Emergency Jump Starter / Charging System

I have two batteries in my trailer so I am not worried when I tow it along with me.

On the other hand, I have a Walmart charger for emergency starting when I don't have the trailer...new car batteries can die at anytime by just enough to not start the engine...

and I drive automatics and could not push a little red wagon anymore...

I never have quite figured out how many times I could recharge my gpz with it...maybe next time I go.

fred

• Like 1

I've been carrying a unit from Walmart for a few years now it has light, air pump, USB and jump start, the thing was about 50 bucks and has worked great and I've saved a few people grief out on the road including myself. It will also give me quite a few pulls with the 4K portable winch, comes in handy moving tree trunks and rocks as well as a back-up to the winch on the front of my jeep.

IMG_1703.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, 1515Art said:

I've been carrying a unit from Walmart for a few years now it has light, air pump, USB and jump start, the thing was about 50 bucks and has worked great and I've saved a few people grief out on the road including myself. It will also give me quite a few pulls with the 4K portable winch, comes in handy moving tree trunks and rocks as well as a back-up to the winch on the front of my jeep.

IMG_1703.JPG

Must admit i have both a heavy duty battery pack as well as a portable electric winch as well and snatch block,which i carry in a box,although i have never used it but when you mentioned about using it as a temporary recovery winch and it has the power to drive the winch then its going back into the boot of my truck for that odd occasion that i may need it.

On its own i think the pull is about 2000lbs but with the snatch block it doubles it,thanks for a terrific idea

• Like 2

I have 2 batteries in my rig with a isolator in between, and a solar panel mounted on top. 

• Like 2

Rick, about two years ago I drove my old Mercedes ml into a snow drift up a dirt road in the Sierra on purpose and got stuck. First I tried just a straight pull with the 4K winch, but the car didn't hardly budge (flat ground)  I have a recovery snatch block that doubled the pull to 8k and that pulled me from the snow no issue although I have no real way to measure how much pull I'm getting from the little jump starter. The 9k winch on the front of the jeep is a whole different league compaired to the atv winch. A set of jumper cables will power the winch off the car battery also I've done that too. But the ability to take the little winch with the portable power on a hike is useful. One day I pulled two big rotten trees and a big boulder out of a giant hole the old timers left behind and still had power to use it farther up the hill to expose new ground under a couple of down trees, however your charger may be different capacity, good luck with however it works. 

On 5/27/2018 at 12:49 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

A panic situation developed when my truck was dead in an out of the way spot.

Steve, this made me smile when I read it. I just have to tell this short story of a similar situation, only with a jet riverboat in Alaska.

We were in hunting camp in a very remote spot, no one else ever came up the river where we were, so no help was coming when my battery went dead. We had been in camp a week and didn't use the boat. But when we went to start it it just clicked.

It took a lot of brain storming but I came up with a solution that worked. I had a small chain saw for firewood in camp. I also has a spare fan belt. I took the chain and bar off of the saw put the fan belt where the chain went over the pulley on the saw. The fan belt then went over the alternator pulley. I wired the chain saw securely and started it. This effectively charged the battery and we were on our way in about a half hour.

I have another weird story of starting a jet boat motor when the battery went dead, but I'll save it for another time. I just thought this might help someone else in the same situation.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, 1515Art said:

Rick, about two years ago I drove my old Mercedes ml into a snow drift up a dirt road in the Sierra on purpose and got stuck. First I tried just a straight pull with the 4K winch, but the car didn't hardly budge (flat ground)  I have a recovery snatch block that doubled the pull to 8k and that pulled me from the snow no issue although I have no real way to measure how much pull I'm getting from the little jump starter. The 9k winch on the front of the jeep is a whole different league compaired to the atv winch. A set of jumper cables will power the winch off the car battery also I've done that too. But the ability to take the little winch with the portable power on a hike is useful. One day I pulled two big rotten trees and a big boulder out of a giant hole the old timers left behind and still had power to use it farther up the hill to expose new ground under a couple of down trees, however your charger may be different capacity, good luck with however it works. 

I hear exactly what you are saying,of course a dedicated front winch mounted on a purpose built winch bumper is the proper tool for the job and of course its wired direct into the main harness,thats the way forward especially if you do alot of off roading or miles away from any form of help,so thats is your insurance that it will get you out of almost all difficult situations.

But for the most part on my permissions or my detecting sites on farmland in general here in the UK as yet i have never got stuck that requires a real heavy hitter winch setup,in my mind it would be a massive amount of money sitting on the front end of the truck that would maybe used once or if at all,so this is the reason that i went down the route of a temp recovery winch with the snatch block,i do have a plug in lead plug like what the use on forklift truck chargers so i can use the winch direct from the vehicles power source.But if the truck battery goes flat and i am unable too start the engine,i could/can still if need be use the temporary power supply and temp winch with the snatch block.

So if the occasion ever did occur,which as yet its never happened then at least i could have a 'very good chance' of getting out of a stuck situation.With the snatch block method that i use it doubles the pulling power of a winch but reduces the speed of the line retrieval,but line retrieval speed is not a issue as such its the pulling power,also the added beauty is that if/when i was too sell my 4x4 then i could transfer it over to another truck.So although its not the ideal 100% setup it does work and as long as one is aware of the limits of the setup then use it accordingly.

• Like 2