Depth On 600 And 800

Hey guys sorry if this question is talked about in other posts but now that theres a good amount of you all using yer equinoxs id like some feed back on depth of the two machines, info that ive been reading is 50/50 its not a deep machine and it is a deep machine, doesnt make me alot of difference either wY but what are yer experiences so far?

Hey Fish,

Depth is a subjective term.  My take on Equinox depth is...  a qualified yes.  It depends on how you define depth. 

It can be deep in total inches from the coil to an air target if you want it to be... simply lower the recovery speed to 1 and boost the sensitivity to 25, and you can hit a 12" dime. 

But the subjectivity comes when you are working in the numerous variables we all face in the ground.  From mineralization, to iron, to non-ferrous trash, to desirable conductive targets.  So how "deep" is a machine that can only recover a desirable target between trash targets no less than 6 inches apart?  Steve H. has posted several times about this.  And I agree with him.  The Equinox's speed lets it go deeper than other slower machines that are blocked by shallow ground undesirables that mask desirable targets. 

From a sheer depth standpoint, in pristine ground... is the Equinox the deepest?  no.  But can it be set up to be deep enough?  IMHO.. Yes.  But to me the power of this machine is the ability to weave its way around masking and find good targets due to it's speed.  Yes, the faster recovery limits depth... but that just means you can hunt the same location several times with the same machine... it truly is several machines under one hood. 

Those are my thoughts. 

Tim.

• Like 2

Pulled a dime 11" down yesterday with no experience on the 600 (First outing). Deep enough?

It’s not nearly as deep as my GPZ 7000 or any of the GPX detector’s I have used. VLF detectors are all second tier performers when it comes to depth, and if depth is all that matters there are far better options. In my opinion depth maxed on VLF detectors over twenty years ago, and nothing about Equinox changes that opinion.

VLF Detector & Depth

Thank u guys tim as always, steve, i was just curious as an in general the type of depth users where getting depending on alot of different factors.also elf thanks.

Also guys 8 est. this  Thursday night on relics radio with diggin with seven, and heath jones from treasure mountain detectors will be talking about the equinox exclusively the show usually lasts an hour plus so should be a fun listen.

It is pulling targets as deep as my CTX did.  Plus it takes some homework and fieldwork to set it up right for your conditions.  I chuckle when I see people crank up the sensitivity and complain they arent getting targets deeper than 6".  Well 25 sensitivity might be like turning your high beams in the fog and result in getting blinded by shallow garbage.  My third minelab 6 previous seasons with them and they have ALWAYS had a learning curve.  If this is your first minelab, congrats on your new purchase!  Happy hunting and good luck!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vez said:

It is pulling targets as deep as my CTX did.  Plus it takes some homework and fieldwork to set it up right for your conditions.  I chuckle when I see people crank up the sensitivity and complain they arent getting targets deeper than 6".  Well 25 sensitivity might be like turning your high beams in the fog and result in getting blinded by shallow garbage.  My third minelab 6 previous seasons with them and they have ALWAYS had a learning curve.  If this is your first minelab, congrats on your new purchase!  Happy hunting and good luck!

What sensitivity range have you found to be helping you with depth in your Ohio soil?

Well that depends greatly on the soil saturation, ferrous trash, and if i have high organic material or high mineral content.  16 was hitting wheats at 7-8" on a farm with high organic content, high fe trash density, and high water saturation.   When it dries out i will likely have to bump it up.  I have yet to take it to one of my favorite parks, but in order to learn i will probably find a target that i like with my ctx and mess with settings on the 800.  This way i am confident in my settings using a target in situ to set them up.

Much as with other settings on detectors; sensitivity is difficult to optimize.  It is relatively easy to know when it is way too high.  But if the audio is not giving you a clue that you are too high, how is one to know whether they have it set too high or too low.

The high beams in the fog is nice analogy except for one key difference.  When you turn off the high beams you can immediately see the difference and know that the change you made is helping.  When one lowers sensitivity on a machine that is already running quietly how do you know that the change is going to truly help with the wide variety of targets, depths and orientations.

Taking a CTX to a site to help determine some level of optimization is not a realistic approach for most to help dial in this setting. 

This uncertainty is IMO why so many run as high as possible without obvious audio feedback.  What other feedback loop is there to guide their setting?

• Like 1