Three Rusty Bottle Caps And A $500 Silver, Gold And Diamond Ring!

Amazingly I had a similar but not exact situation happen yesterday while hunting an old park (loaded with modern pull tabs) with my two hunting buddies.  I had dug several old, flat bottle caps (ID came in the 30's) and many twist off bottle caps (ID 20-22) while hunting deeper targets.  I was purposely running field 1 with no discrimination, 50 tones, recovery 7 and listening for the hint of a higher tone than the normal tone of 20-22 because this area had yielded many Barbers, Indians and Mercs in the past. My first slightly higher tone was so well mixed I almost walked away, the Id floated between 20 and 23 but the 23 caught my attention so I decided to dig and at less than 5" and laying vertical beside a huge rock was a 1936 wheat penny.  My next target was completely different in that it had solid ID's 18-19 with associated tones but just the hint of a higher tone in the mix.  This target ended up being a 1919 wheat penny. 

I might add, even though I've got some time on this machine, I'm not an expert by any means but the audio characteristics are coming with use.  Audio first, ID second..........

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark Gillespie said:

My next target was completely different in that it had solid ID's 18-19 with associated tones but just the hint of a higher tone in the mix.  This target ended up being a 1919 wheat penny. 

Hello Mark, I have heard reference to this high tone filtering through with out VID # to correspond, this is what you/others mean right?

My X-terra 705 seems to directly connect the tone to the VID # so this does not happen or I have not been able to "hear" it with the 705 even using what they call 99 tones.

Any 705 users hear high tones without VDI #s, maybe I need better headphones?

Doug

WOW!  What a SUPERB ring you dug!  With three bottle caps in the hole, as well?  I'd say you did a GREAT job on that!

CONGRATS!!

Steve