I used a 5000 on the beach in Southern California for almost 2 years before I got an SE Pro.  The 5000 couldn't find small chains.  I paid for it with gold I found in the desert.  I paid for the SE Pro and CTX many times over from the beaches.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

It's funny. The Equinox reminds me of an Etrac/GPX 5000 hybrid machine. It picks up small stuff like my GPX but has kind of an older Minelab multi frequency feel. Here's some of the small stuff it found at the beach that day. I had even smaller pieces but forgot to photograph them. 

DSC00058.JPG

With all do respect.......I do not want to find the items in your picture. 

Dave

11 minutes ago, midalake said:

Dave

When you are digging everything to see what a machine can do then you dig everything.  After a period of time you decide not to dig such things and you setup the machine in a different way.  The Nox is an international seller.  Some English and Canadian coins I find here are definitely in my 'trash zone.'  How can you not dig a bit of trash in the beginning?

• Like 1

School, now it's obvious why you have good finds. You work for it. A great example of hard work paying off.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, mn90403 said:

When you are digging everything to see what a machine can do then you dig everything.  After a period of time you decide not to dig such things and you setup the machine in a different way.  The Nox is an international seller.  Some English and Canadian coins I find here are definitely in my 'trash zone.'  How can you not dig a bit of trash in the beginning?

The picture below is from my hunt yesterday. I threw out the trash before your reply. The trash was minimal yesterday with a few small "hot" rusted iron objects, about 15 or so trash items in total. I understand about digging everything, as I use a Sovereign GT in all metal pinpoint mode. I get the fact that depth and sensitivity go hand-in-hand. But if the Nox is concentrating too much on small items at the beach this may actually be a drawback. So do not get mad at me but I would not rather see and dig little stuff...especially stuff that goes through my scoop holes.  By the way 367 pesos 151 coins in total and one lousy bracelet [no other jewelry].

DSC00740.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/6/2018 at 11:45 PM, mn90403 said:

Wow!  I am just about opposite you.  Relic hunting has to have the most trash of all metal detecting.  Beach trash can be seen with a CTX and you don't dig it.  Most trash is seen with a Nox and you dig some of it.  The two main culprits are caps and bobby pins.  You get some lead and other stuff but you also get the good stuff.  The best detectorists I know at the beach use PIs and they dig everything wet and dry but they know where to go and they would have it no other way because they go DEEP.

Mitchel

My Garrett Infinium has been replaced by my 800 as my beach hunting machine.  I never hit any targets that were just too deep to dig with my Infnium.  I usually hit 2 or 3 of those every hunt with my 800.  Maybe with the 800 VDI numbers I have a pretty good clue that some of those "too deep to dig" targets might be trash anyway. When I'm already a foot down and it's telling me "toasted zincoln", yeah, sometimes I do move on to the next target.  With the Infinium I just didn't know so I would dig halfway to China to find out.  I do know that my 800 is hitting more targets at the beach, trash and treasure, than my Infinium did.  Just my personal experience,  your results may vary.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, midalake said:

Dave

Me neither :laugh: But my approach to detecting is different now that I am getting a bit older. I never get enough exercise, so I decided I was going to dig more targets and not just cherry pick the good ones. I could easily discriminate out many of those targets, but then I limit my exercise. It actually feels good knowing I can still dig like that and function the next day, sort of :unsure:

• Like 2

16 hours ago, flakmagnet said:

School, now it's obvious why you have good finds. You work for it. A great example of hard work paying off.

Thank You. I actually look forward to doing it again this Wednesday. Some people pay money to go to a gym, I get quite a workout and get money in return. Sounds good to me :wink:

The picture below is from my hunt yesterday. I threw out the trash before your reply. The trash was minimal yesterday with a few small "hot" rusted iron objects, about 15 or so trash items in total. I understand about digging everything, as I use a Sovereign GT in all metal pinpoint mode. I get the fact that depth and sensitivity go hand-in-hand. But if the Nox is concentrating too much on small items at the beach this may actually be a drawback. So do not get mad at me but I would not rather see and dig little stuff...especially stuff that goes through my scoop holes.  By the way 367 pesos 151 coins in total and one lousy bracelet [no other jewelry].

DSC00740.jpg

Definitely do what ever you like to do. No one should get mad about someone else's way of detecting. I'm a firm believer that metal detecting is therapeutic and should not be a chore. Your finds prove that your way is best for you.  For me, I enjoy learning what each signal brings. Some of those deep faint blips are good targets, as are some of the tiny hits. In the end nothing I find gets wasted, since I scrap metal too :laugh:

• Like 4

23 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Here's the rest of the beach finds from that hunt

That sure is a motley collection of coins.  Is that typical of the condition coming out of salt water in your area?

In particular, though, I'm curious about the middle (I'm assuming copper row) Memorial.  The diameter is quite a bit smaller than its neighbors, but it isn't eaten up like a typical Zincoln.  Is this unusual?  What piques my curiosity is the possibility that it's a wrong planchet strike.  (For example, penny dies striking a dime planchet.)  Those are extremely rare and valuable (although as always, condition of dug coins can really hurt the value).