GPZ 7000 Auto, Semi Auto, Manual ???

I totally agree Reg that when people spend money they want things right, and the more money, the more they want it to be right. I too know many Minelab horror stories I could tell, especially on the business side of things and especially here in the United States. Aussie business practices are notoriously unforgiving and the company does many things I think are totally counterproductive. I have my own laundry list at the moment, but rather than air it on forums I am writing up a letter to the CEO. Will it change anything? Doubtful, but if people really do care about such things then the more letters like that the better.

Long story short if around a campfire you might be surprised at what would come out of my mouth. I probably agree far more than you know with your thoughts on the subject. Sadly I also know that the other manufacturers are not immune from all this nonsense. Most of these companies are far smaller than people think and run more like small family businesses than corporate enterprises. You simply have seen more of it from Minelab because that's where your exposure has been. First Texas units more often than not undergo numerous revisions. The Garrett AT series needed a complete makeover after being released. If you did not hear about White's MX Sport mess, well, it was a real mess.

Having sold ATVs, generators, outboards, heaters, water pumps, motorcycles, boats, snowmobiles, etc. etc. from names like Bombardier, Evinrude, Honda, Mercury, Suzuki, Polaris, Yamaha, Johnson, Husqvarna, Polaris, etc. I can also promise you I have seen far worse with far, far more expensive products. I have been screamed at to my face in our service department by upset owners on new, failed product. I have been sued because of manufacturer mistakes. All new product made by anyone can fail, and companies as a rule choose denial as a first response before ever admitting errors. Minelab is far from alone in all this, and far from the worst.

Anyway Reg, I am sorry your friends had problems. Thank you for a reasoned response - you kind of made my day. :smile:

• Like 5

Fred,  despite my unfortunate reputation as a bit of a stirrer and even troublemaker, I have enormous respect for Steve for the way he runs this as one of the few serious remaining gold and prospecting forums.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Actually polite disagreement is what makes this forum go. It is the differences that add to our knowledge. It's especially true when people with an abundance of  knowledge and experience, work out their differences in ways that educate us all.

Thanks...

• Like 2