Counter Weight

My idea of a counter weight for the EQ.  I took an Xcal main pod and cut it down from one Joe (ole beach nut) had sent me.  Used a plunger lock and a small lower shaft piece.  It can extend another 4" or so.  Pardon the sloppiness..... i just wanted to throw it together.   It does make a difference with the nose being a little off balance...... but lets face it this is one light machine .... however, when the big coil comes out....... here ya go.

20180330_135657.jpg

• Like 2

Looks good even if it is rough! I don’t need anything like this for the stock coil but will for the 15” x 12” coil for sure so I will have to get to work on something similar. No rush though as it looks like June for the 6” coil and that probably means even longer for the large coil.

Yes Steve that was a pretty ugly tube lol.  I cleaned it up since...... and i have to say even on the standard coil you would be surprised the difference in how it swings.   Ya..... thats sure a slow boat from China on the accessories.  The standard coil moves really well in the water.  we might just be able to move that big one in the water as well.

• Like 2

Steve

I hope you’re right on  the 6” coil coming in June and please to the powers that be let it be concentric. If they want to make one double D and the other concentric you have my vote. Not you were asking for it.

Chuck

It was announced ages ago it’s a 6” DD coil Chuck so no idea why you thought it might be a concentric. It most surely will not be. After that will be the 15” x 12” DD. There are no announced plans for anything beyond that at this time. I don’t know that a concentric is impossible but I will be pushing hard to make sure a 6” x 10” nugget coil comes after the 15” x 12” DD so your concentric will have to be after that! :smile:

No more stuff on coils here - there is a 6” coil thread here. Let’s keep this thread on counterweights.

1 hour ago, dewcon4414 said:

Yes Steve that was a pretty ugly tube lol.  I cleaned it up since...... and i have to say even on the standard coil you would be surprised the difference in how it swings.   Ya..... thats sure a slow boat from China on the accessories.  The standard coil moves really well in the water.  we might just be able to move that big one in the water as well.

Thanks for mentioning about the coil moving well in the water.  I was a bit worried about that aspect.

Tom

Used the same system on my 705 for a while. The tube sliding in and out means you can really fine tune your setup. Since them I’ve gone the bicycle drink bottle strapped under the armcup system.

All a matter of preference, us beach hunters with the Excals have been debating the behind elbow versus under the elbow mount for ages :-)

A rule of thumb for however you set it up, actually a rule of fingers. I grab the handle with my index finger and middle finger, close my thumb around the handle. And the armcup should naturally come to rest against your arm. Slightly nose heavy.

For me getting the ergonomics wright is the first thing I do.

• Like 2

I have only waded once with the 800 so far. I thought it was very easy to swing at wading depths. But I have been swinging an ATX in the water the last few years so am not the best judge on that.

I have seen one guy on TreasureNet relentlessly ripping the Equinox as having horrible ergonomics and how Minelab should be embarrassed. I have to say that’s just nuts. I have swung a lot of detectors, and while Equinox is not perfect when it comes to ergonomics it would easily rate in the top few percent of all detectors I have used ever. Sure the thing is a little nose heavy but frankly almost all detectors are, and in the case of Equinox it sure is minimal. In fact it for me is just right as it makes it very easy for me to swing without an arm strap since my elbow stays firmly in the arm cup. 

One of the attractive features of the Nox's for me is weight. They are more than 1.5lbs lighter than the GTI 2500 I've been swinging, and miserably.

The last thing I would want to do is ADD weight to the Nox. I'll shorten the stem and swing closer to my feet if necessary, but that loss of weight will allow for much longer hunting days without pain or stress on my arm.

A counter balance you can move makes a difference.   Out of the water is where you really need it..... in the water not so much.  Steve i can tell you the coils stays down well..... it goes where you want it to so coil control alone is going to REALLY improve over the CTX.   That baby swings like you dragging a dead horse.... and the cover cross overs catches a lot of water.  In deep water .... the battery causes more movement if there are any waves.  You just get a lot of coil FLIP causing you to miss a lot more targets.   He should have been complaining about that.   There are always going to be people with complaints.   What did he expect..... you put a coil on any stick its going to be nose heavy.   Some people ... IE me like to have a LONG shaft.... so ya that changes things to.... shorten your shaft and everything changes.   As far as the Xcal.... best way ive found is put the pods 4" behind the cuff.   IMO...... this machine isnt as refined as someone put it as the CTX..... but its going to catch on IN the water for a whole lot of reasons.

• Like 1