Wrap Up Equinox 800 / GPX 5000

I'm speechless.  The very best collection of beach finds I've ever saw.  I'd be happy with 10% of what was found on any hunt.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Happa54 said:

It is interesting you say this re the Nox. A couple of months ago I was at an old 30's small semi-desert park and the infill was sand and grass on top. I hit some deep high CO signals and after about 8" of digging I covered the holes and walked away thinking deep rusted iron or irrigation pipe. I think I understand now and I may have walked away from some good finds.  Also have the So Cal beaches at my disposal and yet I have never hunted them. I do good on coins but lousy on jewelry. After seeing your wrap up I think I better head to the ocean and at least give it a try. Thanx for sharing. 

Deep iron can still fool you sometimes. Getting used to the pinpoint on the EQ is tricky sometimes too. You may have just been off a bit. If the signal was weak then maybe it was a bit deeper. If the signals was very strong you may have been slightly off center and missed it. If you do those beaches, I use beach 1, sensitivity  as high as I can get it and a slower recovery speed. But just the stock program works well too. Good luck if you do them.

12 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Average of 1 gold find and 6 silvers per hunt?!  Obviously you not only have some good sites, but particularly know what you are doing.  This sounds like the good old days when virgin ground was abundant.

It continually pains me to see the condition of the silver you get on the beaches.  Does seawater always do this (I mean around the world)?  Land hunting here in the US Midwest, silver coins come out of the ground as pristine as the day they were dropped.  (Pennies and nickels, not typically.)  I've done just a smidgen of waterway hunting (just a couple creeks) and have yet to find silver there so don't know about that.

It seems odd that someone in the US Northeast takes the summer off from detecting and can do so well through the darker (colder) months.  Due to the warm weather, schools being on break, and (late summer) creeks being low it seems to be my best hunting time.  Maybe I should head up your way when the sun goes to reduced hours.  ?

Thanks,  The beaches up here are hammered pretty well. We have a lot of detectorists now, more than ever. The difference is nature is eroding our banks and producing stronger storm surges. This strips away more sand, just allowing some of the older targets to be in range for certain machines to find them. Exposing the coins also exposes more black sand and more rocks, so the average detector isn't gaining much because of the conditions. Now, the PI units and the experienced detectorists can hit some of these targets easier than before.  Yes our silver is oxidized due to  (I think) Sulphur and/or Chlorine reaction which is not good for silver. Tumbling in the sand doesn't help either!  Yep for me, winter is great for beach hunting and summer is cellar holes and battle field projects I do.  If you are ever up this way in the colder months, PM me and we can hit a beach. CT and RI beaches.

10 hours ago, strick said:

Nice work! looks like beach #2 was the hot spot this spring. Looking forward to your "battle field" stuff.

strick

Thanks strick, Beach #1 and beach #2 traded targets. One was great for gold and decent on silver, the other was great for silver, but decent on gold.  Just did my 3rd battlefield hunt (today). They are boring compared to the beach, as I only found 5 round ball (musket balls). But believe it or not, that was a great couple of days work. In 1637 round ball was the weapon of choice for the English. The Natives on the other hand had brass arrow points. For those hunts the EQ is first to go over an area, but it is no match for the GPX. When that thing enters the field, no lead is left behind lol.

8 hours ago, Randy Lunn said:

schoolofhardNox,

Congratulations on a superb year. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Thanks Randy, I'm really grateful for my success this year. I will see this fall if any of it is repeatable. I'm feeling a bit better today and  I was almost presentable at todays hunt. I kept to myself most of the day though. No one wants to hang out with the old sick guy LOL.

5 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Fabulous display of gold and more - very impressive!!

Thanks  Steve, With the right equipment, reading forums like this one, You Tube (after weeding out the junk videos) and Clive's book, All I had to do was add the time and muscle. In essence I am a well equipped ditch digger :)  I di want to thank you for having this forum and for keeping the rules realistic, but firm. It really shows.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Mark Gillespie said:

I'm speechless.  The very best collection of beach finds I've ever saw.  I'd be happy with 10% of what was found on any hunt.

Thanks Mark. To say I wasn't surprised myself would be an understatement. I struggled the first time I went beach hunting about 2 years ago. I would never have thought anything was left to find. I was naïve and under-educated on how a beach works. Not that I have learned how it does work, even today :blink:. My answer to lack of knowledge is to dig a lot of holes :laugh: We shall see if I can repeat some of it this fall. I did see the same results with some New Hampshire guys on You Tube. They were killing the silver and gold like never before. Their beaches were stripped way down!

• Like 1