Surprised By The Amount Of Sand In The Coil Cover!

I had two beach days this week for about three hours each, and it looks like I took home more sand than treasure!

I pulled the cover of my coil for the first time today to clean, and was amazed at how much sand can creep into it while attached to the coil! Almost made the mistake of taking it off in the house. That would have required a cleanup.  The cover seems so tight, and yet sand finds its way. Wierd!

Seems me a coil cover is more of a nuisance. I think before you would wear out a coil a new and better detector will replace what you use now. I am just saying..

I am always amazed at how much sand the coil cover retains after a trip to the beach. It's almost as though it was designed to collect sand...(joke).

• Like 1

Unfortunately, all covers let the very, very fine sand in....they are COIL PROTECTORS and only sealing them keeps the sand out. One more reason why I hate open web coils...

I will no doubt be removing mine in the near future...

fred

4 hours ago, Norm S said:

Seems me a coil cover is more of a nuisance. I think before you would wear out a coil a new and better detector will replace what you use now. I am just saying..

Since I posted this in Equinox Fan Club forum, you can assume that this was an Equinox!  A 600 in this case, though it doesn't make a difference between the 600 and 800.  

Norm knows you have an Equinox, what he is saying is that the next gen Equinox Mark II will be on the street before you wear out the Equinox coil by running it without a cover.  Personally, I disagree with running without a cover plate because while it may not wear out the coil, it protects the bottom against bumps and scrapes which could damage the windings.  Periodically dumping the sand seems like a minor inconvenience compared to protecting the coil potting from inadvertent damage. JMHO.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Norm knows you have an Equinox, what he is saying is that the next gen Equinox Mark II will be on the street before you wear out the Equinox coil by running it without a cover.  Personally, I disagree with running without a cover plate because while it may not wear out the coil, it protects the bottom against bumps and scrapes which could damage the windings.  Periodically dumping the sand seems like a minor inconvenience compared to protecting the coil potting from inadvertent damage. JMHO.

I fully agree. Just surprised at the amount of sand that finds its way into the coil cover, as tight as it is on the coil!  Not a big deal. Just like weeds growing in a sidewalk. The slightest amount of dirt gives succor to them! LOL!

• Like 1

Yes the sand gets in all the grooves and holes under the coil and compacts in there.

I have taken to sticking duct tape or electrical tape over the holes in the bottom of the coil - then I put the coil cover back on.

It does keep at lot of the sand out but needs renewing after every 1 or 2 water hunts.

I may seal it permanently with something later on but I dont want to add too much weight

6 hours ago, SittingElf said:

I pulled the cover of my coil for the first time today to clean, and was amazed at how much sand can creep into it while attached to the coil!

Yes there is a fair bit hey, I just took mine apart and cleaned it all up from a small beach hunt yesterday. Got to admit I am pretty fussy when I clean my detectors they have a lovely bath in warm soapy water followed by a blow dry lol.