Best Day With The Equinox So Far...

steveg

Great hunt Steve!  Love the 1904 Indian Head part of the story..  It’s a real beauty and it was very nice of you to offer it to the owners.. 

Bryan

Thanks, Bryan!

They are really enjoying watching me have fun finding stuff, and they are really into the history of their home.  It was ironic that they happened to walk out right as I was digging that plug -- and then the first coin out being that 1904.  It meant a lot to them to have it, I could tell!  

Steve

• Like 3

Great hunt Steve, love the finds especially that Indian, what a coin! Most of all though, giving back to the home owners, what a way to seal a friendship and a permission. Hopefully they carry through with their idea of framing it for the home!  

Cliff

Great pulls and an awesome single hut.  Way to not forget the owners who are making it possible for you to have the opportunity.  I always try to make sure I retùrn the favor in some fashion for those who are gracious enough to give me hunt permissions. When you do that you are also helping promote the hobby and indirectly helping your fellow detectorists too.

Thanks guys!

A fun day, a good hunt, some good "reps" with the Equinox, as I was finally able to give it a chance to report on a nice variety of old coins, and -- I got to bring a smile to the kind folks allowing me to dig in their yard!  

Steve

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing an incredible hunt with us! Great finds and great story! What mode and settings on the Nox had you dialed in with? Thx. :-)

51 minutes ago, steveg said:

Thanks guys!

A fun day, a good hunt, some good "reps" with the Equinox, as I was finally able to give it a chance to report on a nice variety of old coins, and -- I got to bring a smile to the kind folks allowing me to dig in their yard!  

Steve

All my altruistic statements aside, glad you got to keep the 1864 fatty, though.  Up until last week, that was my oldest recovered coin and found it at a CW encampment site so it had a little extra backstory mystique.

Chase --  

Definitely some extra mystique with a coin found at a CW encampment...WOW.  That's some cool stuff, there!  I'd love to hunt a Civil War site...  

Peg -- 

Thanks for the kind words!

Auto ground balance set the GB at "21," I noise cancelled...and ended up at "20" on the sensitivity.  I generally like to run my sensitivity just one notch below wherever you begin to hear a little "chatter."  Today, at this site, 21 was that point where the beginnings of the chatter was heard, so I ran it at 20.  I ran in my "usual" tone setting -- 50 tones with nothing changed/tweaked; I had recovery speed at 5, and iron bias set at 2.  AND, I ran it in all-metal (no disc) via the "horseshoe" button.  I like hearing the iron "in the background."  I think it helps to know what's going on "under the coil."  

Steve

• Like 2

Now that's an epic hunt! Only thing missing was a silver quarter but I'm sure that's waiting for you on the next hunt. It's good to share with the homeowners a little of what we find. When I score a big permission I usually include a $25 dinner for two gift certificate at a local restaurant as a way of saying thanks. A little reciprocity goes a long way.