.  My suggestion on this one is use loctite marine epoxy on it and get rid of the cover.  Dont have that 1/4" with air space, black sand, or drag.

4414,  would that void the warranty ??:unsure: