Questions About The Goldmonster 1000 From A Newbie

Vince

Hello everyone
I am french so excuse my bad english
:unsure:

I am a goldpanning addict and I have never used a detector before...
However I am interested in goldmonster 1000 but I have some questions, despite reading various topics on the forum, it's not totally clear for me. It seems that there is not a lot of GM 1000 users in France ! Almost nobody is looking for gold with a detector here, it's not Australia or California
:biggrin: But i know some areas with 0.1 to 2 or 3 gr nuggets on the bedrock and i want to test it with a metal detector.

Do you think goldmonster works properly to search for gold in a stream (river), to examine the bedrock underwater ? I know that the coil is waterproof but the detection capacity is it good underwater? And in the wet gravels on the banks of the river ?

In attachment, show you my biggest nugget (2.7 gr) and some "big" pieces of gold i have found (i think GM 1000 is able to find this type of gold).

Thanks for your advices !

Vince

IMG_20170910_185000838.jpg

IMG_20160812_200421915.jpg

2015-10-17 orpaillage .jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vince said:

Do you think goldmonster works properly to search for gold in a stream (river), to examine the bedrock underwater ? I know that the coil is waterproof but the detection capacity is it good underwater? And in the wet gravels on the banks of the river ?

First off, welcome to the forum Vince!  I'm sure you'll find the answers you are looking for from the many friendly members here.

That is some nice gold you're finding.  :smile:

I don't own a Goldmonster, but those who do will surely offer assistance. If you search for Goldmonster in the search box, a bunch of threads will display past conversations about these topics you asked about.  I do know you can search in the water with this machine, so YES is the simple answer. However, how deep the waterproofing is effective, I don't know.  I'm sure others will offer more help.

Is that gold from the Pyrenees?

Did the Romans get most of the gold, and that is why few look with detectors today?

Thanks for your welcome and your answers ;)

For gold in France you're right : gold (big gold) was probably very abundant in France but ... it's been more than 2500 years that it is collected. 2500 years ago, France was probably as rich as California in the 19th century but the Celts and Romans, in particular, have probably picked up a large part of the nuggets... At the time of the Roman invasion, France was famous for its gold, it was nicknamed "Gallia aurifera" by the Romans.

But there is still gold in our rivers. 5 years ago it was discovered a nugget of more than 200 gr :blink: but the secret was well kept.

Personally I prospect in the South of France, in the Cevennes mountains, the mountains located between the Pyrenees and the Alps.

I found how to search messages with "tags" in the forum, I will continue to read all that stuff :)

When you speak about "hot rocks" do you speak about hematite ?
Does this kind of stone make a detector react ? In some places they are very abundant here.

IMG_20180204_164506241.jpg

• Like 3

On 4/1/2018 at 4:33 AM, Vince said:

When you speak about "hot rocks" do you speak about hematite ? Does this kind of stone make a detector react ? In some places they are very abundant here.

When I think of "hot rocks" I think about the other iron oxides more than hematite (Fe2O3),  its cousin magnetite (Fe3O4) or its brother Maghemite (a more complex "hybrid" chemical/crystal structure) which is apparently quite common in Australia.  I think Steve H posted a great thread about this issue recently, but I don't recall the thread title.  All of these iron minerals can make rocks that contain them "hot", but I don't think hematite (rust) is as strong as these others.  Just the name MAGNETite lets you know its strong magnetic nature. It is the major component of most magnetic black sands.

The bedrock in your pic looks like some form of limestone... those are some very nice gold catches in the pockets!

• Like 1

Thanks Phrunt for your feedback. I'd read some of your topics about your goldmonster experience : it seems to be a very good detector.

MarXthespot :  the place I showed in photo is indeed full of cracks and small potholes, perfects gold catches, but not "big" gold here :)  black rocks in the holes are hematites, there is not magnetite in this area.

In my area there are also areas with schist bedrock, where we find the bigger gold.

Thanks for your answers !

• 2 weeks later...

Vince, that is some very nice gold and the Goldmonster 1000 is amazing at finding small gold nuggets exactly like the pics  you showed all of us. It is easy to use and learn. The coil is waterproof, at least the 5 inch coil is for sure.  the control box is not. That bedrock is outstanding for trapping gold. What exactly is the meaning of Gallia Aurifera? You have me completely intrigued  with gold from France. I had no idea France  was so rich in gold. Here are some nuggets I found with my Gold monster 1000.

20170820_183122.jpg

0917171740f_Burst01.jpg

20170611_212622.jpg

• Like 3

"Awesome Picture of Awesome Bedrock" just Gorgeous"Vince i Know Your in Heaven' ? :biggrin:Cheers, Ig

• Like 1

Goldseeker4000 : beautiful gold ! Thanks for your tips about the GM1000.

"Gallia aurifera" is ancient Latin language :

- Gallia is the antic name of France, before the roman invasions ("la Gaule" in french)

- aurifera : because of the country's reputation, a country "full of gold"...

There are several ancient texts (Greek and Roman authors)  which describe France as the country of Europe richest in gold, the Celtic tribes were covered with gold jewels. Gold picked up in the country's rivers. The gold richness of the country was one of the main reasons for the Roman invasions.

This is unfortunately why we find less gold today, and almost no nuggets> 5 gr : the Celts and Romans, then the French of the Middle Ages, have collected "all the big gold", the country is small and every stream has been prospected for more than 2000 years.

Idahogold : for sure, this bedrock is a good spot. I've found a 0.2 gr nugget recently here (gold panning, i don't have a detector yet :sleep: )

Was there any more modern day gold rushes in france in the 1850s or thereabouts, do you know the methods that were used to mine the gold by the romans and celtics. If there hasnt been much modern prospecting done there you might be surprised at what may still be found. A lot of knowledge about how and where gold occurs and how it moves has been gained in the last 150 years or so which may have been lacking for the earlier miners. Even though you have had 2000+ years of gold mining it was likely not very efficient and using modern techniques such as detecting may open up some great possibilities

• 3 weeks later...

We still find loads of gold here in Aus around old timer diggings, these old timers were very thorough at getting the gold, but they did miss quite a bit.

I am sure the Romans left plenty for you to find with a Monster and if you are finding new flood gold there is still a source shedding gold somewhere upstream.

Good luck!