Eq800 Relic Hunt - Couple Of ID Assists ?

Finally got a break in the rain in not so sunny Sunnyvale, and got an invite from some detecting buddies to go explore some outback sites.  First site they'd already located an old homestead but were searching for two more.  After a brutal (for me) hike up a mountain, we didn't find the homestead that was supposed to be up there, but the view was spectacular, so still worth the effort.  Did a total of a solid 8 hours of detecting at various spots, and lots of hiking around. 

I had to dig all of this:

IMG_8008.thumb.JPG.5b6b8c68b0f134f0cf2e52d022fefe87.JPG

To get this:

IMG_8017.thumb.JPG.ed1e771df8c616878d0b4ed79120a2cf.JPG

We hiked back down to the site that they'd already found and after hours of finding nothing but bullets, and shotgun butts, I finally got my coil over some keepers.  First was a well worn 1886 V nickle, it was so worn that I initially thought it was a token, then a shield nickle, but then in the sun I could see the V.  Just a few feet away from that I got the badge looking thing, no idea what it is, looks like a Navy or Marines insignia, anyone have any ideas?

IMG_8010.thumb.JPG.8e342f8c4a2cf0651e822da0a1647db9.JPG

IMG_8011.thumb.JPG.c79750ef7bf6a642b205c7e5b3b62da4.JPG

Also got a Southern Pacific RR seal:

IMG_8016.thumb.JPG.a8d6ceb8d5600138f77dd645d526811c.JPG

And a couple of buckles:

IMG_8014.thumb.JPG.b32c797854789cb7e9f666264be2ed5c.JPG

IMG_8015.thumb.JPG.79ed6d005dcabae954fff4dbb7d79c22.JPG

We went to a second site, it was purportedly an old picnic grove.  The day before a 1907 $10 gold eagle was dug there, and numerous other coins over the years have been dug there, from reales, seateds to barbers, one guy got a V nickle, the other guy got a toasty IHP and I got the buckle above there, it's marked PAT. MAY 2,1990. The oddball looking buckle looking thingy above it is marked PAT DEC 21, 86.

I've never dug so many beer cans, I stopped counting at a case :wacko:   I ran the EQ800 in Field2, noise cancel, GB, SENS between 21-23, everything else default.  Didn't seem like I dug any more iron then any other machine, got a couple of nails, and a couple of BIG pieces of iron. 

If anyone has any idea what that badge looking item with the anchor on it is, I'd appreciate it.

HH,
Brian

• Like 4

Nice bunch of stuff there...the badge is really cool..I love digging stuff like that. The insignia looks navy like some of the navy buttons I see. I'd say your learning that machine. 

strick 

Thanks strict!  I'm slowly learning this beast, I'm still in dig-it-all mode trying to learn what it's audio language is telling me, and what it's strengths and weaknesses are. 

I'll likely play around with the speed settings a bit this weekend. 

That is some work Cal!  a few finds like that badge makes all that work worthwhile.  Nice hunt!  Tim.