Mineralization

I would like to know what exactly is minerlaization,   What kind of minerals? are they all iron based or mafic?  what about  other things?   I am considering the purchase of my first  detector and looking at a used  xterra 705.  I know that  VLF are limited in heavy minerlized soils/Rocks  so I am trying to find wha th elimits of this detector would be.  I plan mainly to hunt for gold nuggets > while I would like a  PI I don't see any that re reasonably priced for a first detector.   What thoughts do you have?

If you search for MINERALIZATION you will find many posts about it....a used xterra-705 with the gold coil is a pretty good start for nugget hunting...

Iron is the worst mineral affecting detectors ( I think) but there are hot and cold rocks that mess with you too...I doubt there is anywhere in the western states that lacks mineralization...at least any where I have been.

Steve or Chris Ralph could be much more informative than me.

fred

Well, I dug some sub-gram nuggets with my x-70 and I know the 705 is a better detector...

I have used the Monster and it is very, very good at finding gold...but, not really available used. Nor is it a very good multi-purpose machine. If I were buying a new detector for nugget hunting it would be the Monster

There are used whites and fisher models that can be had for a few hundred bucks....read Steve's recommendations and then shop used based on what you want to do...

like most of us you will have to balance desire, economics and use to find your first detector.

fred

• Like 2

If you go with the 705 you most definitely need to get the 6" DD HF coil and the 15" DD HF these two coils are absolutely essential for gold nuggets. The Xterra705 is very good for tailing piles with the 15 coil. I will be using my 705 this weekend on tailing piles from a dredge and some piles on a hydraulic dig. I will grid off a section at a time with surveyors twine  to make sure I cover the ground thoroughly with sensitivity reduced to where it is quiet with no ground chatter. I want to be able to hear the faintest real target signal. After this is complete  I will research the area with the sensitivity set to max of 30 for the depth and listen for the very distinct target signals through the chatter. These signals should be always repeatable no matter which direction you swing the coil over them.

• Like 1

This post I made on Ground Balance Numbers As An Indicator Of Mineralization will probably tell you more than you need about what mineralization is all about. As regards metal detectors, mineralization is any naturally occurring mineralization in the ground that interferes with a metal detectors ability to operate. This most commonly means magnetic ground minerals such as magnetite and maghemite and possibly also alkali salt mineralization. VLF detectors are more prone to negative effects of mineralization, with pulse induction (PI) detectors better able to tune out and ignore mineralization.

• Thanks 3

If you are new to the hobby the 70 or the 705 are fantastic detectors. I found my first gold nugget with a 70 and they can still hold their own to this day against any of the other mid-frequency VLF's. You've been given a lot of advice here, if there's one thing I would add, it would be: Pick one detector and stick with it! 

The guy with an older model detector, who knows it well, will do just as good if not better than the guy that has a 'flock,' of metal detectors, none of which he has put enough hours on to truly learn there nuances. It takes a lot of time on a machine before you develop a connection to each and every quirk, sound, breach in threshold, etc. It's very easy in this hobby, as in any, to get caught up in having the latest-and-greatest equipment - try and resist the urge. 

• Like 3

I have decided to purchase the 705. For the money  I don't think it can be beat. It sounds like it will work with an dallow me learn more as I get better.  I probably could have  gone for a PI but  they are 2 to 4 xs more and my wifes transmission just went out.  That is where the real gold is.

• Like 1