XP Deus Vs Minelab Equinox Vs Makro Kruzer

Hi! Help determine whether it is worth buying this metal detector? It is difficult to determine because it is not cheap. Previously, I wanted to buy an XP Deus 22 or another new cool metal detector Makro Multi Kruzer. Found on the Internet comparison Minelab Equinox 800 vs Makro Multi Kruzer. Now I do not know which of the three detectors to choose :) Does someone already have experience of using them?

First off. Welcome to the Forum, Andrew!

You came to the perfect place to ask your question.

Funny you say it is not cheap yet you mention Deus in the next breath :wink: which costs a cool $600 US more than the Equinox 800. Not cheap, yes (what metal detector worth its salt is) but it is a tremendous bang for your buck with Mult IQ.

What is the advantage of that?  Well different types of targets respond better (i.e., are easier to detect) at different frequencies.  Silver and big targets tend to respond better at the lower frequencies.  Gold and tiny objects tend to respond better at the higher frequencies.  That is why the Multi- Kruzer and Deus have different frequencies you can select one at a time (hence the Multi in Multi Kruzer and the "us" in Deus, ok JK about that last one :smile:).  So you can focus on one type of target (e.g., silver coins) in one detecting session, then another type in a separate detecting session (e.g., gold jewelry) by individually selecting a different frequency.

Now imagine being able to operate the Multi-Kruzer at all its available frequencies at once and then add two more frequencies, that is what the Equinox 600 can do.  It enables you to focus on silver, gold, big, small and everything in between all at once.  Marry the Multi Kruzer with the Gold Kruzer and you have the Equinox 800 and you can add gold nuggets to your detecting fun.

Beside light weight and wireless technology, the Deus is known for its speed, i.e., ability to discern two targets lying next to each other (e.g., a nail and coin).  Slower detectors might only "see" the much easier to detect but junk nail.  Well in practice, both Equinox models have proven themselves to be about as fast as Deus with wireless audio and only weighing about a pound more than Deus.  As a Deus user for several years without encountering a detector as fast during that time, the Equinox performance astounded me.

So now if you can imagine the Equinox as taking the best of the Deus, Multi Kruzer and Gold Kruzer you can start to understand the power of the Equinox 800.  

Still think it's not cheap? Well they aren't cheap, but either the 600 or 800 are tremendous values.

Read this comparison between the two to see which is right for you.

Be warned, though. Thousands of experienced and inexperienced detectorists have already figured out the value of Equinox, so you will really have to shop around to find someone who has one in stock.

Pic of my first keeper beach find below (third target ever detected on the beach) with the Equinox 800. Yeah, that's gold.

Good luck in your metal detector quest whatever you decide.

HTH.

20180310_134719.jpg

• Like 5

First off I'm a White's guy.... Been running White's machines since the early 70's.

Now with that said if I were you I think I would go with the E-800.

From the user input I have read so far it is gonna be a tough machine to beat especially considering your other two choices.

If I were able to get out more than I do and I was looking at another machine the E-800 would be very high on a very short list.

Guest Tnsharpshooter

Andrew.

I have Equinox 800, and Deus, I have not ran Kruzer unit.

Comparing Deus and Equinox.

Equinox easier to learn.  Will get you hunting at rather high proficiency level faster.

About all I can say.

I hunt both on land and at salt water beaches.  I own the Deus, have tested the Kruzer on land and at a salt water beach and extensively researched the Equinox 800.  My personal conclusions in order of preference:

1. Equinox 800: Best on both land and beach.  Waterproof and extremely sensitive to small targets, proven Minelab technology

2. XP Deus:  Lighter but more complex than the Equinox and the control box isn't waterproof, 5 year warranty

3. Macro Kruzer:  A distant third place; performed much better on a salt water beach than on land...which was surprising

I will soon be selling my Deus and Excalibur II, keeping my CTX 3030 and Equinox 800 for all my hunting.

Just the view from my personal foxhole...

So what type of detecting is important to you Andrew87? Is it important the detector be waterproof? Is saltwater performance important? Are you mostly chasing silver or mostly chasing gold? Coins or relics? Is accurate target id in parks important?

What are you looking for in a detector?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Sorry to dredge up an older post but I just had a far more productive day swinging the Deus on the dry and wet sand than the two previous sessions with my 600 and 800 equinox detectors.

The Deus handled the trash much better than the Nox. I went by the tones only using the HF Elliptical Coil. Go figure?

• Like 2

That is interesting. Some detectorists have come down with Equinox derangement syndrome, much to their detriment I think (hint,hint,Strick. LOL). That elliptical coil on the Deus is deadly in pitch mode in relic scenarios.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, BeachHunter said:

Sorry to dredge up an older post but I just had a far more productive day swinging the Deus on the dry and wet sand than the two previous sessions with my 600 and 800 equinox detectors.

The Deus handled the trash much better than the Nox. I went by the tones only using the HF Elliptical Coil. Go figure?

The only thing that surprises me about the above is the wet salt sand part.  Deus chatters like two gossips at a church picnic in the wet sand for me and the Equinox blows it away there because I have to turn sense down so far on the Deus.  But everywhere else, Deus can go toe to toe with the Equinox with the edge to Deus in thick iron.  I go with the hot hand relic hunting.  If I feel either is not cutting the mustard, I have no qualms switching off.  Lately, Deus has had the upper hand relic hunting.  Next time it could be Equinox.  Who knows. They’re both great machines.

• Like 2

Should not surprise, the Deus is a great machine. At the end of the day there are dozens of machines I can use and do well with. Not one of them finds anything... I put the coil over the targets. I’m the one succeeding, not the metal detector. I proved that to myself countless times and I think it’s true of all the better detectorists. To the point where I think I will stop mentioning detectors when I post finds. It’s time we take the credit for our finds and quit giving the credit to the detector! :smile:

• Like 6